Old Mar 26, 2010, 12:09 PM
Foamie in a Tree
Calgary, Alberta Canada
Joined Aug 2009
58 Posts
Discussion
42" AJ Slick or 48" Extreme Flight Edge 540T-EXP

Hi all.

Looking at one of these two planes, I know each has their devoted group of fans and lovers, wondering if you guys could help me make a choice on which one I should purchase as my next plane.

Really into 3D, but I would enjoy improving my sport skills as well. Also, I live in Canada so shipping might be an issue if one or both companies doesn't ship up here, some insight on this would be great.

I like that the Edge has tail surfaces which are airfoils, Also the Edge seems to have very little if any coupling in KE flight with the non scale appearance and SFGs. But, I also enjoy that the AJ Slick is scale.

Looking to fly hard, and also to have a set up that when the day comes I can easily move into my next plane.

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/detail.aspx?ID=2488

http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/48edge.html

Thanks for the help!

LJN
LeeJ is offline Find More Posts by LeeJ
Last edited by LeeJ; Mar 26, 2010 at 12:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2010, 12:15 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,038 Posts
The 42" Slick is a great little airplane and flies bigger than it's size. But I think that extra 6" on the Extreme Flight are going to mean a lot. It is just a bigger airplane. I would go with the size. That being said, there are plenty of really excellent planes in the 48" size range.
Gregg28 is online now Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Mar 26, 2010, 12:18 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,453 Posts
The 51" slick might be closer to the 48" edge in size and weight.

Have not flowen the Edge, but the 42" slick is very easy to harrior, Knife edge is very solid with little coupling. great tumbles.

If you have a motor for the 42" slick and it needs a home then it will be a great choice.

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Mar 26, 2010, 12:28 PM
Foamie in a Tree
Calgary, Alberta Canada
Joined Aug 2009
58 Posts
I was just thinking that as well.

The "51 is the one that Bonedoc flies in the 3d training videos and it looks fantastic, similar size to the 48" Edge.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 12:35 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,038 Posts
The 51" Slick is actually a lot bigger than the 48" Extra. The Extra is about a 400 Watt plane. The Slick is 700 or more. The three planes compared are significantly different because of size if nothing else. What size plane do you want?
Gregg28 is online now Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Mar 26, 2010, 01:22 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,615 Posts
You might want to consider batteries too. The little Slick runs nicely with 1300-2200mah 3s. I *believe* the Extreme Flight 48" plane is meant for 4s operation.

I personally love my little Slick, and would replace it immediately if anything were to happen to it. OTOH, I recently got to see an EF 48" EXP in person, and it is very well made. I was really impressed by the construction, use of carbon fiber reinforcement, covering, and the overall look of the plane. Unfortunately I didn't get to see it fly.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Mar 26, 2010, 02:57 PM
Foamie in a Tree
Calgary, Alberta Canada
Joined Aug 2009
58 Posts
The videos i have seen of the 48" Edge EXP flying are fantastic

I suppose from watching the videos of the 42" and 51" slick I can't see a difference because they look like the same plane in the air. from a computer screen at least
Old Mar 26, 2010, 02:57 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,488 Posts
I would pick any 3DHS plane over ANY extreme flight plane anyday, I hate to say it but the EF/ planes are to fragile, my dad has the 47inch yak i did have one thought were great planes until i flew my mini show time from e flite and flew the extra 300 from 3DHS... the slick is much better built airplane. that's my 2 cents worth
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Mar 26, 2010, 06:59 PM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Oct 2004
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
I would pick any 3DHS plane over ANY extreme flight plane anyday, I hate to say it but the EF/ planes are to fragile, my dad has the 47inch yak i did have one thought were great planes until i flew my mini show time from e flite and flew the extra 300 from 3DHS... the slick is much better built airplane. that's my 2 cents worth
I agree with you on the 47" Yak that is fragile but the question now here is the new generation EF planes and I can say that these new GEN 48" planes from EF is the most durable from its class.i can say these because I have them both 42" Slick, 51" Slick, 48" Extra EXP and 48" Edge EXP.They are all both durable planes but I'll put EF on the top. I dont know if you seen the construction of an EF plane? Carbon Rod fibers from motor box to the tail, formers sandwich with composites specially where the landing gear.I just atempted to do an elevator landing so many times with this planes but still cant break it.Crazy blenders and tumbles with no sweat.

Why choose, get them both cause I love them all cause they are only in my Hangar and others were sold.You cant go wrong wtih 3DHS and EF plane.
Micronics is offline Find More Posts by Micronics
Old Mar 26, 2010, 07:05 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,615 Posts
the landing gear plate on the 48" exp I looked at was crazy strong looking...and the overall construction and CF reinforcement was very reminiscent of the 65" Vyper from 3DHS.

That being said, I've smacked the ground unbelievably hard with the 42" Slick. The only thing that breaks from time to time is the landing gear. that little plane is so tough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micronics View Post
I agree with you on the 47" Yak that is fragile but the question now here is the new generation EF planes and I can say that these new GEN 48" planes from EF is the most durable from its class.i can say these because I have them both 42" Slick, 51" Slick, 48" Extra EXP and 48" Edge EXP.They are all both durable planes but I'll put EF on the top. I dont know if you seen the construction of an EF plane? Carbon Rod fibers from motor box to the tail, formers sandwich with composites specially where the landing gear.I just atempted to do an elevator landing so many times with this planes but still cant break it.Crazy blenders and tumbles with no sweat.

Why choose, get them both cause I love them all cause they are only in my Hangar and others were sold.You cant go wrong wtih 3DHS and EF plane.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 07:51 PM
Foamie in a Tree
Calgary, Alberta Canada
Joined Aug 2009
58 Posts
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I think you are right, buy both. Seems everyone loves the one they have be it a slick or an EF.

But, for now I think I am going to purchase the EF 48" Edge based on the construction and airfoil tail surfaces
Old Mar 26, 2010, 08:07 PM
Lets Make a Deal
Parrish, FL
Joined Apr 2008
7,292 Posts
I am a little confused why you are trying comparing two different size planes that are different models from different manufacturers?

Rob
Hypersprint is offline Find More Posts by Hypersprint
Old Mar 26, 2010, 08:24 PM
Foamie in a Tree
Calgary, Alberta Canada
Joined Aug 2009
58 Posts
Going to be making a new plane purchase, comparing them to decide which one to purchase since they are the two that I am interested in.
Obviously some folks own or have flown both so just asking
Old Mar 26, 2010, 08:26 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,615 Posts
You mean you think we are comparing apples to oranges?

Maybe it's because some people like to consider the differences before they decide what to buy. There are definitely a lot of "pros" for either choice here, just a matter of determining what setup is right for you.