HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:01 AM
keep on spinning!
Fort Lauderdale,Florida USA
Joined May 2010
131 Posts
G-Fly/UM/Model Um J3 Champ/HZ planes etc...

The champ might be one of the most photographed model planes around, but she takes on an after life as an original design but said, it is one the least photogenic UMs..
N212LA is offline Find More Posts by N212LA
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2011, 04:20 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
It's nice to see fellow Champ guys jumping on the UM T-28 bandwagon. When the Champ is getting blown around, like Bob's, the T-28 will cut through it and swing downwind with grace and speed.

It's not the plane to run outside when the winds are @ 12MPH+, but it can easily handle 10MPH and not get squirrelly. It gets even better on a DX6i or other good radio.

Now we have N212LA, Blu, Viper(?) and myself on T-28s and the list is growing.

Still love the Champ as my 1st plane and it's still #1 on my list of faves, but when you want to get out and fly, but the wind is too much, the T will get the job done.
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Apr 20, 2011, 04:34 AM
United States, FL, Key Largo
Joined Apr 2011
147 Posts
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy893...2-new-arf.html i think im gona end up with this one. its alittle cheaper, and it a little smaller. and it got more screw to hold the wing down, i like that. but then again since that planes out of stock i still might go with this one.
http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a300-14...-blue-arf.html
minegun2 is offline Find More Posts by minegun2
Old Apr 20, 2011, 04:48 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minegun2 View Post
man its to windy to fly in Fl right now every day its like a freakin wind tunnel. Anyways, ive been teetering on wich plane i want to get next.

these are the planes im looking at.

http://www.hobbyzonesports.com/Produ...ProdID=HBZ7380

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a300-14...-blue-arf.html

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy893...2-new-arf.html

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a182-sk...2-red-arf.html

theses are the plans im looking at, the other planes are a bit bigger and heavier, wich in Fl winds, would be a good thing. the since its so windy in Fl the ailerons i thjink would help keep the plane under controle better then the supercub would. so idk what u guys think?

I have the Super Cub and it rocks! It is very similar to the Champ in many ways, yet it's way bigger (40-inch) and it has gobs of power. In fact. it runs so fast I normally cruise at 50% throttle. Landing it is as easy as landing the Champ, cept it's gonna come in fast on you. I normally cut the throttle completely off and coast her in nice. It handles 8-10MPH wind like it's not even there.
The motor might not be brushless, but it is reliable.

The Nitroplanes "Sky Trainer" Cessna 182 (red or blue) and the blank white Airfield 182 plane are all the same chassis. The plain white one just has less options and is a true "trainer" while the more fancy 182 has LED marker lights, clear cabin windows, nice decals and flaps. I own this plane as well. It is very nice, but NOT a good "trainer". It freaked me out every time I flew it and despite it's great handling habits, you really need experience with ailerons to get her down safely without bending the front gear, which is very fragile. (The front gear rod is hardened steel so I just straighten it back in a vice and put it back in again.)

After several flights of the "182" that all ended-up badly on botched landings, I went to the slightly smaller Super Cub - a true big trainer.

But the slightly-smaller Dynam Cessna is a good choice. I have some friends here who advocated the Dynam over the Airfield Sky Trainer and I wish I had listened. I think it would have been less of a handful. They are all happy with theirs.

If you want my opinion, I am really impressed with the low-wing Art-Tech F4U Corsair. Watch this dude's whole video and see (when the music switches to classical piano) how it just floats like a Champ at very low speeds.
http://youtu.be/a6PaBs2RwXM

BTW: HK just got these in yesterday for only $69 bucks for ARF!
( http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10108)

On the other hand, I have the UM T-28 by Parkzone and it's incredible when handling in FL winds. I know winds are worse in Key Largo though, so maybe look at the Airfield 800mm (31.5 inch) T-28. I just ordered one because I love the flight characteristics of my micro T.

-or-

This plane is another wind-beater that will also float nicely. It won't be a speedy as the Corsair. These options will transition you into faster low-wing planes, but are really decent handling "trainer" type planes.

I think they'd do well in FL Keys winds.

My 2-cents....

Mac
Last edited by MaladroitFL; Apr 20, 2011 at 05:36 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 05:56 AM
CRASH, FIX, REPEAT
United States, KY, Bardstown
Joined Apr 2010
930 Posts
That Corsair is a beautiful plane . I built one from a Top Flite kit 25 years ago. Had a wing of about 68". You really had to stay on top of it as it is an unstable warbird. Thats what made it a great fighter. The Navy use to call it the "Ensign eliminator" becuse so many new pilots were killed learning to fly it. Once you learn its charecteristics though and make it your bit, it will be one of the best planes in your fleet
Still hasent been calm enough to break in my new T-28. Gonna get fed up like Bob and throw it into the wind and hang on! He made some great recoveries in his vid!
helibard is offline Find More Posts by helibard
Old Apr 20, 2011, 06:49 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helibard View Post
That Corsair is a beautiful plane . I built one from a Top Flite kit 25 years ago. Had a wing of about 68". You really had to stay on top of it as it is an unstable warbird. Thats what made it a great fighter. The Navy use to call it the "Ensign eliminator" becuse so many new pilots were killed learning to fly it. Once you learn its charecteristics though and make it your bit, it will be one of the best planes in your fleet
Still hasent been calm enough to break in my new T-28. Gonna get fed up like Bob and throw it into the wind and hang on! He made some great recoveries in his vid!
hb,
You can fly the T-28 UM in some wind. Not in howling winds like crazy Bob!
Yesterday, I had it flying in 8-10MPH and it handled great. Made me feel like I was a real RC pilot for the first time.

I know you'll want to fly in relative calm for the maiden though. (I waited too.) But once you get the feel of this plane, you'll love the way it handles in calm or even windy conditions.

Long live the Micros!!!
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:57 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
hb,
You can fly the T-28 UM in some wind. Not in howling winds like crazy Bob!
Yesterday, I had it flying in 8-10MPH and it handled great. Made me feel like I was a real RC pilot for the first time.

I know you'll want to fly in relative calm for the maiden though. (I waited too.) But once you get the feel of this plane, you'll love the way it handles in calm or even windy conditions.

Long live the Micros!!!

My only experience with Florida winds was the sea breeze along the coast in Surfside where my grandparents lived and I seem to remember it as being more of a steady but strong wind.. But that was a long long time ago is this the winds you guys are having to put up with? Or do you have stuff like I was flying in yesterday which was very bad as it was switching direction 90 degrees or more with every gust. You can see in that video how I was always trying to get a look at the wind ribbon on the truck to see what was going on..

For a wind flier you can go two ways very light with lots of power like the Champ so that it can change it's actual speed quickly as there is no inertia at all when you have no ground speed so you air speed is always changing a lot.. Or you can go with a much faster heavier plane where the wind speed is a much smaller percent of it flying speed and it will have the inertia to plow through the gusts with out slowing down to where it has no airspeed once the gust passes..

So depends on what type of flying you want to do.. And how good you plane handles little crashes, how much you worry about hurting the plane, and the big one how much money are we risking here.. The Champ can be fixed with some glue and tape.. Once you go up in size at all you start getting into bigger repairs that take the fun out of it.. I had 4 planes and a couple of heli's in the truck yesterday and the only two that got any airtime were the Champ and the mCP for all the above reasons..

It's GOT TO BE FUN or it's no longer a hobby..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Apr 20, 2011, 09:22 AM
Callsign: Zulu
Somewhere in the skies!
Joined Feb 2011
532 Posts
These Corsairs look good, but imho, the FMS 800mm corsair beats em all!
Stuka_99 is offline Find More Posts by Stuka_99
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:50 AM
Ridgecrest Calif
Joined Nov 2010
876 Posts
Since we're getting a little off Champ here:

If you want to fly in wind, here's a new prototype micro flying at SEFF in 25mph wind with 40mph gusts. It's from SuperFly and is crash tolerant, repairable & cheap.

Check the launch at 1:50 where he just chucks it into the wind upside down, unpowered and diddles with it for several seconds before lighting it up.

Untitled (5 min 36 sec)
WAM74 is offline Find More Posts by WAM74
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:13 AM
Joined Apr 2011
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
My only experience with Florida winds was the sea breeze along the coast in Surfside where my grandparents lived and I seem to remember it as being more of a steady but strong wind.. But that was a long long time ago is this the winds you guys are having to put up with? Or do you have stuff like I was flying in yesterday which was very bad as it was switching direction 90 degrees or more with every gust. You can see in that video how I was always trying to get a look at the wind ribbon on the truck to see what was going on..

For a wind flier you can go two ways very light with lots of power like the Champ so that it can change it's actual speed quickly as there is no inertia at all when you have no ground speed so you air speed is always changing a lot.. Or you can go with a much faster heavier plane where the wind speed is a much smaller percent of it flying speed and it will have the inertia to plow through the gusts with out slowing down to where it has no airspeed once the gust passes..

So depends on what type of flying you want to do.. And how good you plane handles little crashes, how much you worry about hurting the plane, and the big one how much money are we risking here.. The Champ can be fixed with some glue and tape.. Once you go up in size at all you start getting into bigger repairs that take the fun out of it.. I had 4 planes and a couple of heli's in the truck yesterday and the only two that got any airtime were the Champ and the mCP for all the above reasons..

It's GOT TO BE FUN or it's no longer a hobby..
im on island man, wind arond here is usualy pretty gusty, and the wind varies quite a bit, in the morning 6:00-7:00 winds dead calm, from 4:00-6:00 wind starts to die down again, winds arond here are retarted.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:28 AM
Callsign: Zulu
Somewhere in the skies!
Joined Feb 2011
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM74 View Post

If you want to fly in wind, here's a new prototype micro flying at SEFF in 25mph wind with 40mph gusts. It's from SuperFly and is crash tolerant, repairable & cheap.

Check the launch at 1:50 where he just chucks it into the wind upside down, unpowered and diddles with it for several seconds before lighting it up.

http://vimeo.com/22581426
Interesting for winter flying I'd say.
Stuka_99 is offline Find More Posts by Stuka_99
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:34 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,771 Posts
Brad, just read your post on the lipo fire. I've had problems w/ lipo's during CHARGING, but never thought about them going "postal" while sitting on the shelf.

Will change storage methods tonight!

Thanks for sharing.
Flyboy Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy Steve
Last edited by Flyboy Steve; Apr 20, 2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:12 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM74 View Post

http://vimeo.com/22581426
I liked the hover @ 4:10. It just sat in the air and let the wind pass over it. Cool.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:27 PM
Joined Apr 2011
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
I have the Super Cub and it rocks! It is very similar to the Champ in many ways, yet it's way bigger (40-inch) and it has gobs of power. In fact. it runs so fast I normally cruise at 50% throttle. Landing it is as easy as landing the Champ, cept it's gonna come in fast on you. I normally cut the throttle completely off and coast her in nice. It handles 8-10MPH wind like it's not even there.
The motor might not be brushless, but it is reliable.

The Nitroplanes "Sky Trainer" Cessna 182 (red or blue) and the blank white Airfield 182 plane are all the same chassis. The plain white one just has less options and is a true "trainer" while the more fancy 182 has LED marker lights, clear cabin windows, nice decals and flaps. I own this plane as well. It is very nice, but NOT a good "trainer". It freaked me out every time I flew it and despite it's great handling habits, you really need experience with ailerons to get her down safely without bending the front gear, which is very fragile. (The front gear rod is hardened steel so I just straighten it back in a vice and put it back in again.)

After several flights of the "182" that all ended-up badly on botched landings, I went to the slightly smaller Super Cub - a true big trainer.

But the slightly-smaller Dynam Cessna is a good choice. I have some friends here who advocated the Dynam over the Airfield Sky Trainer and I wish I had listened. I think it would have been less of a handful. They are all happy with theirs.

If you want my opinion, I am really impressed with the low-wing Art-Tech F4U Corsair. Watch this dude's whole video and see (when the music switches to classical piano) how it just floats like a Champ at very low speeds.
http://youtu.be/a6PaBs2RwXM

BTW: HK just got these in yesterday for only $69 bucks for ARF!
( http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10108)

On the other hand, I have the UM T-28 by Parkzone and it's incredible when handling in FL winds. I know winds are worse in Key Largo though, so maybe look at the Airfield 800mm (31.5 inch) T-28. I just ordered one because I love the flight characteristics of my micro T.

-or-

This plane is another wind-beater that will also float nicely. It won't be a speedy as the Corsair. These options will transition you into faster low-wing planes, but are really decent handling "trainer" type planes.

I think they'd do well in FL Keys winds.

My 2-cents....

Mac
well like i said, i like the supercub, but for winds like we have in the keys, in my opinion, u need the extra control surfaces. and the extra weight and the little extra size. the wingspan on a supercub, compared to the dynam is only a couple inches shorter. but it lacks ailerons, and i dont feel like having to cut the wing open to add them later on, id rather alrady have them on and to learn with. supercub is still in the options but im just not shure if its a good as good as a candidate as the other plane. idk i might go with the supercub still i just need somthing that can handle higher winds then the champ does.
Last edited by minegun2; Apr 20, 2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 01:12 PM
Ridgecrest Calif
Joined Nov 2010
876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuka_99 View Post
Interesting for winter flying I'd say.
I'm just learning to fly it's big brother. Most un-Champ thing is it's not self-righting. In fact it's self-wronging and I've had more than my share of learning crashes. But wind...what wind? I can even launch it downwind or sidewind with no obvious difference. But you do have to land it upwind unless you want it coming in like a cannonball.
WAM74 is offline Find More Posts by WAM74