Old Mar 28, 2010, 03:18 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dribbe View Post
The airframe is all new.
It is tuned and tested to fly well for beginners.
I would think of this as our special low price to get new pilots into the hobby. Beginner products sometimes involve sacrifice!

Have Fun,
David
Dribbe (Horizon)
Please feel free to answer if you see my post first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellysmack View Post
can you tell us how the champ handles wind compared to the Cub?

By the Video it looks like it has plenty of power with the 150mAh batteries?
Hellysmack is offline Find More Posts by Hellysmack
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2010, 05:58 PM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
304 Posts
Can anyone guess what purpose was behind the string with handle in the cockpit?

Itís my fly by bungee string rudder trim system. If I need more right rudder, I shorten the bungee string attached to the right rudder pedal. Most of my RC aircraft are light years ahead of the Piet in electronic gismosí (Piet has no electronics) and almost as fun to fly.

In thinking about this new Champ at this low price, it should be a Wally World killer for most hobby shops and Horizon. Can hardly wait for its release!
twoplanekid is offline Find More Posts by twoplanekid
Old Mar 29, 2010, 09:11 AM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerror View Post
wow that thing does fly nice ... but it's so much like the UM cub ... hmm
Sure, if you ignore the extra four inches of wingspan, the extra ten grams of weight, the higher-capacity battery, and the 8 mm motor/gearbox combo, it's just like the Cub.

I want one. It looks like just the ticket for chasing micro thermals on lazy summer days, and I'm sure I'll think of something to do with the Vapor-style TX.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:03 AM
USA, TN, Fayetteville
Joined Dec 2004
878 Posts
I'm interested in this plane. When I move to my new office over the summer, I will have access to a basketball gym in the same building. I want something I can fly in the gym. I was thinking about a Playmate, but now think the Champ might work. When someone has experience with it indoors, please post your opinions on the plane.

Thanks
madmike8 is offline Find More Posts by madmike8
Old Mar 29, 2010, 12:53 PM
CDA idaho
Joined Dec 2009
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Jimmy View Post
Sure, if you ignore the extra four inches of wingspan, the extra ten grams of weight, the higher-capacity battery, and the 8 mm motor/gearbox combo, it's just like the Cub.

I want one. It looks like just the ticket for chasing micro thermals on lazy summer days, and I'm sure I'll think of something to do with the Vapor-style TX.
if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck... but a bigger motor and more power would be ok... seems like a copy of the UM cub... -1 for originality ... love Horizon stuff but come on.... don't wanna stir the pot though
Jerror is offline Find More Posts by Jerror
Old Mar 29, 2010, 01:06 PM
Jungmeister 55
Orlando Herndon, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
Since I know some are wondering, compared to the J-3, the Champ does have better low-speed handling qualities. It's a little more forgiving for the newbie pilot. It's also significantly larger.
I'm glad you guys enlarged these planes alittle bit.

It seems to me that the 22 to 24" wingspan is a very nice compromise between miniaturization and improved flying characteristics and I hope to see more offered in this range...and don't forget to offer a few bipes as well!!!...hint....check out the Poll vote for a PT-17 stearman hread in the Micro RTF section...

Gerry.
simano is offline Find More Posts by simano
Old Mar 29, 2010, 01:59 PM
Woof. Arf. Angle of Attack.
Iowa - East Central
Joined Oct 2007
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerror View Post
if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck... but a bigger motor and more power would be ok... seems like a copy of the UM cub... -1 for originality ... love Horizon stuff but come on.... don't wanna stir the pot though
There are a number of differences I am seeing, the Champ has more dihedral, some washout, and a more pronounced under camber on the wing for higher lift at the expense of more drag. It looks like it will have a self-limiting tendency for speed.

Compared to the Cessna Minimum and the Minimum Citabria, the UM J3 is sporty, slick, and very fast with not so much vertical tail effect at high angles, and happily tip stalls at low speeds and bank angles. Also there is a pronounced power-on pitch effect. I would hesitate to recommend it to a beginner.

The Champ looks to handle more like the minimum Citabria, predictable and largely self correcting with uneventful stalls focused on the inner wing, well before the tips. It addresses a need for a low cost, easy going scale trainer that is ready to go out of the box. Something the US domestic market does not have at the moment, or at least in near comparison with the semi-scale Hobbico Playmate.

I think the only similarity they share is that they are both micro-high wing cabin monoplanes. Flight characteristics look quite different.

The more the merrier I say!
supercorgi is offline Find More Posts by supercorgi
Old Mar 29, 2010, 02:07 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Great summary super corgi....
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity
Old Mar 29, 2010, 02:18 PM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
This looks pretty neat. It might fill the relaxing evening flyer slot left by my worn out UM PZ Cessna 210.

How will this thing go with a Power10?
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old Mar 29, 2010, 04:39 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
hmmm.....
Like the UM cub lol
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity
Old Mar 30, 2010, 09:18 AM
CDA idaho
Joined Dec 2009
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simano View Post
I'm glad you guys enlarged these planes alittle bit.

It seems to me that the 22 to 24" wingspan is a very nice compromise between miniaturization and improved flying characteristics and I hope to see more offered in this range...and don't forget to offer a few bipes as well!!!...hint....check out the Poll vote for a PT-17 stearman hread in the Micro RTF section...

Gerry.
now that would be cool^^^^^^
Jerror is offline Find More Posts by Jerror
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:06 PM
MD 21236/ SC 29055
Joined Dec 2008
128 Posts
100% in agreement. This looks like the perfect outdoor/some indoor replacement for the now discontinued 210 and citabria.

I havn't had a micro that I could fly without ANY worry since I decomissioned my Cit to build something out of sticks. I love my floaty stick and tissue stuff but when they are close to the floor...I still get nervous. I look forward to flying "silly" again.
swapinthedark is offline Find More Posts by swapinthedark
Old Mar 30, 2010, 07:53 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
It looks like a black belled Mustang 8.4mm motor in the pictures. That would be silly and would allow it to climb vertical.

Putting the SU-26 motor in there would make more sense.

Ok, so the black belled motor pic also shows an AR6400 (X-port visible) and no a Vapor Brick, so it probably won't have a mustang motor, either.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Last edited by UNGN; Mar 30, 2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 01:35 AM
Warbird crazy!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Sep 2004
3,767 Posts
Darn, I was all set on the UM Cub now I have to wait for this first.

It really does look like a good choice for some calm slow flying with touch and goes at lunch.

John

Found the subject. Just have to fashion the struts.
new2rc is online now Find More Posts by new2rc
Last edited by new2rc; Mar 31, 2010 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Added pic
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:41 PM
Chillicothe, OH
Joined Mar 2008
262 Posts
Darn HBZ caused me to dig into my wallet again! Got one on BO from Redrocket. Early Fathers day present
jwman is offline Find More Posts by jwman