HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2011, 05:34 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad copter View Post
.so n ow i'm back to being afraid to fly cause i don't want to chip her paint..hahahahaha
Congrats on the new(er) bird, brad.
May she fly high and long!

Mac
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:16 PM
Tip stallin around town..
USA, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Nov 2010
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
Congrats on the new(er) bird, brad.
May she fly high and long!

Mac
thanks man, i went out and put 3 batteries through her tonight and what a difference..all that tape and hot glue was really weighing her down..now wonder why i was cooking through motors every week..i opted out of putting the lights and the wing struts on and it literally takes under a 1/4 throttle to keep her in the air..i can walk faster than this thing flies now.i really was overkilling it with all the extra weight..i can't wait to go to my indoor club this fri nite and just float around the gym for a few hours. i think i'm gonna baby her for a while

BS.
brad copter is offline Find More Posts by brad copter
Old Mar 23, 2011, 09:02 PM
road wart
United States, CT, Stonington
Joined Aug 2003
2,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad copter View Post
thanks man, i went out and put 3 batteries through her tonight and what a difference..all that tape and hot glue was really weighing her down..now wonder why i was cooking through motors every week..i opted out of putting the lights and the wing struts on and it literally takes under a 1/4 throttle to keep her in the air..i can walk faster than this thing flies now.i really was overkilling it with all the extra weight..i can't wait to go to my indoor club this fri nite and just float around the gym for a few hours. i think i'm gonna baby her for a while

BS.
what struts are you talking about Brad?
racie34 is offline Find More Posts by racie34
Old Mar 23, 2011, 09:27 PM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
I fixed my bent shaft twice now. I used needle-nose visegrips and needle-nose pliers. Worked great the first time. Now the second time I straightened I ruffed up the shaft and its a little louder in the gearbox.
Viper82 is offline Find More Posts by Viper82
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:42 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
4,017 Posts
New champ in the club house!

Well last week I wrote I was going to drink the champ cool-aid, and today I did! Yumm. After reading 280 threads I couldn't resist no more. You guys should be arrested for your criminal influence on others! I'm still surprised how much smaller and lighter it really is. It's hard to believe this little guy is so tuff. It's been raining and blowing here in the SF Bay Area for two weeks so 1st flight will be who knows when. This is my 1st plane but I do fly heli's, 120sr & mcx2 with dx6i. Stay tuned and keep it up with all of your addicting comments and stories. Thanks
Dave
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:27 AM
Stockbridge, GA
Joined Nov 2003
343 Posts
I liked my Champ so much that I put a never flown one(still in the box minus batteries) up for a rainny day....
Printer Mike is offline Find More Posts by Printer Mike
Old Mar 24, 2011, 07:33 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
Last night, the winds died down - as they do most every night here on FL's east coast - and I took out the Champ and my PZ UM P-51D. There was a slight breeze out of the SW, maybe 3-5mph in gusts.

I flew the Champ through 2 batteries with relative ease. I love when you turn a Champ down wind and it screams along with the wind.

Then I hooked-up my Parkzone P-51 ultra-micro and played "fight the tx" for the next 8 minutes. It was all over the map as it fought the wind and I fought its tendency to squirrel every which way.

After barely landing it upright, I asked myself why I do this?

Why do I have this very fast little plane that makes my palms sweat?
Why do I need my big Cessna "trainer" with a 55" wingspan?
Or the 800mm Airfield P-51 'Stang that was split in 2 earlier in the day from a crash? (Thank God for epoxy.)

I'm only at peace with my airplane, the sky and myself when the Champ is in the air.
I don't need to fly 150mph. I don't need to fly inverted, nor do I care if I can complete a barrel roll. I just want a smooth take-off, a fun flight and a nice slow n' easy landing.

As a newb, my biggest mistake has been thinking I need to go to big planes, with multiple channels, flaps, lights and speedy engines.

I don't.

I don't even want to talk about the parts nightmare I'm going through with these bigger planes.
With the Champ, I simply order online, or walk into the LHS and I always walk out with the needed parts -- every time.

So, I'm changing my line of thinking. I'd rather just have fun with my Champ.

How many of you guys are simply satisfied with your Champ and have no aspirations of "moving up"?

I'm just beginning to grasp this idea: "KISS" - keep it simple, stupid. I think I'm going to sell a plane and a heli and focus on the Champ. A 2nd one for perfect weather days that I can keep pristine (I hope) and maybe even a 3rd that I can repaint in my favorite scheme.

I have found peace, with my Champ.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:19 AM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Me Too!!!

I couldnt agree more with the above.

I did the umP51 aileron deal...It wasn't pretty.
Now the guts are in a lovely 3 ch LiddleRod that only gets flown in perfect calm conditions.

I flew a Radian...Loved the idea of soaring - something I've gotten to do for real - Hated sitting there with a crick in my neck trying to follow a speck around the sky, worrying about it flying off on it's own. Donated it.

Gotta Mini SuperCub, and all the bits to turn it DSM2 and brushless...It just sits and is going up for sale this morning...

But the Champ on a light air morning or evening...Bliss, pure Bliss.

160s when it's calm, 240s in a breeze, 5043 prop for long relaxing putts around the sky. Gonna build a set of floats and try that. Been flying at the beach, and getting braver about it being out over the water. With the 5043 and the SX motor I've yet to install, it'll fly just fine.

Just sign me Old, Low, Slow, and Happy.
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:01 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
The old, low, & slow club!

A lot of us have joined up, through the years. I can clearly remember dreaming of that kind of flying, back before WW II. I had to hang around
until the turn of the century, and later, to see that dream become reality!
My GWS Pico Tiger Moth was the first to bring it to me. The Playmate &
Champ are the current hits.
As I have mentioned before, my dad bought me my first flying lesson, when I was a 16 year old Air Scout, in an Aeronca 7AC Champion, at Santa Rosa, CA, in 1947. Now I can just open the box, find one painted just the same, and re-live that gentle flight!
"OK, now keep your feet off the rudder pedals, and take hold of the stick......NO----NO... not like that, just 2 fingers!!!!"
Never having flown before, I was too engrossed in how the cars & people down there looked like bugs crawling around!
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:19 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olthump View Post
I couldnt agree more with the above.

I did the umP51 aileron deal...It wasn't pretty.
<SNIP>
But the Champ on a light air morning or evening...Bliss, pure Bliss.

160s when it's calm, 240s in a breeze, 5043 prop for long relaxing putts around the sky. Gonna build a set of floats and try that. Been flying at the beach, and getting braver about it being out over the water. With the 5043 and the SX motor I've yet to install, it'll fly just fine.

Just sign me Old, Low, Slow, and Happy.
Well said, olthump.

When I sell my dark blue, Nine Eagles Bravo SX I plan to buy a brand-spankin' new Champ. The Bravo SX flies very much like my MSR, (slower though) so why have 2 identical single-rotor fixed-pitch helis?

Maybe a 5043 and a couple of Hyperion 160s from RCBabbel. The wheels will even remain stock.

Before I list it, does anyone want a rarely-flown Bravo SX in trade for a brand new Champ? Costs $109 new, plus shipping. This one has THREE batteries, 2 new extra skids and a spare tail prop!
PM if interested. I'll be listing this later today.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:35 AM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
You'll love the batts and prop. Be sure you get the lasercut prop adapters from rcbabbell as well. Like I've posted earlier...Being able to fast charge 5 or 6 batteries in 15 minutes rocks.
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Mar 24, 2011, 02:20 PM
USA, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Nov 2010
507 Posts
Quote:
Last night, the winds died down - as they do most every night here on FL's east coast - and I took out the Champ and my PZ UM P-51D. There was a slight breeze out of the SW, maybe 3-5mph in gusts.

I flew the Champ through 2 batteries with relative ease. I love when you turn a Champ down wind and it screams along with the wind.

Then I hooked-up my Parkzone P-51 ultra-micro and played "fight the tx" for the next 8 minutes. It was all over the map as it fought the wind and I fought its tendency to squirrel every which way.

After barely landing it upright, I asked myself why I do this?

Why do I have this very fast little plane that makes my palms sweat?
Why do I need my big Cessna "trainer" with a 55" wingspan?
Or the 800mm Airfield P-51 'Stang that was split in 2 earlier in the day from a crash? (Thank God for epoxy.)

I'm only at peace with my airplane, the sky and myself when the Champ is in the air.
I don't need to fly 150mph. I don't need to fly inverted, nor do I care if I can complete a barrel roll. I just want a smooth take-off, a fun flight and a nice slow n' easy landing.

As a newb, my biggest mistake has been thinking I need to go to big planes, with multiple channels, flaps, lights and speedy engines.

I don't.

I don't even want to talk about the parts nightmare I'm going through with these bigger planes.
With the Champ, I simply order online, or walk into the LHS and I always walk out with the needed parts -- every time.

So, I'm changing my line of thinking. I'd rather just have fun with my Champ.

How many of you guys are simply satisfied with your Champ and have no aspirations of "moving up"?

I'm just beginning to grasp this idea: "KISS" - keep it simple, stupid. I think I'm going to sell a plane and a heli and focus on the Champ. A 2nd one for perfect weather days that I can keep pristine (I hope) and maybe even a 3rd that I can repaint in my favorite scheme.

I have found peace, with my Champ.
i couldn't agree with you more..i'm glad i fixed my champ as opposed to buying the super cub..i would prob be sitting here now with a broken champ and a broken super cub..she is a great little plane
Old Mar 24, 2011, 02:25 PM
USA, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Nov 2010
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racie34 View Post
what struts are you talking about Brad?
wing struts..i used cocktail straws for wing struts (braces) on my old champ..makes the wings stiffer but adds weight..they did keep the wings from breaking so i may add them..idk..i drilled holes in the fuse the same diameter as the straws, filled hole with canopy glue, stuck the straws in and hot glued the other ends to the underside of the wings..ya know,wing struts(at least i think that's what the are called) oh...maybe it's wing spars..not sure
Old Mar 24, 2011, 02:35 PM
USA, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Nov 2010
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper82 View Post
I fixed my bent shaft twice now. I used needle-nose visegrips and needle-nose pliers. Worked great the first time. Now the second time I straightened I ruffed up the shaft and its a little louder in the gearbox.
yeah i would have tried that but i managed to not only bend it but also snapped off the threaded end (the threads were still in the prop) that shaft is made from some hard metal so idk how i managed to bend it like that ha when i picked her up after that crash i didn't see the motor or the gearbox..lol i looked way inside the busted nose and there it was wedged on top of the brick.(lucky i didn't damage the brick)..that was a heck of an impact
Old Mar 24, 2011, 05:53 PM
USA, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Nov 2010
507 Posts
Quote:
Well said, olthump.

When I sell my dark blue, Nine Eagles Bravo SX I plan to buy a brand-spankin' new Champ. The Bravo SX flies very much like my MSR, (slower though) so why have 2 identical single-rotor fixed-pitch helis?

Maybe a 5043 and a couple of Hyperion 160s from RCBabbel. The wheels will even remain stock.

Before I list it, does anyone want a rarely-flown Bravo SX in trade for a brand new Champ? Costs $109 new, plus shipping. This one has THREE batteries, 2 new extra skids and a spare tail prop!
PM if interested. I'll be listing this later today.
Thats a sharp looking bird..love the blue