HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2011, 06:57 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,983 Posts
Brad copter-man! Brother I'm believe'n you're a hot shot pilot with that ripped Champy you got going there.....But Bob's still the STUD pilot of this thread! Did you catch that fine wind flying that guy put on video? He's always talking all modest and low key, but you know he's a sleeper. I wouldn't play poker with him that's for sure. Anyway, glad you got the bush champ going again.
Dave
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2011, 08:00 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
On the cells. I have to figure the stuff out, for my cell its not worth the while.

I say it gets uploaded to a video place like youtube. then not the youtube phone, but the actual classic, browser you work off that.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 20, 2011, 08:10 PM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
Well I just got my tail put back together.

Couldn't salvage the decals, so I'm going to have to figure something out. Looks to plain.

The tail wheel is hard to tape in place. I have a tough time working with this small delicate material.

Anyway, shes rtf now. Can't wait to take her out and see how it flys. I've got to get one of those keychain cams. Hopefully tomorrow I can test it out. 17% chance of rain and 10mph max winds.... We'll see.
Viper82 is offline Find More Posts by Viper82
Old Apr 20, 2011, 08:22 PM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad copter View Post
1 1/4 dubro wheels...the rims that came with them didn't fit.(the holes were too big) so i took the stock champ rims and hot glued them into the new tires..

sviking: how did you get the bigger tire on the back?? i tried but the wire was too short to fit..did you have to install a new wire on the tail??
Thanks Brad they look really good, did you pop out the rims on the new wheels and just used the old rims?

Thanks again!
jer291113 is offline Find More Posts by jer291113
Old Apr 20, 2011, 08:34 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Just got back from 4 Champ flights and a few T-28 runs. Both planes were "in the shop" today and both flew fabulously tonight.

It feels great to have the Champ back in the air. There was a good 8MPH steady wind and the Champ kept nosing-up and stalling. I trimmed her down as far as my DX6i would go, but she was still swinging upward. So, I brought her in and gave the elevator loop a slight squeeze and that solved the issue.

The T-28 was just poetry in motion. No issues, even in the wind. Just a perfect plane - no matter of it's calm or blowing 10MPH.

Brought along my Airfield 800mm P-51 Moostang, the bright silver with the blue nose. I had added some nose weight and was going to fly her, but the sun had gone down and I decided to wait (again).

Brad, I have a UM P-51 motor in Champ1, which is why I'm PO'd that my LHS guy sold me a bum servo! I have the 5043 prop, the P-51 motor and the Hyperion 180Mah battery. It should be a screamer -- once I get the brick straightened out!

Hope you all had a great evening of flying!

Mac
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Apr 20, 2011, 09:03 PM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
Mac, did you get a HZ servo or a different servo? Just wondering cause my rudder servo is kinda wiggin out and will probably need replacing soon.

I did my first tiny soldering job today. Soldered a antenna on a clone 6110e rx. Went good. range tested great. My old antenna lost its insulation and was bare wires... lost a few strands too.
Viper82 is offline Find More Posts by Viper82
Old Apr 20, 2011, 09:05 PM
United States, FL, Key Largo
Joined Apr 2011
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
Just got back from 4 Champ flights and a few T-28 runs. Both planes were "in the shop" today and both flew fabulously tonight.

It feels great to have the Champ back in the air. There was a good 8MPH steady wind and the Champ kept nosing-up and stalling. I trimmed her down as far as my DX6i would go, but she was still swinging upward. So, I brought her in and gave the elevator loop a slight squeeze and that solved the issue.

The T-28 was just poetry in motion. No issues, even in the wind. Just a perfect plane - no matter of it's calm or blowing 10MPH.

Brought along my Airfield 800mm P-51 Moostang, the bright silver with the blue nose. I had added some nose weight and was going to fly her, but the sun had gone down and I decided to wait (again).

Brad, I have a UM P-51 motor in Champ1, which is why I'm PO'd that my LHS guy sold me a bum servo! I have the 5043 prop, the P-51 motor and the Hyperion 180Mah battery. It should be a screamer -- once I get the brick straightened out!

Hope you all had a great evening of flying!

Mac
yea well i just got in from flying i need somthing taht can handle more wind, when ti take the champ out with the new 5043 prop, and new 1inch landing wheels and i ended up cliping a powerline thanks to the wind, and i threw the battery and my new landing gear off of it and i cant find them now, till tomorrow
minegun2 is offline Find More Posts by minegun2
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:16 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
I'm not one for long flight times. I always cut my throttle back to about 60% after I run a few rounds at WOT. Once I cut back, I might do one or two more fast, WOT routes again, but then I'll bring the Champ in for a landing.

Having owned several muscle cars (mostly GTOs) I know that heat is your #1 enemy for any engine or motor.
I truly believe that the Lipos and your motors will last much longer if you don't just peg the throttle at 100% from start to finish.

However, I was kind of amazed to read about this easy mod that'll give you about 20-minute flights.

It's the BLADE 120SR battery - 3.7v 500Mah 12C and an adaptor (JST to RCY) that gives you this nice, long flight time.

Here's the Lipo:
Link: 500mAh 1-Cell 3.7V 12C Li-Po
$9.99

And here's the adaptor you'll need:
Link: JST-RCY to Ultra Micro Battery Adapter Lead by BLADE $2.49

I think a few guys here (Brad?) already have Blade 120s, so they might just need the simple adaptor plug.

Anyway, just throwing that out there.....
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:17 PM
Tip stallin around town..
USA, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Nov 2010
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Brad copter-man! Brother I'm believe'n you're a hot shot pilot with that ripped Champy you got going there.....But Bob's still the STUD pilot of this thread! Did you catch that fine wind flying that guy put on video? He's always talking all modest and low key, but you know he's a sleeper. I wouldn't play poker with him that's for sure. Anyway, glad you got the bush champ going again.
Dave
hahahaha no i'm far from ace pilot..lol just really good at touch and go's with the champ.i'm frustrated cause everyones always struttin there stuff on video and i can't get mine to load.the video i made tonight captured some awesome low flying..did a sweet turn rite in front of the camera with the wing about 1 inch off the ground..ggrrrrr!!..everytime i try to upload onto utube it always says some stupid error message..yeah bob's ok..
brad copter is offline Find More Posts by brad copter
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:22 PM
Tip stallin around town..
USA, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Nov 2010
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer291113 View Post
Thanks Brad they look really good, did you pop out the rims on the new wheels and just used the old rims?

Thanks again!
yeah just like you said,,took the rims out and installed new tires on the stock yellow rims
brad copter is offline Find More Posts by brad copter
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:41 PM
I love HAM
Joined Nov 2005
725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Offtopic:

Did somebody say lick wounds today, so yes we got our champs back, and this is my real Champ. He ate Two pounds of mixed choclated enough to say over 3X the lethal dose of Chocholate poisoning, a few years ago, and now a torn legiment. Operated yesterday, and back home today recouping 6 weeks he be running. so Yeah we can say got our owunds licked.

Sorry about your dog fishy! Is his name really Champ? lol
Schermvlieger is offline Find More Posts by Schermvlieger
Old Apr 21, 2011, 02:12 AM
Callsign: Zulu
Somewhere in the skies!
Joined Feb 2011
565 Posts
Hey mac, can you post the part # of your mod to repair the champ servo? How did you do it bro? Could come in handy. I had one stuck on me this morning (it was wailing and refusing to move) Luckily, it was just a tooth that was rogue. Fixed it out with a sharp/small knife and it ran fine again.
Stuka_99 is offline Find More Posts by Stuka_99
Old Apr 21, 2011, 04:31 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermvlieger View Post
Sorry about your dog fishy! Is his name really Champ? lol
OT:

nah He is a Champ, His name is Jake. I would take the Rc stuff out,and he go after it, but the champ may scare him till he gets used to it. if it looked like a Dawg cookie then Oh boy watch out. LOL.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 21, 2011, 05:59 AM
Callsign: Zulu
Somewhere in the skies!
Joined Feb 2011
565 Posts
A testament to how much a modded Champ wing can take. If you ever buy a wing, just tape it from one end to another and it will do the trick. (now I wonder why they don't do it from the factory, maybe to force some sales?) One mistake I did back then was rip the wing off like in the HH video told me. Luckily, I managed to salvage it by cutting both wings equally and putting a foam piece in the middle and forcing in a dihedral. I have a new wing sitting on the sub bench, but the old one just keeps on going!

That is ghetto modding lol Ain't pretty, but it does the job, still flies great (apart from a dying motor that doesn't wanna part too)

What a bird if you ask me.
Stuka_99 is offline Find More Posts by Stuka_99
Last edited by Stuka_99; Nov 19, 2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 07:05 AM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
I'm not one for long flight times. I always cut my throttle back to about 60% after I run a few rounds at WOT. Once I cut back, I might do one or two more fast, WOT routes again, but then I'll bring the Champ in for a landing.

Having owned several muscle cars (mostly GTOs) I know that heat is your #1 enemy for any engine or motor.
I truly believe that the Lipos and your motors will last much longer if you don't just peg the throttle at 100% from start to finish.

However, I was kind of amazed to read about this easy mod that'll give you about 20-minute flights.

It's the BLADE 120SR battery - 3.7v 500Mah 12C and an adaptor (JST to RCY) that gives you this nice, long flight time.

Here's the Lipo:
Link: 500mAh 1-Cell 3.7V 12C Li-Po
$9.99

And here's the adaptor you'll need:
Link: JST-RCY to Ultra Micro Battery Adapter Lead by BLADE $2.49

I think a few guys here (Brad?) already have Blade 120s, so they might just need the simple adaptor plug.

Anyway, just throwing that out there.....
Does it fit in the Champ without operating on it? Thanks!
astronaut is offline Find More Posts by astronaut