SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 07, 2010, 09:19 PM
Warbird crazy!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Sep 2004
3,762 Posts
Alright twoplanekid!
Congrats.

I stopped by my LHS for some paint and what do ya know they just got in about 8 of these pups .

Now they have 7 .

Hoping to maiden her tomorrow then get to work on some struts.

John
new2rc is offline Find More Posts by new2rc
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2010, 12:10 AM
@Home
Joined Jan 2007
1,410 Posts
Picked up two (one for self, one for friend) today from LHS. The plane looks really nice, but weather this afternoon has been anything, but micro friendly..

Vas
VasMan is offline Find More Posts by VasMan
Old May 08, 2010, 01:44 AM
Eating Bacon :)
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2006
112 Posts
Thanks Vas.

Yep, The wind is blowing alittle hard here.

Notice the wings? Under cut but they have some thickness to it. All I managed to do is taxi around on the ground so far.

Greg
greghol is offline Find More Posts by greghol
Old May 08, 2010, 11:36 AM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,202 Posts
My LHS said next week, Hope Mine is not back ordered. WINDS NUTS here.

Just called LHS the next delivery (Their first Champs) will be Thursday. Ooooooh Immm DIEING
Hellysmack is online now Find More Posts by Hellysmack
Old May 08, 2010, 11:43 AM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Now is stock! Are you having fun yet? On one, the motor mount was a little bit too far forward which makes the prop shaft gear rub on the inside of the front cowling. Other than this, it looks great. I am now waiting for the winds to die down for the first flight.

1hr. later - could not wait. Few in winds of 20k gusting to 25k. Now, the area I fly in is a little larger than a gym and is surrounded by trees that bear most of the force of the wind. It seemed like I was under control for the whole flight. The Champ can fly much easier in this small area as compared to the P-51 and seems to not have the tip stall tendencies of the Cub. It has plenty of power to keep flying. The landing gear seems to want to spring out of the keepers when landing on grass. A joy to fly and a must to have!
Thanks for the report sound great.
20k gusting to 25k? how does that compare to mph?
Old May 08, 2010, 10:11 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,202 Posts
http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft%...onca/pirep.htm
some good read
Old May 08, 2010, 10:35 PM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
303 Posts
20 Knots = 23.0 MPH . I call the AWOS at Grimes Field, about two miles away, for the current winds and other weather info.
twoplanekid is offline Find More Posts by twoplanekid
Old May 09, 2010, 01:24 PM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
I picked up one of these yesterday. Naturally I got around to doing this after the indoor fly-in, which is a shame, because it would've been a good gymnasium plane.

Opening the box, it looks very scale. Just needs some struts to complete the scale appearance. It even has scale wingtips, which helps its stall characteristics immensely. The only really non-scale things about it are the dihedral and the amount of undercamber in the wing.

Decided to try flying it this morning with the cheap-o TX that it came with, though I will re-bind it to a better radio later. There is no mention in the manual about the Champ's CoG, that I could find straight off. So I just stuck the battery as far forward in the compartment as possible, which seems to be where it is supposed to go. Took the throttle up and gave it a light toss. Mine climbs aggressively under power and require several clicks of down trim on the elevator to keep it level at one-half throttle or less. It flies as precisely as a three-channel plane can, even with the cheap TX. Climb and descent rates are predictable for a given level of throttle.

The stall characteristics are mild. It will give some warning (by way of a little wing-rock) before it stalls. When it does so, it tends to drop a wingtip and then mush forward into a shallow, descending turn (though I admit this wingtip drop may have been because the stock TX with its tiny sticks and no expo might be registering some rudder to go with the elevator I was giving it.) It is stable enough that you can get it into any bizarre orientation and release the sticks, and the plane will recover into level flight with enough altitude. All the usual three-channel aerobatics are possible. Inverted flight requires quite a bit of finesse.

Flight time? Long. I'm not exactly sure how long it'll go on that 150 mAH cell, though I suspect over 10 minutes at half throttle or less might be a reasonable number to expect.

Oh yeah, and it'll haul a 10 gram keychain camera with no complaint and little negative impact to its flight performance. Sadly, I should've thought to recharge the camera's battery before affixing it to the plane, as I got back a zero byte video file.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old May 09, 2010, 11:20 PM
Joined Nov 2009
286 Posts
Thanks for the review -- I've been waiting on one before buying, but this looks about perfect for me. A little bigger (and hopefully more capable of dealing with wind) than the Ember2, but still small enough to fly in my backyard.
amckenzie4 is online now Find More Posts by amckenzie4
Old May 09, 2010, 11:30 PM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
303 Posts
Are we trying to catch the Champ or into the bushes again? The rudder, forward extension, above the top hinge needs to be reinforced. I will take a picture of the damaged area. The rubber throws are fine and it's not too tail heavy. My excuse for any damages to the Champ is that the area is small, winds are strong, looking out for kids, .....
Last edited by twoplanekid; May 10, 2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old May 10, 2010, 07:24 AM
HK--Phils.
Joined Dec 2006
898 Posts
Do you mean the rudder throw is not enough, and the plane is tail heavy? What about the hinge?
Thanks for sharing everyone, i've ordered the night vapor, and am looking at the P51 too, but this one looks really nice for my 2 kids to learn flying.
heliboy88 is offline Find More Posts by heliboy88
Old May 10, 2010, 08:05 AM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,202 Posts
Question
On my old Firebird Outlaw I covered the leading wing edge with packing tape and it really helped with the preserving the main wing. Is this still a common practice?
Old May 10, 2010, 02:55 PM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
303 Posts
A wrinkle on the rudder that was not there when new! As the Champ rudder has more area here than the Cub, it needs to be reinforced at this location. With the wrinkle, rudder authority is diminished. A little tape on both sides should help fix the issue and might have prevented it from happening in the first place.
Old May 10, 2010, 05:08 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
A wrinkle on the rudder that was not there when new! As the Champ rudder has more area here than the Cub, it needs to be reinforced at this location. With the wrinkle, rudder authority is diminished. A little tape on both sides should help fix the issue and might have prevented it from happening in the first place.
Thanks for the heads up, was that from flying or from flipping in grass?
I could see taping a toothpick on as well.
Old May 10, 2010, 05:17 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellysmack View Post
Question
On my old Firebird Outlaw I covered the leading wing edge with packing tape and it really helped with the preserving the main wing. Is this still a common practice?
On "larger" planes yes. But with these micros we try to keep them light.
Don't worry about it on ths plane.
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity