Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 25, 2010, 05:53 PM
Wichita, Ks.
Joined Feb 2004
224 Posts
Quote:
As far as the mSR batteries, they will work, but you won't have as much power or flight time with this airplane. You would also need to move the battery further forward to achieve the same CG. This airplane was designed to balance around the 150mah battery. I recommend you stick to the stock 150mah batteries.

Seth
I agree the 110's won't give you quite the same power but I am actually getting better runtimes in calm air with them over the stock 150. It requires less throttle.
n001pa is offline Find More Posts by n001pa
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2010, 06:01 PM
Joined May 2007
258 Posts
ok guys my new rx is just in way to at last try to put up the champ to fly , well i opened up the plane ( by the way the tape is not the only thing holding the fuselage in place, mine had aparently small dots of glue on areas of the fuselage so it was not as easy as taking the tape out and opening it up ) and looking at the rx , saw it is somewhat glued to the foam , do i have to carve th rx out from that glue or just pull it out ???? , comments to know what to do , so as fast as i recieve the rx install it , and as i was told from Hellysmack will try the new rx before intalling it
computerpc is offline Find More Posts by computerpc
Old May 25, 2010, 06:58 PM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Here's how I'd do it...

With a sharp X-acto or razor blade, and a magnifier if you've got one, slowly and carefully cut thru the silicone that holds you rx in. Slow and easy, don't get impatient.

Then, disconnect your control rods at the rear from the control horns (r&e).

Pull the u-bend, end of the control rods out of the heat shrink tubing that holds it. Use small pliers, hemostats, whatever. Be careful, and you will be able to re-insert them when the time comes.

With your small pliers, disconnect the motor lead from the board. Make note of the wire color orientation, or your motor could run backwards.

Now, you should be able to pull the rx, with the control rods attached, out of the fuse. Swap the control rods to the servos on the new board at this time.

Slide the whole shebang, rods and all, back into the plane and secure with foam safe ca or Gorilla Glue...use sparingly. make sure you motor leads are correctly routed, and plug 'em in.

Now refit the ubend ends of the control rods. If you're careful, you can slide them back in the heat shrink sleeve, and add a small drop of ca.

It took longer to type this than it takes to do. You'll do fine. Hope this helps.

Greg
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old May 25, 2010, 07:06 PM
Joined May 2007
258 Posts
great thanks greg for your attention and help by the way i saw those cables/lines in your champ ( ruder /elevator ), do they help the plane in flying ?
Old May 25, 2010, 07:11 PM
Occupying RCG
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
No, they're just for looks. The real ones are strengthening cables called flying wires. Saw 'em on a picture, had a bit of rigid wire, had to do it.

Although they're invisible from 10' away, they do glint in the sun now and then to letcha know they're there.

There.
Old May 25, 2010, 07:16 PM
Joined May 2007
258 Posts
ok , looking at the small clear stock tapes that in some way help and protect the bending of the elevator and rudder , would you recomend me putting more tape like mailing tape the ones that have like small cord lines in the tape to reinforce those areas where the ruder/elevator bend ?????
Old May 25, 2010, 07:18 PM
Occupying RCG
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Leave it alone unless you break it. Just detach the control wire from the plastic horn, nothing more.
Old May 25, 2010, 07:18 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerpc View Post
ok guys my new rx is just in way to at last try to put up the champ to fly , well i opened up the plane ( by the way the tape is not the only thing holding the fuselage in place, mine had aparently small dots of glue on areas of the fuselage so it was not as easy as taking the tape out and opening it up ) and looking at the rx , saw it is somewhat glued to the foam , do i have to carve th rx out from that glue or just pull it out ???? , comments to know what to do , so as fast as i recieve the rx install it , and as i was told from Hellysmack will try the new rx before intalling it
You have the new RX or just getting ready for when it shows up?

I would plug the motor into the new RX and see how the new RX responded before cutting all the glue to get my old RX out myself, but that is just me, donít let me talk you out of doing what you want to do, just suggesting ideas to consider. The way my luck goes I would cut it out and finds I had the same problem and it is a faulty TX that wonít keep bind
You did wiggle the battery plug and wires to make sure it was not the source of problems?
Hellysmack is online now Find More Posts by Hellysmack
Old May 25, 2010, 07:43 PM
Joined May 2007
258 Posts
just getting ready for when it arrives , but well as i said before the led in the plane form time to times goes out , ( when the tx is faulty does the led in the plane react as that ?

" You did wiggle the battery plug and wires to make sure it was not the source of problems? "

when the led on the planes has gone out i have moved the battery and the plug and nothing , same
Old May 25, 2010, 10:40 PM
USA, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Nov 2009
812 Posts
Well, I've gone and done it. I am a proud owner of a Champ this evening. I couldn't believe what all the fuss was about in reading this and the other HZ micro threads, so I just bought one. I have to tell you, I'm quite impressed! Once I figure out to keep my "foot" out of the throttle, and just let it chug around at about 1/2, it started to sink in! I flew it first out at my shop with a bunch of big, tall, hungry looking trees (species Foamus Carnivorous) and successfully got it back after three short flights. Whew! As of twenty minutes ago, I just got done with a maiden flight up and down my dead end street, and I ended up with a couple of neighbors standing in their driveway, watching this thing chug by. Two easily controlled landings out on the street, and I squirreled it away in its box, ready for what tomorrow might bring! Does anyone have a best guess on flying speed for this thing at 1/2 throttle? It seems like it cant be more than about 10mph.. Anyway, I now know that I'm hooked on these little buggers.
benski is offline Find More Posts by benski
Old May 25, 2010, 11:05 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,180 Posts
I have been flying mine pretty much at full throttle 80% of the time and flying it hard and I get 8 min on stock 150 before LVC which I think is pretty impressive really.Lol opps
thanks babs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old May 25, 2010, 11:43 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olthump View Post
I know RD has to be trolling this thread, and licking his chops. C'mon Doug, you NEED this plane, honest.
Oh!! So you're the guy I saw looking in the window of my hobby room!!!

Yea, sure, with Embers, UM P-51's, UM J-3's, Playmates (note the plurals), I really NEED another micro flyer.

Disregard the fact that another micro flyer "hangar" has suddenly spouted up out of nowheres. Pay no attention to the 14+ minute flights on generic 160's, or the straight out flight pattern upon hand launch (courtesy of a slight mechanical adjustment to the elevator linkage). Totally ignore how this "Cub in sheep's clothing" managed to spec out at an estimated 500 feet up (yeah, I am using the DX6i).

FWIW: Great first micro for new pilots, definitely more forgiving than the Cub, a good next step up from the Ember. For windy days, IMHO, the Cub takes it, for max control on really slow flying, Embers fit the bill. For easy aerobatics, the Mustang's rule. Nothing against the Vapor or Sukhoi, but they are just not my game.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old May 26, 2010, 02:11 AM
HK--Phils.
Joined Dec 2006
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc crashburn View Post
I see that Hyperion has a charging adapter available for these 1S cells:

HYPERION G3 MICRO 1S BATTERY PARALLEL ADAPTER (HP-LGUM6PADAP)

but at $14.00 .. but it does allow up to six batteries to be charged simultaneously.

Is there anything similar on the HK site? (have looked but couldn't find)

If so, their price may be more affordable...
How about this one:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...arging_harness

Yes, i know it's out of stock, but you might want to wait a while and look for something else you need to utilize the frieght cost you'll be paying for.
Btw, it's also out of stock the time i ordered lipos and parts, so i got this one instead and just cut the other ends and solder them parallel to a deans connectors. This way you have extra battery(side) connectors in case you want to go with the 240 zippy lipos that some peeps are using.:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...%285pcs/bag%29

Hope that helps.
heliboy88 is offline Find More Posts by heliboy88
Old May 26, 2010, 05:12 AM
United States, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Apr 2006
965 Posts
I just bought one of these at Hobbytown. I have always loved the Champ and still have a 30 year old balsa and tissue version hanging up. The Hobbyzone version is just about identical size to the Guillow's version.

I've got three full battery flights on it and LOVE it! What a treat to fly. I got my last flight in at dusk yesterday. I'd say if you aren't at full throttle, you'll go 15 minutes.

My only complaint is the decals. Why o why did they try to put them on at the factory? I looked through the six Champs they had at hobbytown and all of them had wrinkled decals for the "G-FLYR" thing. They should have left that off, or applied it better. They were wrinkled on all of them they had. I will try to peel it off my self sometime and redo it it remove it. Hopefully it won't take the paint with it.

Other than that, I can't think of more fun and a better flying aircraft for $89!
HelloScott is offline Find More Posts by HelloScott
Old May 26, 2010, 05:46 AM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliboy88 View Post
How about this one:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...arging_harness

Yes, i know it's out of stock, but you might want to wait a while and look for something else you need to utilize the frieght cost you'll be paying for.
Btw, it's also out of stock the time i ordered lipos and parts, so i got this one instead and just cut the other ends and solder them parallel to a deans connectors. This way you have extra battery(side) connectors in case you want to go with the 240 zippy lipos that some peeps are using.:

Hope that helps.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=9736
Would it not be better to hook these together then as each cell is charged the charger shuts off that cell as if it was balance or charging a 3s lipo?
Hellysmack is online now Find More Posts by Hellysmack