HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:36 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,505 Posts
part of my problem i have discovered is the landing gear comes loose in holder, so i used hotglue to hold it in place, like another member posted earlier somewhere. I also added new velcro, so hopefully it works better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotoper View Post
Yeah, I have that problem too - batt pops out anytime I land, so touch and go's don't work so well. A couple times I've got it to come loose just doing some high g maneuvers.
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:38 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,505 Posts
Check this out!!!!

If I am correct, one could use this kit to add connectors to vapor/champ brick to ass lights, and MAYBE, other servos, but i dont think so.

http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...roducts_id=213
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:39 PM
Joined Jun 2010
12 Posts
This is my 2nd night of flying with the Champ and my first airplane and I noticed tonight when I was trying to fly the nose of the plane keep on going up/down. I don't know if I was going to slow or what? The wind was only about 2-3mph at the most. When I tried to throw it by hand it would glide down nice but it did look a little nose heavy. I had the battery all the way back in the slot.
Thanks,
Seth
setht is offline Find More Posts by setht
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:43 PM
USA, MA, Medford
Joined Jun 2010
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
Have you moved in on the horns any? I'm now 1 away from the last inner hole on both horns and it really livens the plane up, but still can easily be flown with a scale feel, just smaller movements on the sticks. I'm looking to start trying out an aileron plane as well. I keep looking at the T-28 since it seems like absolutely everybody I've talked to recommends it as the next step.
I wonder if a 3 channel aileron plane would be a good transition? Is it just that turning with ailerons is harder than with rudder that makes 4ch planes harder, or is it about learning how to mix aileron and rudder into your turns? I love the Champ and am spending much of my time trying to perfect a 180deg rudder roll (I can't do it consistently yet), but I am getting tempted to get a um p51 bnf next to be able to try all the rolling maneuvers. I've been looking at the erc micro spitfire and mustang.
Biotoper is offline Find More Posts by Biotoper
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:47 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wslco10 View Post
I have a dx7 which my not be the best. What radio would be a better choice?
A DX7 is perfect. Just give it expo on ailerons and elevator until its a pussycat.

If it climbs under throttle, give it a throttle to down elevator mix until it flies around level at speed.

If it "falls into" turns and crashes, gently twist the wingtips trailing edge up, leading edge down, and/or use your thumb to squeeze a little camber in the top of the aileron at the wingtip on each side. This washout will reduce the tendency to tip stall when you slow it down.

I had my mustang for at least 6 month before I flew it, but I tried the Mustang on the simulator until I could turn nice smooth turns right and left. I then took my Mustang out of the box, bound it and flew 8 batteries through it and it was perfect.

My first Sukhoi was in trees, slamming to the ground and was a white knuckle ordeal. Compared to it, the Mustang is the easiest 4 channel plane to fly in the world.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:51 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by setht View Post
This is my 2nd night of flying with the Champ and my first airplane and I noticed tonight when I was trying to fly the nose of the plane keep on going up/down. I don't know if I was going to slow or what? The wind was only about 2-3mph at the most. When I tried to throw it by hand it would glide down nice but it did look a little nose heavy. I had the battery all the way back in the slot.
Thanks,
Seth
Up and down is more than likely tail heavy. Move the battery forward and see if it smooths out.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:00 PM
Joined Jun 2010
12 Posts
Thanks for the idea I will try it next time. I am just using the stock battery and I was wondering where do most people find they have to have it placed for the Champ to fly good. I tried with it all the way forward then I tried to throw it and let it glide but I thought it was to nose heavy.
Thanks for all the help.
Seth
setht is offline Find More Posts by setht
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:01 PM
Holy atomic pile, Batman!
Lafayette, Indiana
Joined Jan 2007
743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcnomo View Post
Looks like one of my ex-mother-in-laws.....

I've had my Champ for about a month....I absolutely love it.....I've had no glitches or anything....I especially like getting up and flyin her around 6:30 in the morning..no wind...pure heaven...

Mark
Steppenwolf is offline Find More Posts by Steppenwolf
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:03 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by setht View Post
Thanks for the idea I will try it next time. I am just using the stock battery and I was wondering where do most people find they have to have it placed for the Champ to fly good. I tried with it all the way forward then I tried to throw it and let it glide but I thought it was to nose heavy.
Thanks for all the help.
Seth
If it goes parabolic and noses in when you try to glide it, give it up elevator trim, don't move weight back.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:26 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Apr 2009
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Up and down is more than likely tail heavy. Move the battery forward and see if it smooths out.
I both moved the battery(Turnigy 160) forward and also taped a dime under the cowl. Flys very nice.
wslco10 is online now Find More Posts by wslco10
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:32 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
After adding the dubro 150wm wheels that got posted 2 pages back or so in this thread, I have to say It flies to same, CG's out the same and penetrates the wind a tad batter.

Biggest improvement is in the ground handling.. more prop clearance and more options to land & take off from made it a blast out at my brother's house this evening. His driveway used to present a problem for the stock tires as it was just rough enough it wouldn't taxi consistently. The new treads gave me no worries tonight at all, and I managed less then 5 foot rolling takeoffs. For a bit the wind kicked up a hair and I even managed a series of true STOL take offs & landings. I had the tail in the air before the plane was rolling and had it off the ground in well under a foot. Circling to land into the wind I was well throttled down, and rolled out maybe 8 inches after initial touchdown. It really made it look & feel like bush flying :P

My youngest daughter doesn't care at 15 months old, but my brother's boy was all "WOW!" at 2 years old.. Brought a grin to my face as he sat and watched me fly 3 packs through it. A 2 year old boys attention is hard to hold, but the Champ had his for a full 45 minutes lol.

~Kev
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:44 PM
Holy atomic pile, Batman!
Lafayette, Indiana
Joined Jan 2007
743 Posts
My three year old Grandson likes to carry my Champ outside to fly...Then he likes to tell me to watch out for trees, cars and houses....Then he tells me to land on the driveway...and he then carries it back inside to let the motors cool.....Doesn't get any better than that......

Mark
Steppenwolf is offline Find More Posts by Steppenwolf
Old Jul 01, 2010, 12:01 AM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
If I am correct, one could use this kit to add connectors to vapor/champ brick to ass lights, and MAYBE, other servos, but i dont think so.

http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...roducts_id=213
what are ass lights?
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Jul 01, 2010, 12:04 AM
Joined Jun 2010
100 Posts
OK I opened up the champ,,, scary as hell(I am not a modeler).
Used medium ca to glue the broken foam motor mount.
While I was there I looked at the RX.
Is there supposed to be a visible antenna somewhere??
I can not see one, could someone point it out please.
jazz53 is offline Find More Posts by jazz53
Old Jul 01, 2010, 12:05 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,505 Posts
you know, the lights on the tail feathers............yeah, thats it lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
what are ass lights?