SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 11, 2010, 05:36 PM
I just wanna fly
USA, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Jul 2005
600 Posts
I got my Champ last Friday and was lucky to get a first flight on Saturday morning before the winds kicked up.

My first flight was straight out of the box. I quickly found the Champ is quirky on the high rate. A quick landing, change the transmitter to low rate and back in the air. Much better! Take offs were able to be done with about 1/2 throttle and a slow cruise at about 1/3 throttle. Loops and turns quite nicely and recovers itself from just about any attitude.
Landings are a piece o' cake! Just cut the throttle back to idle, set up a glide and guide her in! The Champ likes to float so I found myself doing some quick power off circles to land just to bring it down.
Glad I got this plane, it'll be a lot of fun to take along to my various glider competitions to play with during fun fly sessions!
I'm going to try to bind it to my X9303. I'll post again after I give it a try.
slozuke is offline Find More Posts by slozuke
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2010, 05:47 PM
USA, GA, Darien
Joined Dec 2009
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slozuke View Post
I got my Champ last Friday and was lucky to get a first flight on Saturday morning before the winds kicked up.

My first flight was straight out of the box. I quickly found the Champ is quirky on the high rate. A quick landing, change the transmitter to low rate and back in the air. Much better! Take offs were able to be done with about 1/2 throttle and a slow cruise at about 1/3 throttle. Loops and turns quite nicely and recovers itself from just about any attitude.
Landings are a piece o' cake! Just cut the throttle back to idle, set up a glide and guide her in! The Champ likes to float so I found myself doing some quick power off circles to land just to bring it down.
Glad I got this plane, it'll be a lot of fun to take along to my various glider competitions to play with during fun fly sessions!
I'm going to try to bind it to my X9303. I'll post again after I give it a try.
I had the LHS bind mine to my XP9303.....but I dont know how to set up rates, etc....Let me know what you find.

Thanks
Andy
Grits is offline Find More Posts by Grits
Old May 11, 2010, 05:50 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellysmack View Post
dont forget it has a diffrent gearbox than the P-51
It would be dumb for it not to use the same gear ratio/spur gear as the Mustang, though, since its the same as the Sukhoi, 4 site, Christen Eagle and Edge 540.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old May 11, 2010, 06:21 PM
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,725 Posts
OK. Curiosity go the best of me. I opened it to take a look. It's a white endbell, the motor measures 8.5 x 19mm.
Here's a pick of the guts Sorry for the quality of the motor pic, but you get the idea...
Dave
SumthinsFishy is offline Find More Posts by SumthinsFishy
Old May 11, 2010, 09:11 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
It would be dumb for it not to use the same gear ratio/spur gear as the Mustang, though, since its the same as the Sukhoi, 4 site, Christen Eagle and Edge 540.
Going by parts replacements Sukhoi and P-51 have same part numbers for Motor and gear box
Motor not listed alone for Champ but Gear box has different part number.

Champ
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...arts%20Listing
Gear Box (No Motor): Champ
$6.99 [HBZ4929]

Gear Box with Motor: Champ
$15.19 [HBZ4930]

Sukhoi
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...prodDetailTabs
Gearbox without Motor: Sukhoi Su-26m, Micro P-51
$5.99 [PKZ3527]

Motor: Sukhoi Su-26m
$11.99 [PKZ3516]

P-51
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...arts%20Listing
Gearbox without Motor: Sukhoi Su-26m, Micro P-51
$5.99 [PKZ3527]

Motor: Micro P-51
$11.39 [PKZ3616]

Motor and Gear Box: Micro P-51
$14.24 [PKZ3624]
Hellysmack is offline Find More Posts by Hellysmack
Old May 11, 2010, 11:26 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumthinsFishy View Post
OK. Curiosity go the best of me. I opened it to take a look. It's a white endbell, the motor measures 8.5 x 19mm.
Here's a pick of the guts Sorry for the quality of the motor pic, but you get the idea...
Dave
Just as I thought. Sukhoi motor.
Old May 11, 2010, 11:28 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Going by parts replacements Sukhoi and P-51 have same part numbers for Motor and gear box

Motor: Sukhoi Su-26m
$11.99 [PKZ3516]

Motor: Micro P-51
$11.39 [PKZ3616]
They are the same part number if the numbers 6 and 5 are the same number (only when following a 3).

Otherwise they are different part numbers.
Old May 11, 2010, 11:51 PM
@Home
Joined Jan 2007
1,410 Posts
Finally got a chance to fly it this morning (for more than 30 seconds), before the wind picked up again, and about an hour ago (around 8:00PM), until I got tired of being eaten by the mosquitoes (still scratching like crazy!!!). Technically I had maiden it on Sunday, for about 30 seconds, in between the wind blowing about 20MPH and a deluge that came about 2 minutes later.

The Champ has tons of power at full throttle, holds altitude well at about 1/2 throttle, and flies a little faster than the ultra-micro J-3 Cub (at least seems like it), but definitely has a much better glide ratio than the UM J-3. If launched like a small DLG (grabbed by the wingtip and tossed), it can easily climb to about 15-20' in 20' at about 45 angle and continue climbing at about 30 or so. During this morning flights I have attached my keychain camera (paint already coming off the fuselage) and took couple short videos, one of which I'll post sometime later tonight on YouTube.

Just like the UM J-3, having extra weight on board (like a camera) helps with light winds, since it doesn't bounce around as much. It has a tendency to "turn" into the wind, as do most planes with a wing dihedral. It flew OK out of the box, but adjusting the elevator helped a little. Now I can toss it lightly and it will gently glide to the ground.

Vas
VasMan is offline Find More Posts by VasMan
Old May 12, 2010, 01:13 AM
Warbird crazy!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Sep 2004
3,767 Posts
Another successful maiden .

I was out for some flying at our club field tonight and when the wind finally died down a bit near sunset it was time for the Champ.

She took off with half throttle and climb out was surprising. The wind picked up again the wind sock at 45 degrees and I thought the Champ may just blow away. I gave her some down elevator and 3/4 throttle and no problem cutting into the wind. Did a couple of loops and some sharp turns. This plane will as they say turn on a dime.

After about 5 minutes time to land so I walked the Champ down the wind for a nice 3 pointer. I see many fun flights ahead with this one. A winner for sure.

John
new2rc is offline Find More Posts by new2rc
Old May 12, 2010, 02:08 AM
@Home
Joined Jan 2007
1,410 Posts
As mentioned above, here's an on-board video from the Champ.

Enjoy,

Vas

HobbyZone Champ with on-board camera (2 min 45 sec)
VasMan is offline Find More Posts by VasMan
Old May 12, 2010, 02:31 AM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,513 Posts
Nice Video, Good flight and landing. I just picked up a champ today. Hope the winds quiet down soon so I can get it in the air.
sleb is offline Find More Posts by sleb
Old May 12, 2010, 03:02 AM
Wichita, Ks.
Joined Feb 2004
224 Posts
I just picked one up tonight. I contacted the folks at tinybrightlights.com about making up a set of lights for this one. I hope to fly it outside my coach late at night when the winds die. Does the rx have a open channel to plug the light system into? I am new to the micros and have not cut mine open yet.
n001pa is offline Find More Posts by n001pa
Old May 12, 2010, 05:02 AM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,208 Posts
I can’t wait I think I am going to like this Bird.
Last edited by Hellysmack; May 12, 2010 at 05:24 AM.
Old May 12, 2010, 05:20 AM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
They are the same part number if the numbers 6 and 5 are the same number (only when following a 3).

Otherwise they are different part numbers.
You are right I did not see that, thanks for pointing that out.
Motors are different and gearboxes are the same on Sukhoi and P-51.
Fact remains Champ is still using different part numbers, for gear box.
Old May 12, 2010, 08:39 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
You are right I did not see that, thanks for pointing that out.
Motors are different and gearboxes are the same on Sukhoi and P-51.
Fact remains Champ is still using different part numbers, for gear box.
That just could be the design of the mounting pins. I seriously doubt that it would use a different spur gear/shaft, since all of the other 8.4mm motored micros use the same one (including all of the Kyosho ones)... and the Mustang prop it uses works great with the Sukhoi motor and this gear ratio.