HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2011, 09:19 AM
Champs Anonymous Member
United States, MD, Bel Air
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
I'm posting this here - even though it was taken from my Super Cub LP.

My Champ flew the cam with no ROG issues, however I had the keychain cam too far toward the rear which caused an incurable tail-heavy condition. So the ensuing video from the lil' Champer would have given you all intense migraine headaches.

But I have reinstalled the broken 5043 and believe I have the CG issues worked out, so maybe later today you'll see a new video - taken from my souped-up Champ I!!

You'll see my two flying fields: the one I'm on, plus the one with the vacant house in the field "behind" me (east).
ENJOY!
Beautiful sunrise and neighborhood Mac, although too flat for my liking The houses are beautiful.
GJOsik is offline Find More Posts by GJOsik
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2011, 12:35 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2008
313 Posts
Hi all,

I am on my 2nd champ after loosing the first. I am doing OK with it... It is still in one piece. Learning left from right...etc I have a few questions:

1) If it is up there, how do you bring it down? Do you cut throttle and glide or remain power and point nose down?

I read post here that some things being able to fly the champ well does not translate 100% over to another "real" plane since it is self correcting. I find the self correcting to be true. Since I don't know how to bring to plane down, I use the "death spiral" (stick full left or right) to get low then just let the stick go. It does level out and I take over again. How does one bring a plane down the "real" way?

2) my normal 150 pack I am getting 8 min of one click below middle throttle on my dx6i cruising speed. I used hyperion 240 and at the same throttle position, the plane flies a little faster and I get about 15 min on it. It just seems a little less floaty compare to the 150. There is a .05 oz increase in weight. What throttle does everyone cruise at?

My max time with out crashing is about 5 min now so I am getting better. I am also no longer flying high like my first one in fear of loosing it. So no more than 30 ft off the ground for the most part. It is hard to tell for me since I can't seem to judge pitch well. The plane will climb slowly and I can't tell till it is next to say a 2nd floor deck then I know to bring it lower.

Thanks for the help.
jseeker101 is offline Find More Posts by jseeker101
Old May 10, 2011, 12:50 PM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseeker101 View Post
Hi all,

I am on my 2nd champ after loosing the first. I am doing OK with it... It is still in one piece. Learning left from right...etc I have a few questions:

1) If it is up there, how do you bring it down? Do you cut throttle and glide or remain power and point nose down?

I read post here that some things being able to fly the champ well does not translate 100% over to another "real" plane since it is self correcting. I find the self correcting to be true. Since I don't know how to bring to plane down, I use the "death spiral" (stick full left or right) to get low then just let the stick go. It does level out and I take over again. How does one bring a plane down the "real" way?

2) my normal 150 pack I am getting 8 min of one click below middle throttle on my dx6i cruising speed. I used hyperion 240 and at the same throttle position, the plane flies a little faster and I get about 15 min on it. It just seems a little less floaty compare to the 150. There is a .05 oz increase in weight. What throttle does everyone cruise at?

My max time with out crashing is about 5 min now so I am getting better. I am also no longer flying high like my first one in fear of loosing it. So no more than 30 ft off the ground for the most part. It is hard to tell for me since I can't seem to judge pitch well. The plane will climb slowly and I can't tell till it is next to say a 2nd floor deck then I know to bring it lower.

Thanks for the help.
I may can help with ? #1
You can either point the nose down a little and reduce throttle.. or cut the throttle and she'll glide down smooth. This will come with time, just keep flying and practicing and you will get it.

I like to use the kamikaze method and go WOT straight down. This is not a good method for noobs tho, and possibly over revs the engine.

The champ is a little too easy to fly, but the BEST first plane you can buy. Once you have full control and orentation I think its a good idea to move on to more advanced planes. Keeps the learning process growing.

If you fly a champ for a year.. you will stop learning new things after the first month. And you will learn bad habits.. Like releasing all controls when in trouble.. That will turn any other perfectly good airplane into little pieces of foam..JMO
Viper82 is offline Find More Posts by Viper82
Old May 10, 2011, 01:28 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper82 View Post
I may can help with ? #1
You can either point the nose down a little and reduce throttle.. or cut the throttle and she'll glide down smooth. This will come with time, just keep flying and practicing and you will get it.

I like to use the kamikaze method and go WOT straight down. This is not a good method for noobs tho, and possibly over revs the engine.

The champ is a little too easy to fly, but the BEST first plane you can buy. Once you have full control and orentation I think its a good idea to move on to more advanced planes. Keeps the learning process growing.

If you fly a champ for a year.. you will stop learning new things after the first month. And you will learn bad habits.. Like releasing all controls when in trouble.. That will turn any other perfectly good airplane into little pieces of foam..JMO
I want to get my next plane by mid-end of June. I am thinking of the t-28.

Keep at it jseeker!
astronaut is offline Find More Posts by astronaut
Last edited by astronaut; Jun 29, 2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old May 10, 2011, 01:32 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,855 Posts
I removed the tail wheel from the rudder a long time ago to help prevent the rudder from being ripped off if the tail wheel catches.

Mounted it right into the fuse just after the orange paint.

Never have any trouble steering using the rudder and quick throttle bursts.

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old May 10, 2011, 01:43 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
I removed the tail wheel from the rudder a long time ago to help prevent the rudder from being ripped off if the tail wheel catches.

Mounted it right into the fuse just after the orange paint.

Never have any trouble steering using the rudder and quick throttle bursts.

Ridgewalker
Wait a minute, that sounds like a good idea but something doesn't make sense to me. If the wheel is not being steered by the rudder, how will the plane go in the direction I want it to when it's on the ground? Am I misunderstanding?

Or is it that your short bursts of throttle cause enough flow of air to actually use the rudder to change the direction of the airplane? Sorry, I am just a little confused, and if you have any pics lying around of your setup, I'd love to see them. Thank you.
Old May 10, 2011, 01:45 PM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut View Post
I want to get my next plane by mid-end of June. I am thinking of the t-28. Anyways, I land by slowly releasing the throttle and pointing the nose down. I like to go for scale landings as I think they look the coolest. The only problem is that my Champ has a wonky back wheel and cannot run straight on the ground. It always veers left. I want to use some pliers to adjust the wheel, but don't know if that is alright in terms of harming the plane or not.

Keep at jseeker!
I've had to bend my tail wheel slightly to get it to track straight ROG. just be easy on it. it will pull off the rudder pretty ez.

Now this is JMO and some may disagree. But I feel a T-28 isn't a great 2nd plane. Unless you get the UM. Simply because crashes won't be as bad, since its so little and lite.

You really would be better off with a High wing trainer, with ailerons.
A T-28 is more of a Warbird trainer than a Aileron trainer. BIG BIG step.

I would get the T-28 3rd, it would be a great low wing trainer

It will pay off in the long run to get a larger High wing trainer. Things happen fast on a warbird with ailerons.. My p-47 on hi rates will barrel roll twice in a second.

Multiplex makes some great high wings.. but they aren't cheap. Probably some of the best foamies you can get. Mini Mag looks awesome.

You really need to get use to using ailerons before getting a low wing..
Learn to turn and pull. Not saying you couldn't go from the champ to a big T-28, I just think you would save money and have more fun getting a high wing 4ch before a low wing warbird.

after probably 2 weeks on a larger high wing, you would be ready for a low wing.

Now if your talking about getting a UM T-28... then I just wasted 5 minutes typing this

** Check out this new big Champ from HH** Kinda pricey, but beautiful. Someone loan me $200 and I will test it out.
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ncaChamp15eARF
Last edited by Viper82; May 10, 2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old May 10, 2011, 01:56 PM
Ridgecrest Calif
Joined Nov 2010
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseeker101 View Post
The book says to control altitude with throttle. That's probably best when starting out. The traditional way for emergency down is bring the stick full back and right. That will set up a descending spiral that you can break out of by just letting go the stick.

Learning to keep your altitude within a band of your choosing is an excellent exercise. Another is to put the plane in your specific choice of location versus just keeping it in the air. Keeping it in the air is too easy so those other two exercises are critical if you want to develop skills for a future harder plane.

If you're worried about losing it due to height, you can mitigate that by keeping the plane directly upwind from you. So it tends to drift closer. The higher you fly it the further away upwind you keep it. You want an emergency down to drop it into your lap. Higher means fewer crashes while you're learning.
WAM74 is offline Find More Posts by WAM74
Old May 10, 2011, 02:02 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper82 View Post
I've had to bend my tail wheel slightly to get it to track straight ROG. just be easy on it. it will pull off the rudder pretty ez.

Now this is JMO and some may disagree. But I feel a T-28 isn't a great 2nd plane. Unless you get the UM. Simply because crashes won't be as bad, since its so little and lite.

You really would be better off with a High wing trainer, with ailerons.
A T-28 is more of a Warbird trainer than a Aileron trainer. BIG BIG step.

I would get the T-28 3rd, it would be a great low wing trainer

It will pay off in the long run to get a larger High wing trainer. Things happen fast on a warbird with ailerons.. My p-47 on hi rates will barrel roll twice in a second.

Multiplex makes some great high wings.. but they aren't cheap. Probably some of the best foamies you can get. Mini Mag looks awesome.

You really need to get use to using ailerons before getting a low wing..
Learn to turn and pull. Not saying you couldn't go from the champ to a big T-28, I just think you would save money and have more fun getting a high wing 4ch before a low wing warbird.

after probably 2 weeks on a larger high wing, you would be ready for a low wing.

Now if your talking about getting a UM T-28... then I just wasted 5 minutes typing this

** Check out this new big Champ from HH** Kinda pricey, but beautiful. Someone loan me $200 and I will test it out.
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ncaChamp15eARF
Hey! Sorry but I did mean the UM version! Sorry!! What are your insights on that?

Also that Champ looks soooo nice! It looks like such a peaceful and relaxing plane to fly, just like the UM version we own. Wow! I wish I could get that lol
Old May 10, 2011, 02:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Today with the Keychain cam. I had a prity nice size Field, and taken a run of a good 30 minutes, a few angles, and a test run again with the keycam. Then said time to really get the plane up with the Keychain cam.

I placed the keychain behind the battery location, and this was the best place, not liking the video due to the rolling shutter, dropped frames, distortion of propeller, and timestamp. Cannot complain. Possable a filter may fix this.

As I gained high Altitude, I am sure I could have gone higher and further. I was contented.

I used STOCK, repeat STOCK champ

1 stock propeller
1 240mah battery. 20 plus minutes run time
Calm day

The Plane was had launched, lifted with ease, and sored high with not a problem, while hearing others say. this, and that.

If this was a windy day I am sure I be in trouble.

I was in control. I did try to do a loop and I did swerl to the side I called it quits as soon as I got my footage.

I am in 7th heavon. Back home up to 25mph winds and not good LMAO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oMIa5KowiI
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 10, 2011, 02:16 PM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,904 Posts
Quote:
Hey! Sorry but I did mean the UM version! Sorry!! What are your insights on that?

Also that Champ looks soooo nice! It looks like such a peaceful and relaxing plane to fly, just like the UM version we own. Wow! I wish I could get that lol
I've haven't flown a UM T-28, but lots of guys get it for a 2nd plane. You should be good. Its so light, when you crash it should survive.
UM's aren't really for me, since I fly in big fields... I also like to go real fast in 10-15mph winds.
I've saved alot of money on speeding tickets since I started flying RC
Same rush you get from going 140mph in a car... just not risking your life or others...
unless you crashed it into someone or yourself.. I've came close to hitting myself with my F-86 doing low level high speed passes.

I'm loving that big champ.. I bet take offs and landings and touch and goes would be a thing of beauty. Think about floats on that thing... MAN, I'm drooling.
Old May 10, 2011, 02:52 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,855 Posts
Quote:
Wait a minute, that sounds like a good idea but something doesn't make sense to me. If the wheel is not being steered by the rudder, how will the plane go in the direction I want it to when it's on the ground? Am I misunderstanding?

Or is it that your short bursts of throttle cause enough flow of air to actually use the rudder to change the direction of the airplane? Sorry, I am just a little confused, and if you have any pics lying around of your setup, I'd love to see them. Thank you.
Yes the air over the rudder allows it to turn.
It won't turn tight like with it on the rudder,i'm ok with the slightly less turning ,it's worth saving the rudder to me.

Also used some thin cf rod to strengthen the bottom of the rudder,that was after the tail wheel caught on something on a landing and tore the rudder.

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old May 10, 2011, 03:19 PM
Champs Anonymous Member
United States, MD, Bel Air
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
Just got back from flights 5, 6, 7, and 8. Still more flying to do this evening when it gets cooler. I FINALLY got to have some interaction with some birds. Is it wierd that I wanted that to happen? He didnt stay around for long, I either scared him ( He was a big'un) or he couldnt keep up with my menuevers Thank God i had my hyperion in, he made a beeline straight for me. Luckily I was up high enough I just hit hard right rudder did a high G death sprial and he called it quits. Champ 1 Bird 0

Also had my first brownout, she was wayyy up there and kinda far away over some houses. ( I wonder what its like to see a tiny little airplane over your head and have no idea where it came from). I tried to regain control and bring it back to me but it went into a death spiral and nosed straight in to someones yard (have met them before, really nice people) of course the Champ survived
GJOsik is offline Find More Posts by GJOsik
Old May 10, 2011, 03:36 PM
Joined Feb 2008
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM74 View Post
The book says to control altitude with throttle. That's probably best when starting out. The traditional way for emergency down is bring the stick full back and right. That will set up a descending spiral that you can break out of by just letting go the stick.

Learning to keep your altitude within a band of your choosing is an excellent exercise. Another is to put the plane in your specific choice of location versus just keeping it in the air. Keeping it in the air is too easy so those other two exercises are critical if you want to develop skills for a future harder plane.

If you're worried about losing it due to height, you can mitigate that by keeping the plane directly upwind from you. So it tends to drift closer. The higher you fly it the further away upwind you keep it. You want an emergency down to drop it into your lap. Higher means fewer crashes while you're learning.
I assume you mean the rudder full right and elev full back? When you let go, it will self recover on "normal" planes or the Champ?

I am able to as you put it, put the plane in my choice of location. I am better at it now that I fly it 95% of the time as oppose to keep it in the air. Although I still get disoriented at the most critical moments like wind gust during a turn or sight blocked by tree. I am getting better at putting it at a certain height band as long as it is say my height or below. Above that, I can't judge height well. Every circle it flies, it gets just a bit higher till it is too high.

I also can't judge distance depth like is the plane next to that tree or did I clear the tree. As matter of fact, I just retrieved my plane from my neighbor's tree just now. I need to remind my self to always turn away from trees.

As for keeping it upwind, I have read that before. Except I am not good enough to judge wind direction up high yet. I think I can turn and pivot and watch the body bounce to determine but I am not good enough yet. I lost the first one because it was down wind from me so I will keep this in mind.

thanks for the great feedback.
Old May 10, 2011, 03:42 PM
Joined Feb 2008
313 Posts
Quote:
I want to get my next plane by mid-end of June. I am thinking of the t-28. Anyways, I land by slowly releasing the throttle and pointing the nose down. I like to go for scale landings as I think they look the coolest. The only problem is that my Champ has a wonky back wheel and cannot run straight on the ground. It always veers left. I want to use some pliers to adjust the wheel, but don't know if that is alright in terms of harming the plane or not.

Keep at it jseeker!
Thanks! I like the scaleness as well. That's why I want to learn a non death spiral way to bring it down. Eventually, I would like to do ROG stuff on my local street (I am on grass right now) so I need to learn to not plop it on the cement ... expensive repair bill.

No matter how I trim, mine like to nose up. If I trim at level flight at 1/2 throttle, it will nose up just 1 click up and nose down one click down. I don't want to say very pitch sensitive but more so than I would like. I think I am Ok with CG. Don't have a good way to check. If anything, I am nose heavy due to bigger wheels and 240mah batt.

Thanks