SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 17, 2010, 11:23 AM
I just wanna fly
USA, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Jul 2005
600 Posts
Took mine out this weekend and found it actually thermals well due to its low weight. I took it up high and fly about 1/2 throttle in cruise. When I noticed a thermal bump I'd just circle around, cut the throttle and up it went! Not the same as one of my sailplanes but it sure extends flight times!
Get an extra battery and have it on the charger while you fly. By the time I'm done with the first battery, the next one is about ready to go.
Great little plane.

Brian
slozuke is online now Find More Posts by slozuke
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2010, 11:41 AM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Thanks

With my P51 anything over 5 MPH is really pushing it. Can the champ handle more than 5 MPH?
Yes. It tends to ride over turbulence, its stability keeps it from being upset too badly by crosswinds (unlike the Mustang,) and it recovers quite well when it does get upset. The Champ slips and crabs really well for a plane with no ailerons (it's surprisingly easy to keep the wings level on rudder in turbulent air and crosswinds.)

I flew my Champ in winds between 5 to 10 MPH with gusts into the teens, and it windsurfed just fine. Required a steady hand and no small amount of nerve, though.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old May 17, 2010, 11:59 AM
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Joined Sep 2009
71 Posts
Sorry, Dave Eichstedt, I must disagree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
Not even a remote chance. It's already an RTF at a BNF price, or think of it as a BNF with a free transmitter. If you don't want the transmitter, just toss it! Our strategy was to make it very affordable for the beginner, giving them an entryway to BNF ultra-micros using the small transmitter.

Since I know some are wondering, compared to the J-3, the Champ does have better low-speed handling qualities. It's a little more forgiving for the newbie pilot. It's also significantly larger.
...D. Eichstadts says "if you don't want the transmitter, just toss it!" I must disagree! That transmitter is a hobby grade instrument, granted a $30 hobby grade instrument, but it's a little gem. You can always sell your Tx to someone, or take it down to the pond and sell it to the boat guys. In fact, I've reconsidered my strategy and now I'm converting ALL my micro BNF's to RTF's, so I've been buying all the little transmitters in town. My new strategy is to keep the micros in my truck for the ultimate in spontaneous flying, so each micro is totally self-contained. Plus, in my case I'd rather turn over the little Tx to my kids than my DX-7 because it's only a matter of time before they drop it or spill ice cream on it. Anyway, as the first kid in town with the HZ Champ, it's a real winner, but don't throw quality away, at the very least you can give the toy transmitter to a kid. No offense, Dave, but the whole package is too good a value to throw anything away. My compliments on another winner!
apaulo is offline Find More Posts by apaulo
Old May 17, 2010, 12:36 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,353 Posts
Thanks

Sounds like a great little plane. I hear it's also a bit bigger and more powerful than the J3?

[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Jimmy View Post
Yes. It tends to ride over turbulence, its stability keeps it from being upset too badly by crosswinds (unlike the Mustang,) and it recovers quite well when it does get upset. The Champ slips and crabs really well for a plane with no ailerons (it's surprisingly easy to keep the wings level on rudder in turbulent air and crosswinds.)

I flew my Champ in winds between 5 to 10 MPH with gusts into the teens, and it windsurfed just fine. Required a steady hand and no small amount of nerve, though.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old May 17, 2010, 01:00 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,800 Posts
You are correct, this is down to using a similar motor to the P-51
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old May 17, 2010, 01:04 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,353 Posts
Awesome - I may have to get one of these . I lov my mustang but you need a lot of room to fly and low winds.
Old May 17, 2010, 02:35 PM
Wichita, Ks.
Joined Feb 2004
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSch View Post
It has a lot of extra lift for a plane this size. Mine tends to porpuse if the throttle is too high. Needs some weight on the nose. Managed to get a couple of hours of air time this weekend. What a great plane. I was out in 5 mph winds with 10 mph gusts and it took it like a Champ. The plane glides very well. I could fly it out until it was hard to see and glide it all the way back. You can slow it down to a jogging pace and still have reasonable control. Better plane than my Playmate or Ember.

Brian
Mine does the opposite. Under throttle it is very smooth but when you cut the throttle is starts to porpuse. I just keep a small ammount of power on when I am coming in to land and it does just fine.
n001pa is offline Find More Posts by n001pa
Old May 17, 2010, 04:30 PM
"Put it in the air"
United States, KY, Florence
Joined Feb 2010
202 Posts
I saw this fly first hand yesterday. Sweet little flyer. Handled some wind. Responsive. looks nice. Way more power than I had originally thought. Thumbs up. And thumbs up to my brother in law who bought this for his first plane/first flight. He did good.
Scarlett is offline Find More Posts by Scarlett
Old May 17, 2010, 05:30 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,208 Posts
If any newbie is interested and on the fence, I have posted a review on the horizon web site.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...900#reviewsTab
Hellysmack is offline Find More Posts by Hellysmack
Old May 17, 2010, 05:35 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apaulo View Post
...D. Eichstadts says "if you don't want the transmitter, just toss it!" I must disagree! That transmitter is a hobby grade instrument, granted a $30 hobby grade instrument, but it's a little gem. You can always sell your Tx to someone, or take it down to the pond and sell it to the boat guys. In fact, I've reconsidered my strategy and now I'm converting ALL my micro BNF's to RTF's, so I've been buying all the little transmitters in town. My new strategy is to keep the micros in my truck for the ultimate in spontaneous flying, so each micro is totally self-contained. Plus, in my case I'd rather turn over the little Tx to my kids than my DX-7 because it's only a matter of time before they drop it or spill ice cream on it. Anyway, as the first kid in town with the HZ Champ, it's a real winner, but don't throw quality away, at the very least you can give the toy transmitter to a kid. No offense, Dave, but the whole package is too good a value to throw anything away. My compliments on another winner!
I hear what you are saying I would feel better handing the TX to a kid while the bird is in the air than to let a kid handle the Airplane. In fact I am thinking about going out to fly now as soon as batteries charge and it is misting out I would never do that or consider that with my DX6i.
Hellysmack is offline Find More Posts by Hellysmack
Old May 17, 2010, 05:37 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,353 Posts
I think ill have to get this bird because there are days when winds are 5 mph or more and I dont try and fly UM P51 mustang cause it doesnt handle it well, but sounds like this baby does
Old May 17, 2010, 05:56 PM
Joined Jan 2010
21 Posts
Quote:
I think ill have to get this bird because there are days when winds are 5 mph or more and I dont try and fly UM P51 mustang cause it doesnt handle it well, but sounds like this baby does

It bobs up and down about 2 feet in higher winds but I didn't have trouble with crosswinds. Just don't fly it too close to the ground in higher winds.

Brian
BrianSch is offline Find More Posts by BrianSch
Old May 17, 2010, 06:05 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,353 Posts
Sweet as long as it handles more wind than my mustang it's all good. I am fairly new to planes. I have the vapor and p51 micros and was thinking or cub but this looks better. I have a dx6i so wish it came in BNF but 89 is a good pride for RTF
Old May 17, 2010, 06:27 PM
Joined Jan 2010
21 Posts
Quote:
Sweet as long as it handles more wind than my mustang it's all good. I am fairly new to planes. I have the vapor and p51 micros and was thinking or cub but this looks better. I have a dx6i so wish it came in BNF but 89 is a good pride for RTF
I thought about a super cub but after crashing mine fatally the first day I have been leary about buying another. I have an ember and playmate and the Champ handles much better than either with or without wind. The Champ is an infinitly better deal than the ember even though it doesn't come BNF. It bound to my dx6i just fine and the Champ transmitter can be bound to other BNF planes so it should fetch $20 or $30 on ebay.

Brian
BrianSch is offline Find More Posts by BrianSch
Old May 17, 2010, 06:42 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,353 Posts
Brian

I agree; now I want this plane bad but will have to wait a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSch View Post
I thought about a super cub but after crashing mine fatally the first day I have been leary about buying another. I have an ember and playmate and the Champ handles much better than either with or without wind. The Champ is an infinitly better deal than the ember even though it doesn't come BNF. It bound to my dx6i just fine and the Champ transmitter can be bound to other BNF planes so it should fetch $20 or $30 on ebay.

Brian