Old Apr 17, 2011, 06:32 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Then there's this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR 650 View Post
I have the same problem wiht the burndout motor twice on the road (I fly wiht the hyperion 160 cell and 240)

Then i think outside off the box and buy the Nine eagle helicoper motor that i now hold togehter 100 yers and have very god power in the helicopter.

That motor you can bay 5-6 dollar on ebay or any rc hobby store and it fitt right in the gearbox on the p-51. Only thing to do is replace the gear on engineaxel from the p 51 motor to the nine eagle motor (be carefull )

The nine eagle motor get longer flight time and more power!!!!!!!!

And best off all last 4 evvvvvver

I draw less amps then tjhe oem p-51 but get more rev to the propeller, verry inpressiv .
I think it outpower a brushless motor in effency in this small class

You don`t even need to replace the propeller

Nine eagle solo pro is the helicoper that have this motor
part nr NE 490202

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Time for a separate thread.

After deciphering some of the posts from XR 650:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5176

I decided to try it for myself.
My Solo Pro motor is being flown in my V1 Sukhoi with GWS 5043 prop using Thunder Power and Hyperion 25C batts.

Best prices:
Nine Eagles Solo Pro motors.
(NE 4902002)

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=11005

http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=3905

Solo Pro motors are an exact size match to Mustang, 4-site, Sukhoi, etc.
8.5mm x 20mm length can.

Advantages are suppose to be:

Much longer lasting motor.

More power.

Longer flight times.

Direct fit in stock gearbox.

My SP motor is currently at 24 flights as of 10/21/10

RPM readings and flight testing shows the SP motor to be equal in power to the Mustang, 4-site, Sukhoi xp... (black end bell) motors.

Mod steps:

Pulled the pinion gear off the Solo Pro with this:
http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/gws...er_1414712.htm

Drilled the Sukhoi pinion to slip on the Solo Pro motor shaft.
Used my Davis Model Products Pocket Drill...
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXC016&P=ML
Edit:
Use a #62 drill bit.

I measured the SP motor shaft dia. at 0.97mm
Found a drill bit in the Pocket Drill that measured 0.98mm

Didn't need any tools to hold the stock pinion while drilling.
It was a quick ream out while holding with my fingers.
Was an easy slide-on fit.

Attached the pinion gear with standard slow cure J-B Weld.

Cut SP motor wires about 1/2" from end bell.

Soldered on Mustang motor wire with stock connector.

Used 0.8mm heat shrink from DX to cover the wire solder joints.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.23454

My motor has been running perfectly.
I've been flying 160, 180 and 240mAh packs.
This motor is sweet!
Mine runs quiet and smooth.

Others have starting testing these motors as well.
Please post your results!

rc
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2011, 06:32 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
This is the Newb thread for Newbs that buy Champs.

Removing a pinion and putting it onto another motor so it actually works isn't a newb skill.

Pointing a Newb to a motor THAT REQUIRES the pinion to be changed for it to work... that costs MORE than a bolt in replacement motor is not advice I'd give a newb in a newb thread.

I know better.

RCB is selling bolt in replacements. The motor you linked to, ISN'T.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Apr 17, 2011, 06:38 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
This is the Newb thread for Newbs that buy Champs.

Removing a pinion and putting it onto another motor so it actually works isn't a newb skill.

Pointing a Newb to a motor THAT REQUIRES the pinion to be changed for it to work... that costs MORE than a bolt in replacement motor is not advice I'd give a newb in a newb thread.

I know better.

RCB is selling bolt in replacements. The motor you linked to, ISN'T.
This thread is NOT in the Beginner's forum.
Nice try though.

I'm not getting into this with you. Whatever you wanna believe is fine with me.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 07:04 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
This thread is NOT in the Beginner's forum.
Nice try though.

I'm not getting into this with you. Whatever you wanna believe is fine with me.
I'm not a beginner, have a 2500 square ft garage full of tools, but don't own a tiny pinion puller or a .097" drill bit or a drill press.

I have tried to remove pinions with tools I do have and usually screw them up pretty badly.

After you pull the pinion off you $18 motor and swap it with the one from your dead motor, be sure to let us know if it was worth the trouble when you can get a 4 site or mustang motor for $13 or less, shipped to your door and all you have to do to it is stick it in and plug it in.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 07:20 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
I had fried chicken and mashed 'taters for dinner, you?
Old Apr 17, 2011, 07:59 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
All I had was a turkey sandwitch
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 17, 2011, 09:16 PM
United States, MN, Eden Prairie
Joined Nov 2007
13 Posts
Well, just had my first flight with my new champ. Could not wait for winds to die down. They were still about 6-8 mph, but much better then yesterday with 15-20 mph. She flew great and it was fun in the wind with making her kite around. She's going to stay in my trunk to be the "just in case" I need a plane to fly.

The only thing I wonder about is the noise from the gear box. Seems that it sounds "better" when it's close to 75-100% throttle. Is that normal? Maybe I'm just used to brushless/no-gear box types of planes?? I'm sure this has been addressed somewhere in the forum, but I had to stop reading after 50 or so pages...... Thanks to all that contribute on input/mods for this great little plane.
mattman is offline Find More Posts by mattman
Old Apr 18, 2011, 06:37 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
This "looks" like the servo I need. It's for sale here @ RCG in the micro/indoor planes section.

The set-up is the same (left vs. right) and it's only $6 (he has 3 of them).

Here's the link:
HK Linear servo

Any thoughts or advice?

DISCLAIMER: This is a QUESTION - not a statement that I am buying this piece. I am ASKING others their OPINION on whether this part might work in my Champ and am not posting it to entice verbal abuse or undue criticism for not being a certified Horizon Hobby parts guru. Having been in the rc airplane hobby for all of 6-7 weeks, I need to ask questions sometimes.

It's a shame I have to put a disclaimer in, but quite suddenly, our friendly thread has become a place where the mere mention of parts is an invitation for others to flame.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 07:03 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
This "looks" like the servo I need. It's for sale here @ RCG in the micro/indoor planes section.

The set-up is the same (left vs. right) and it's only $6 (he has 3 of them).

Here's the link:
HK Linear servo

Any thoughts or advice?

DISCLAIMER: This is a QUESTION - not a statement that I am buying this piece. I am ASKING others their OPINION on whether this part might work in my Champ and am not posting it to entice verbal abuse or undue criticism for not being a certified Horizon Hobby parts guru. Having been in the rc airplane hobby for all of 6-7 weeks, I need to ask questions sometimes.

It's a shame I have to put a disclaimer in, but quite suddenly, our friendly thread has become a place where the mere mention of parts is an invitation for others to flame.
That is not the servo you need. Nothing on that servo interchanges with an AS2000 or a Champ brick.

You need an EFLH1066. Period.

Please don't take it personal. Correcting bad advice isn't "unfriendly" or a "flame" but it helps keep the thread worth while and useful.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:39 AM
Tip stallin around town..
USA, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Nov 2010
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
Well, just had my first flight with my new champ. Could not wait for winds to die down. They were still about 6-8 mph, but much better then yesterday with 15-20 mph. She flew great and it was fun in the wind with making her kite around. She's going to stay in my trunk to be the "just in case" I need a plane to fly.

The only thing I wonder about is the noise from the gear box. Seems that it sounds "better" when it's close to 75-100% throttle. Is that normal? Maybe I'm just used to brushless/no-gear box types of planes?? I'm sure this has been addressed somewhere in the forum, but I had to stop reading after 50 or so pages...... Thanks to all that contribute on input/mods for this great little plane.
mattman, congrats on the new champ and welcome to the club..that noise you are hearing is prob the same noise that's been spoke about before.around 1/4-1/2 throttle?? kind of a skipping/vibrating noise?? mine does the same as well as many others..i believe it's normal..not sure what it is but they all seem to do it. so don't worrry and have fun!!
brad copter is offline Find More Posts by brad copter
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:20 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Correcting bad advice isn't "unfriendly" or a "flame" but it helps keep the thread worth while and useful.

You know something?
I have a lot of respect for your knowledge about these micros and all, (especially your long post about scratch-building a Champ - love it), but did you even BOTHER to look at one link I posted about the conversations we had concerning that Solo pro motor?

Did you bother to consider or even read Brad's plight? Obviously, you did not, because you repeatedly gave your own "bad advice" in telling Brad to get a P-51 or 4Site motor when he had already done that and those motors failed. Brad was looking for an answer and had PM'd me that he was thinking of laying low for awhile out of sheer frustration.

Then YOU come to the rescue and tell him to save 5 lousy bucks and get 2 motors that he'd ALREADY TRIED.

You see, you can't just jump into a thread and just totally ignore the previous posts.
If you are trying to coax an insult out of me, it won't happen either, because I don't go ad hominem when debating someone.

So your own bad advice was telling us a SP motor won't fit and that you and your humongous 2,500 sq foot shop can't get a tiny pinion gear off that spline. But RCBabbel did it with a 10-dollar gear puller.

I've known lots of folks who can't admit when they're wrong. It doesn't mean I can't respect them. But you're talking down to not just me - but to Brad and RCBabbel as well, because you have NO IDEA how many PM's we've exchanged - nor do you care to look at those testimonials.

So go ahead and puff your chest out and go all-Texas on us, but I did not give bad advice. We were all well-aware of the pinion gear issue.

BTW, this is NOT a newb forum. The newbs are in the beginners threads this is in the Micro RTF thread. And 99% of newbs are not going to just order a Solo Pro motor without asking a few questions first.

So go ahead live in your awesome world where you are always right. I appreciate the good things you bring here and will continue to respect you and your opinions.

And no matter what your response to this is, I am done wasting my time with this ridiculous argument.

Those who are interested in converting to this motor will do so. Brad and RCB are already working on Brad's new SP motor, btw.

And ... OMG, what is this???
I guess CNY_Dave is making a major mistake too....
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
I just received a solo-pro motor, did the pinion swap, ready to put it in, and then proceeded to knock off the end bell .

Glad they're cheap!

Dave
My next Champ motor will be the Solo Pro too!
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:28 PM
I love HAM
Joined Nov 2005
725 Posts
I never get any PM's ... not fair
Schermvlieger is offline Find More Posts by Schermvlieger
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:43 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
And ... OMG, what is this???
I guess CNY_Dave is making a major mistake too....
CNY_DAVE paid $19 for an unmodified SP motor?

There's nothing wrong with an stock SP motor if you have the tools and skill to modify one to work and you can get one for $8 or so.

As Dave found out its pretty easy to break the motor trying to remove/install pinions, as I'm sure you've found out if you've tried it.

Paying $19 for an unmodified one, then buying a Puller for $10 and spending 1/2 hour modifying it makes little sense for a Champ, when you can buy 3 parkzone motors that will work fine for what a Champ does.

If you get a bad motor from Horizon, call Horizon and get a good motor. There are tens of thousands of HH planes flying in the US with good motors. It isn't like they are all bad.

Stop making it personal. This is just common sense.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:56 PM
Tip stallin around town..
USA, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Nov 2010
507 Posts
Quote:
i had fish sticks with a wee-bit-o-tarter sauce and a glass of whole milk..don't sweat it mac, we all know you can't put a stock sp motor in without changing pinions..nobody is just gonna decide to plop an sp motor in there champ without 1st learning about it in these threads which states over and over and over that pinion swap is needed. it wasn't bad advice.
brad copter is offline Find More Posts by brad copter
Old Apr 18, 2011, 01:01 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
Happy 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermvlieger View Post
I never get any PM's ... not fair
PM sent.

rc