SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 26, 2010, 12:57 PM
United States, OH, Maineville
Joined Oct 2008
311 Posts
Discussion
Old Chris Craft

Heres another oldie but goodie. One of our members came to our club meeting last Wednesday carrying this armful of antique Chris-Craft. The model is 50" long , scaled at 2"=1'. It was built by his Dad in 1944. Dad owned the full sized one, took measurements of it and built the model. No plans used. It was never powered - no motor, no prop. I'm told it was put together with little nails and Testors model airplane glue. Its in good shape considering that it has laid around for 66 years in garages and basements. Some of the interior upholstery has been chewed up by mice. Note the head (toilet) up in the bow compartment.

It's a model of a 25' Chris Craft cruiser, but which one? We don't know. Any of you Chris-Craft authorities out there know? Its a handsome looking boat and if plans were available it would make a great R/C model, built to this size or even half this size. As for this one, it will be cleaned and hopefully put in a case. Family heirloom.
John Fryant is offline Find More Posts by John Fryant
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2010, 01:14 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Very nice model- I'll pull out the book (Chris Craft the Essential Guide)and post the info later today. This boat is in the book-

On the topic of these older boats, note the registration number on the bow of this model... anybody know the "logic" behind these numbers? Currently reg numbers in the US are typicially 2 letters for state, 4 numbers, 2 letters... example "CF 1234 AB" for a california boat...

The older reg numbers I've seen start with 2 numbers, a letter and 3 numbers...

Most seem to start with "38" in old pictures I've seen...

Anybody know the background?
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Last edited by Aerominded; Mar 26, 2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 02:35 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,134 Posts
This looks like the one.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Last edited by woodybob; Mar 26, 2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 03:08 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Ya beat me to it, WB!
Old Mar 26, 2010, 04:51 PM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,111 Posts
Aero, the last 2 letters in the modern reg. numbers are the owners initials. Nice model John,does need motor,radio etc though.
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Mar 26, 2010, 05:12 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
In CA, the "CF numbers" are "first in, first out"- not personalized like other places apparently.

Any leads on the 'old' numbering system? I understand that it was introduced in the mid or late 30's... not sure when the current system took over, I would guess early 1960's

(sorry to go off topic, John! )
Old Mar 26, 2010, 05:54 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,990 Posts
This might be of some related interest:

http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/ma...documents.html
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Mar 26, 2010, 11:06 PM
United States, OH, Maineville
Joined Oct 2008
311 Posts
Old Chris Craft

Yep, thats it. Looks identical to the model. All of us present at the club meeting agreed it should not be restored or powered with R/C. That would destroy its antique value. The owner says he plans to clean it up and hopefully put it in a case. We all felt that it is family treasure and should be kept as originally built.

Thanks for the catalog page! If there are any plans extant, the Mariner's Museum in Va. probably has them.
John Fryant is offline Find More Posts by John Fryant
Old Mar 26, 2010, 11:29 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded View Post
Ya beat me to it, WB!
oops...

Dad must of been proud. Wonder where the real deal is today?
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:27 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodybob View Post
oops...
Hee hee!

John, sounds like the owner of this model has the right idea- I would only give it a cleaning and not attempt to otherwise restore it... I would even keep the mouse eaten bench cushion... it really is a great model!

Now, the idea of building a working replica of the model, that has major appeal!

Mariner's M. probably does have the drawings! (they have the complete C*C archive through about 1980, IIRC)
Old Mar 27, 2010, 06:07 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,752 Posts
"Margie" was restored from such an old model...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3118820

...and was re-launched with the original builder looking on, from his comfy chair at lake's side... was a touching event.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:26 PM
United States, NJ, Waldwick
Joined Jan 2009
153 Posts
The early registration numbers were done by the USCG. I do not know the meaning of the system. I do know what the numbers were for three of our antique boats. Tried to research them twice. The first time I got all the info on our steamboat and was told that nothing available on the other two. A bunch of years later I learned about some paperwork archives somewhere, so I checked this out only to learn what bins the paperwork on the other boats were in and the exact date it was destroyed. This date was after the first time I tried to learn about it.
MKC Syd is offline Find More Posts by MKC Syd
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:31 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Thanks, MKC Syd! I was thinking this system may have been "Federal" (USCG) instead of state but wasn't sure...

I'm also under the understanding that the numbers were required to be larger, as seen on this model, during the war... most of the time (in pictures) they appear to be @ 3"... which is the standard today...

Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:24 AM
Joined Apr 2010
2 Posts
IMG_0245.jpg from link in post 11 is a sedan of some sort. Can anybody tell me if this is a kit or scratch build??
Hello all BTW new here, glad to meet you all.
Wm Miloh is offline Find More Posts by Wm Miloh
Old Apr 23, 2010, 10:30 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,134 Posts

prolly scratch built...