HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2010, 02:28 PM
houston
Joined Jun 2007
51 Posts
Discussion
on your prefrlight check list, remember to check your...

screw that affixes the TX to the neckstrap!

My plane went into the water. Since I was so close, I decided to reach for it without removing my TX/neckstrap.

(The faster flowing areas of the drainage ditch, (leading to a man made lake) and the fact that I would have to run off real quick to set the TX in a non damp area, factored in the "TX is SECURE around my neck..and time is of the essence to get the plane" i thought to myself.

PLOP! the TX fell into the water, at the ONLY point I was physically over water for 1.5 seconds. so now i have a dead plane, and dead TX

(it was a brand new neckstrap, so not thinking about it, I had checked it only once (last week) after the initial tightening.... (loc-tite is your FRIEND.) I'm not mad about the plane, but pissed at myself over the transmitter. what are the odds? (MURPHYS LAW)

SO, just for reference, it is not ONLY just the plane, that needs to be checked, but ALL hardware that permits you to fly. no matter how trivial you may think it is.

I do have video of it (plane going down, but the I was behind the camera. but you do see the sploosh of water droplets going into the frame, when TX decided to let go.) I may post in a bit. :P

just a reminder.
GAU-8 is offline Find More Posts by GAU-8
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2010, 03:18 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Now that is what I call a BAD FPV DAY.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 25, 2010, 03:39 PM
houston
Joined Jun 2007
51 Posts
for a second a calming thought came into my head

"why how odd...my neckstrap is still on me, yet the TX is FALLING....that cant be right"..

one of those bilisecond thoughts while reflexes are in action. but too late :P

rendering vid now. might be a bit

GAAAAARH.. right now its horrible quality. "supposedly" it will get better after youtube rendering or what not. but i have no idea how to do better image quality on youboob. its wmv, for HD..meh. last few seconds of the clip and its in the drink.

BOINK into the drink. (4 min 52 sec)
Last edited by GAU-8; Mar 25, 2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 08:16 PM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,444 Posts
GAU-8 ... I'm really sorry this happened... but thanks for the reminder. The checklists get so long that we're all tempted to overlook things that were fine on the last flight. Again... really sorry for that man...
workshop is offline Find More Posts by workshop
Old Mar 25, 2010, 09:30 PM
Microbursts hurt.
United States, MD, Mt Airy
Joined Jun 2005
189 Posts
Thanks for sharing the reminder.... and oh man, I feel bad for you, and know what one of those days can be like. Sorry!!
jknust is offline Find More Posts by jknust
Old Mar 25, 2010, 09:38 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
servos, cameras, etc can handle a fair bit of water. let them dry and check your equipment again. receivers, transmitters are usually the first to need replacement. your plane wasn't fully submersed, so it shouldn't be all lost
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old Mar 26, 2010, 01:03 AM
houston
Joined Jun 2007
51 Posts
sorry for the typos. i noticed the main title : bang head:

one of the good things that i liked about my old job was openly talking about what can be performed better, next time to prevent an accident (after it occured) its a humility thing at first ..nobody wants to be blamed for wrong doing. but lets be honest. more than likely most things are attributed to human error (speakinng of ...im on my cellphone, as i post this. fat fingers, and small keyboard dont mix !)

the plane is fine, all the servos, surfaces work. but the RX/TX are done. completely. but i have a few lesser quality backups for the meantime it doesnt bother me about the plane, i was willing to risk it for the "star wars death star thermal exhaust port pass"..lol just cant believe what happened exactly the moment i was over the water with the TX. a second earlier, or a second later, it would have fallen in thic@k grass. ah well. THATS FLYING....as long as i learned a lesson.

and whats most important is that hopefully i just saved somebodys TX/neckstrap from having the same