HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 20, 2011, 03:48 PM
Tip stallin around town..
USA, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Nov 2010
507 Posts
Back in the air!!

just got done installing p51 mustang motor in the champ..i'm praying she lasts at least 2 mos for me..i let it run on the floor at idle speed for about ten min to try to break it in..not sure if that will help but i'm willing to try anything..also purchased some neat dubro 1 1/4 wheels.they weigh just under a gram a piece..champer really looks bush like now and the guy at lhs talked me into purchasing a turnigy 160mah 30c battery..i was hesitant cause it was 12 bucks but you know how it is..gotta have it!!..so with that battery and mustang motor i gave it a short burst of wot and she climbed vertical for about ten ft and then just hung on the prop for a few seconds..i was all!!!..i gave it a go in the short grass with the new tires and to my amazement she ripped through it with pieces of grass flying everywhere and shot into the air...hahahahaha i was laughing out loud..she can even land in grass and i can now use the dirt path as a runway now..the bigger tires makes a huge difference on pavement as well..she sits a lot higher in the air so the prop doesn't dig in on landings anymore.makes touch and goes that much more fun so it's a good day for me..30 dollars poorer but well worth it. oh also gonna try something different, gonna take at least 5-10 min rests between flights..before i would fly 3-4 batteries back to back..maybe that's why i had motor issues??
brad copter is offline Find More Posts by brad copter
Last edited by brad copter; Apr 20, 2011 at 03:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2011, 03:56 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Bigger tires are really nice. I used the 1.5" DuBro foamies on the mains and took one of the original wheels and put it on the tail. She's a real "tundra bird" now.
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 03:57 PM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Sounds good Brad, could you post a photo of those new wheels on the Champ...
jer291113 is offline Find More Posts by jer291113
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 04:41 PM
Tip stallin around town..
USA, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Nov 2010
507 Posts
1 1/4 dubro wheels...the rims that came with them didn't fit.(the holes were too big) so i took the stock champ rims and hot glued them into the new tires..

sviking: how did you get the bigger tire on the back?? i tried but the wire was too short to fit..did you have to install a new wire on the tail??
brad copter is offline Find More Posts by brad copter
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 05:09 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Step aside Bradcoptor, and allow me some funtime to.

I am happy you got out there with a Fixed champ.

My Champ fixed to, only adjustments I will need is trim. I think I trimmed wrong, I know up will throw the plane down, and that was what I needed, afraid to take my eyes off the plane lol.

I am still Floating on Cloud 9, and rather ruin the fun I called it quits, more High winds expected.

3 MPH (knots) unbelivable, 150 mah battery around 30-40% throttle floated foward real slow, and LOVED it.

I believe I had 5 minute flying and never hit LVC, not happy with supplied velcro. WIll adapt a rear wheel on, cannot figure what happened to the orginal one. the Dubro 1.23 are superb they offer excellent movement.

Standard stock pro, no more pro saver, enjoy the Video, and pic of wheels
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv593PmrXAU


fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 20, 2011, 05:17 PM
Registered User
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad copter View Post
1 1/4 dubro wheels...the rims that came with them didn't fit.(the holes were too big) so i took the stock champ rims and hot glued them into the new tires..

sviking: how did you get the bigger tire on the back?? i tried but the wire was too short to fit..did you have to install a new wire on the tail??

Looking good brad

I really like the bigger tires too. I've got the same size, maybe different design tho. I've noticed you won't have as many nose over on landings either and run over little sticks and rocks

Glad to see ya back in the air.
My champs still down... hopefully I can get it put back together tonight. Having to build sandboxes, floor beds, all that good stuff
Viper82 is offline Find More Posts by Viper82
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 05:46 PM
Tip stallin around town..
USA, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Nov 2010
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Step aside Bradcoptor, and allow me some funtime to.

I am happy you got out there with a Fixed champ.

My Champ fixed to, only adjustments I will need is trim. I think I trimmed wrong, I know up will throw the plane down, and that was what I needed, afraid to take my eyes off the plane lol.

I am still Floating on Cloud 9, and rather ruin the fun I called it quits, more High winds expected.

3 MPH (knots) unbelivable, 150 mah battery around 30-40% throttle floated foward real slow, and LOVED it.

I believe I had 5 minute flying and never hit LVC, not happy with supplied velcro. WIll adapt a rear wheel on, cannot figure what happened to the orginal one. the Dubro 1.23 are superb they offer excellent movement.

Standard stock pro, no more pro saver, enjoy the Video, and pic of wheels
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv593PmrXAU


alright fishy..it's on now kid..your very lucky i can't figure out how to attatch videos cause i would blow that red shirt rite off your back with my precision touch&go takeoffs and landings..and now with my mustang motor i could really school you on some wing over maneuvers and climb outs that will make you drool.lol..now i really gotta get my girl to film some of my flying and we can have a wee little video contest..how bout some ground rolls?? enough of that hand tossing!!! don't you know that hand tossing is for chicks??..let's see some piloting skills!!!..maybe you could give me some pointers on how to load videos.i tried but it always says attatchment too big..can't upload..tell me what i'm doing wrong so i can show you my friend what a champ is really capable of..you know i'm just messin with ya rite fishy???..hahaha..seriously, pm me with some pointers on uploading videos from an android phone cause i can't seem to figure it out..thanks fishmyster
brad copter is offline Find More Posts by brad copter
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 05:48 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
MaladroitFL's Avatar
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Looks like we all licked our wounds today and got back on our feet.

I replaced both servos in my 2 Champs.
Champ1 - unsuccessful. The new servo didn't work. It was in a tiny ziplock and not the standard Hobbyzone packaging, so i got ripped off. But not for long.

Champ2- success! Runs great and I'm just waiting til around 7:30-ish when the winds begin to die 'round here.

It really su*-ked without the Champ out there this morning. I had my camera mounted on the wife's tripod again and shot some T-28 and Super Cub footage, but as usual, I was too focused on the camera and let the T-28 do a dive bomb into paved road!

I was plenty PO'd at myself when I saw the damage, as it was cracked or split all the way around the barrel of the nose.

I epoxied, sanded and even went out to the crafts store and got more red paints to be certain I matched it dead-on.
When it was done, epoxy dried, paint dried, etc. it looks okay, but I'm not happy that I've damaged it this badly.

No more videos for me!!!! Not unless a 2nd person is there, or I finish making my hat-cam.

Has anyone ever lopped-off the whole front clip of a micro's fuse and replaced it? If I could get an exact cut, I could return this great lil' runner to its former glory.

BTW, I had the 1.5" Dubros on the Champ, but they looked insane! So, I bought some 1.25" from my LHS and it looked much better and handled the same as with the bigger 1.5's.
Mac
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 05:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Offtopic:

Did somebody say lick wounds today, so yes we got our champs back, and this is my real Champ. He ate Two pounds of mixed choclated enough to say over 3X the lethal dose of Chocholate poisoning, a few years ago, and now a torn legiment. Operated yesterday, and back home today recouping 6 weeks he be running. so Yeah we can say got our owunds licked.

fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 20, 2011, 05:59 PM
Registered User
Ridgecrest Calif
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
No more videos for me!!!! Not unless a 2nd person is there, or I finish making my hat-cam
I was thinking the same thing...but I wonder if I can crane my neck far enough back when the plane gets near overhead. And I'm thinking of experimenting with a sight. Just a soda straw or something sticking down from the brim and stopping at the top of the frame. I'd like to shoot at full zoom, but will need decent accuracy.
WAM74 is offline Find More Posts by WAM74
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 05:59 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
MaladroitFL's Avatar
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM74 View Post
I'm just learning to fly it's big brother. Most un-Champ thing is it's not self-righting. In fact it's self-wronging and I've had more than my share of learning crashes. But wind...what wind? I can even launch it downwind or sidewind with no obvious difference. But you do have to land it upwind unless you want it coming in like a cannonball.
@WAM
Hey man, are you referring to the Super Cub LP?
I've been "training" for bigger stuff on my SC LP and yeah, that plane EATS WIND for breakfast!

I'm really starting to like it more with each passing day. I've crashed it twice, with very little damage. And boy does it scream under WOT!! I'll bet it runs 50-knots at full-throttle. And with the wind, even faster than that.

I rotate my Champ, my UM T-28 and my Super Cub LP each morning so they all can cool down between batteries.

@BRAD-COPTER:
Hey Brad! I bought a couple of Turnigy 160s today too!
I have 4 now, plus a few 150 eFlites and 2 RCBab's 180's....so I sent 2 older 160s to my brother who's on his very first Champ.
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 06:02 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad copter View Post
alright fishy.. some pointers on uploading videos from an android phone cause i can't seem to figure it out..thanks fishmyster
to load videos on here like we do.

Step One. have a Youtube acct, Vimeo acct, etc. and upload to there

Step two copy the link. and paiste it in the post here.

that is it. nothing else.

Do not use the servers manage files, they use up memory, and only allow limited usage, and post links.

On a android. I do not bother with it. I know you have to be on youtube, and to desktop or browser, copy the link and open a new window and the same goes c/p to post.

Yes I did not have to toss the plane. but will work on ground take offs when wheel is on rear. our crab grass is a trip.

If a vid is needed for showing how to here. truely that simple. do not use sites uploads.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Last edited by fishycomics; Apr 20, 2011 at 06:11 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 20, 2011, 06:31 PM
Tip stallin around town..
USA, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Nov 2010
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
to load videos on here like we do.

Step One. have a Youtube acct, Vimeo acct, etc. and upload to there

Step two copy the link. and paiste it in the post here.

that is it. nothing else.

Do not use the servers manage files, they use up memory, and only allow limited usage, and post links.

On a android. I do not bother with it. I know you have to be on youtube, and to desktop or browser, copy the link and open a new window and the same goes c/p to post.

Yes I did not have to toss the plane. but will work on ground take offs when wheel is on rear. our crab grass is a trip.

If a vid is needed for showing how to here. truely that simple. do not use sites uploads.
yeah i just tried again on my phone..i made a sweet video of some low and slow..dammit!!!..i will try fishy but i'm horrible with computers..you guys are lucky i can even post on these threads..or maybe unlucky??
brad copter is offline Find More Posts by brad copter
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 06:41 PM
Registered User
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
I just had my wife make a video of my F-86 flying.

I set the resolution too low (480p)... looks like sh*t.

I'll try to get my champ rtf tonight. I'd like to get in on this touch and go comp. I guess I'll set my cam to 720p but it will take forever to upload on my slow azz connection.
Viper82 is offline Find More Posts by Viper82
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 06:50 PM
Registered User
Ridgecrest Calif
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
@WAM
Hey man, are you referring to the Super Cub LP?
I've been "training" for bigger stuff on my SC LP and yeah, that plane EATS WIND for breakfast!
No I posted that wind video of the micro delta and I was referring to my SuperFly which looks just like that micro but two to three times the size.
WAM74 is offline Find More Posts by WAM74
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion What plane is this? Debolt Livewire Champ-w/short video reacher10 The Builders Workshop 48 Mar 29, 2011 03:20 PM
Discussion Super Champ Restoration x-craft Off-road Cars 48 May 25, 2010 07:48 PM
For Sale Champ (1/8th scale, electric) Maggie Han Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 12 Mar 19, 2010 08:31 PM
For Sale 2x Ni-Mh batts will fit PKZ or HBZ planes gazza1 Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 0 Sep 07, 2009 09:46 AM
Question digital camera for hbz extreme bluescoobydoo Aerial Photography 0 Jul 31, 2005 11:25 AM