SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 14, 2011, 06:11 PM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Mal,

Sorry to hear of your servo probs.
If it's any help, they are available from HH, and also are found quite often here on the classifieds.

Calling HH and sounding pitiful has worked wonders for me on several occasions. Joking 'bout the pitiful, but they are great about replacing faulty parts.

Greg
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2011, 06:23 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
Horizon support

Hey guys, I'm back from Vegas and still recovering! The NAB show is huge and the technology is incredible. I posted on the 120SR thread the great 1st customer support experience I had today with getting my 120SR heli fixed. I told them my test setup and analysis of my 5 & 1 (brick) failures and they're going to fix me up and were really great about it. The tech even spent some time with me talking about the new MCPx heli. If you think you have a support issue I encourage you to give them a call. The guys over on the 120 thread told me to, I did, and it was all good! PS- looking forward to some Champ time this weekend, and maybe sneaking off to LHS for a T-28 UM.
Dave
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Apr 14, 2011, 06:29 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minegun2 View Post
P.S., nice to see a nother Floridian on here XD im from the keys man, never been to indian river thoe, but ive been to live oak live oaks awesome!
Kinda windy on Key Largo, ain't it?
I'm in Vero Beach and here it stays very still until exactly 9:30AM, then the winds arrive like clockwork.
By 10AM, it's so windy I have to fly the Champ at 150-200 feet up just so the wind won't grab her and fling her down on the ground.
Most of the time, the wind comes off the Atlantic Ocean and never stops until the sun dips beyond the horizon. This cools the air enough to create dead air again, so I have a small window of 1/2 hour to fly at night (but not every night).

A few of you guys will appreciate this photo. Today, my Champ had a flying buddy -- actually his Big Brother. I only have one battery for it and it was a BLAST to fly. I had the sweaty palms and beating heart for about 2 minutes until I saw how graceful and easy to fly she was!
Oh man, do they ever coast down to a nice, soft landing too....
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Apr 14, 2011, 06:35 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
PS- looking forward to some Champ time this weekend, and maybe sneaking off to LHS for a T-28 UM.
Dave
Oh man, another "T-28 Convert."
Go for it, Blu, you're gonna love that lil' plane.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 06:50 PM
United States, FL, Key Largo
Joined Apr 2011
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
Kinda windy on Key Largo, ain't it?
I'm in Vero Beach and here it stays very still until exactly 9:30AM, then the winds arrive like clockwork.
By 10AM, it's so windy I have to fly the Champ at 150-200 feet up just so the wind won't grab her and fling her down on the ground.
Most of the time, the wind comes off the Atlantic Ocean and never stops until the sun dips beyond the horizon. This cools the air enough to create dead air again, so I have a small window of 1/2 hour to fly at night (but not every night).

A few of you guys will appreciate this photo. Today, my Champ had a flying buddy -- actually his Big Brother. I only have one battery for it and it was a BLAST to fly. I had the sweaty palms and beating heart for about 2 minutes until I saw how graceful and easy to fly she was!
Oh man, do they ever coast down to a nice, soft landing too....
yea its a bit windy but im surprised with how good she flys threw the wind. XD She just cuts right threw it at halft throttle. The only times i gave it full throttle was when i made it go around the big light post at the park over the parking lots lol. then i sorta panicked a little to bring it back to the field lol. and yea it fly just like the supercub. best flying plane ive ever had. my old firebird commander, is out of date, i just feel like chucking the thing in the trash to be honest, u dont get the same control with a 2 channel plane, that u do with a 3channel. was funny is when i was 11 years old getting that plane im 19 now, i knew a three channel was gona be the better way to go, cause i knew how phyics work, when the guy at the hobby shop told me in order to make it go up, u had to give it more throttle, i was like crap, that gona suckkk. when the guy was saying that the other plane was harder to fly cause u had thottle controle plus roll and pitch, i was like thinking, from waht i know from flying flight sim, the more controle areas taht u have of a plane easier it is to fly not harder. we ended up getting the commander instead of the other plane. i flew that old commander first time in a hurricane lol it got so far away from me, but i flew it back in, and right when i was gona land that thing, wind took it 10 ft in to a tree and it fell to the ground, if i had actual elevators i would have been better off.
minegun2 is offline Find More Posts by minegun2
Last edited by minegun2; Apr 14, 2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 09:00 PM
TjW
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2006
220 Posts
Quote:
Guys,
At Home Depot. they sell these bright-yellow telescoping poles that reach about 13-feet up. Add your height and reach and even a short dude can reach 20'.

They are sold as light bulb changer poles for houses with vaulted or cathedral ceilings and recessed lighting. The pole is strong, but is only about 4.5 feet long. It telescopes up and has different attachments for removing light bulbs.

Anyway, I keep one in the back seat of my truck and if I take the wife's car. I throw it in the rear hatch.

It has never failed to reach my Champ or PZ P-51 when stuck in a tree. Last week the Champ landed in some looped cable TV lines and I was able to poke her right outa there. It was easily 20+ feet up, so I pulled the truck under and stood in my bed.

The yellow one is about 16-bucks (mine) and the silver one is $27, but extends 16 feet.
Of course these work well for palm trees....your mileage may vary.
I use a fiberglass pole from a dome tent. It's only about half an inch in diameter, so it's pretty flexy, but it has the advantage of folding up into a batch of 18 inch chunks that slide into a little bag. Very compact, and salvaged, so no extra cost.
TjW is offline Find More Posts by TjW
Old Apr 15, 2011, 05:21 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
those tent poles wil flex and may poke an eye out, too splinterry if you ask ne and they do snap!
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 15, 2011, 07:03 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
I sit here looking at a open area. Sun minimal wind. Andall I hear on the radio, is heavy rain this afternoon, tonight t-storms, tomorrrow rain, and nice maybe on Sunday with wind.

Every day that was all I heard. Now it's time to no longer turn on any devic but the HZ champ.

But dam I left it home. One day, bruskies are needed, but I do not drink lol
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 15, 2011, 07:27 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Every day that was all I heard. Now it's time to no longer turn on any devic but the HZ champ.

But dam I left it home. One day, bruskies are needed, but I do not drink lol
Are you traveling, fishy? Where are you? You sound like you need a Champ infusion, quick!
Old Apr 15, 2011, 07:40 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Help Needed (again)

Guys,
I narrowed my elevator servo issue down to a tiny burr on the large gear that spins the threaded servo drive spar.

I can't seem to clear that lil' burr out of there.
a) because it's extremely micro
b) because it is fairly tough plastic

Now, to add to the fun, I was turning that gear by hand (fingertip) and didn't notice that I was slowly backing the micro-retaining nut on the other end of the gear drive.
So it fell off.
It is so small that it took me 15 minutes to find it. When I did, I failed to get the thread started on it with tweezers, and then struck-out with small needle-nose pliers. I also stuck it on a piece of tape, since it's too small too grip. That was a wasted effort as well.

Anyone have any ideas on removing the rough spot in that nylon gear?
And threading that nut back on? It's about the size of a needle head -- or Heidi Montag's brain. It's incredibly small!
Old Apr 15, 2011, 07:41 AM
USA, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined Jan 2011
79 Posts
Anyone ever thought about a way to make the nose of the champ a little less fragile? Seem like it is constantly taking a beating, did not know if there is anything to seal it that is less fragile, yet does not add a lot of extra weight.
no1photo is offline Find More Posts by no1photo
Old Apr 15, 2011, 08:04 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1photo View Post
Anyone ever thought about a way to make the nose of the champ a little less fragile? Seem like it is constantly taking a beating, did not know if there is anything to seal it that is less fragile, yet does not add a lot of extra weight.
The lower section of the nose (below the prop) I have strips of clear packing tape running down to the edge of the battery tray. Not only does it protect the nose, but it adds a tad more front weight, which I believe helps it cut through winds a little better.

I put a small square of packing tape over the little black oil cooler too, because it is raised a bit in order to absorb nose-scuffing on paved runway landings. But even the black tape on the "oil cooler" can get scuffed off. The packing tape does not scuff.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 09:04 AM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Guys,
I narrowed my elevator servo issue down to a tiny burr on the large gear that spins the threaded servo drive spar.

I can't seem to clear that lil' burr out of there.
a) because it's extremely micro
b) because it is fairly tough plastic

Now, to add to the fun, I was turning that gear by hand (fingertip) and didn't notice that I was slowly backing the micro-retaining nut on the other end of the gear drive.
So it fell off.
It is so small that it took me 15 minutes to find it. When I did, I failed to get the thread started on it with tweezers, and then struck-out with small needle-nose pliers. I also stuck it on a piece of tape, since it's too small too grip. That was a wasted effort as well.

Anyone have any ideas on removing the rough spot in that nylon gear?
And threading that nut back on? It's about the size of a needle head -- or Heidi Montag's brain. It's incredibly small!
I've done this fix (the gear, not the nut). I magnified until I could see the burr, then I just 'combed' and pushed and reformed the teeth with a jewelers screwdriver that had a shape just like the shape between the teeth.

I read back to the post about the graphite- graphite is conductive, don't get it near these linear servos with the exposed feedback resistive strips, it'll confuse the heck out of the servo controller.

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Last edited by CNY_Dave; Apr 15, 2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 09:05 AM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Servo help

Mal,

I'm not positive about this because I havent had to take a servo apart, but I strongly suspect that the nut at the rear of the shaft may well be a reverse, left-hand thread. That's how it is on the propshaft, and the application is the same on the servo. Try spinnin' the shaft "backwards" and see if the nut doesnt thread on. Worth a shot.

Deburring a gear tooth (for me) requires optivisors just to see it. I've had sucsess dragging a tightly held peice of thread throught the offending tooth.

Lastly, and this is an item of endless debate, I firmly believe that on these micro-mechanisms, lube brings dirt that stays, while any benefit from the lube itself vanishes in short order. Just my opinion, not trying to convince anybody.

PS...Like Dave said...NO graphite!
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Last edited by olthump; Apr 15, 2011 at 09:07 AM. Reason: ps
Old Apr 15, 2011, 09:20 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olthump View Post
Mal,

PS...Like Dave said...NO graphite!
Thanks, guys. Looks like I'd better get the mini vac out and try to remove the graphite dust.

Just got chased-in by rain. Had Champ2 smokin' through the skies with RCBab's Hyp 180Mah. (No 5043 for Champ2).

I also got a battery in prior to the Champ on the awesome micro T-28. Even on a cloudy day she looks as cool as the Champ with that bright white body and red tips.

Anyway, I had the Super Cub staged and ready, but alas...the Florida rains always arrive with winds and sheets of rain that would destroy a micro airplane.

Hey! Someone oughta come up with a rain-proof park flyer for us diehards!

I'll be de-burring and maybe I'll try to get my LHS guy to get that nut back on. He's got the massive magnifying glass on a stand and hemos too.