HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:19 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
I think you just rudder the same direction you're using ailerons and the roll-coupling makes it roll quite a bit quicker but I'm not sure. Awaiting UNGN's response

I'll have to try this on the sim, but UNGN usually explains well.
Saxguy1000 is online now Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:56 PM
Raikkonen for President
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
7,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
I'll have to try this on the sim, but UNGN usually explains well.
Yes, agreed. I'm still trying to get used to using up-then-down timing on the elevator during a roll on a slower rolling plane so that it comes out heading straight instead of 45 degrees nose down.
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:56 AM
CRASH, FIX, REPEAT
United States, KY, Bardstown
Joined Apr 2010
922 Posts
Practice, Practice, Practice, lol
helibard is offline Find More Posts by helibard
Old Mar 06, 2013, 01:02 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
I think you just rudder the same direction you're using ailerons and the roll-coupling makes it roll quite a bit quicker but I'm not sure. Awaiting UNGN's response

That is correct. Rudder in the same direction as Ailerons help "Snap" the roll, similar to the way it rudder rolls a Champ.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Mar 06, 2013, 02:01 PM
Pan Pan, Pan Pan, Mayday
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,483 Posts
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SilentPilot; Mar 06, 2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Oops, wrong thread!
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:12 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,188 Posts
Quote:
UNGN - You are always teaching me stuff. How do you apply rudder to speed up a roll? That's new to me.
when you have a wing with dihedral, the rudder will actually induce roll in the plane.. it will bank the plane in the direction.... thats what allows dihedral planes to turn so nicelly (tought not much fast or 3Dish) with rudder and what allows the Champ to not need ailerons at all .. the Champ actually can make snap rolls with rudder and elevator only.

In a plane like the T28 where you have dihedral, rudder and ailerons, the rudder will induce roll wich sumed to the ailerons will increase the roll amount a lot.. it wont be obiously a flat clean roll .. more like a small barrel-roll

This applies to all dihedral planes..and is an old and effective trick on planes like the EasyStar family.. the AXN Floater for example.. it has a slow aileron roll rate.. but if you combine both ailerons and rudder it will spin way way faster
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Mar 07, 2013, 04:48 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,618 Posts
Thanks UNGN! That is great info I've not gotten anywhere else! I had no idea I could attempt a roll on the Champ. As soon as the wind slows down from around 54mph, I'll try this out!
Saxguy1000 is online now Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:36 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,188 Posts
Quote:
Thanks UNGN! That is great info I've not gotten anywhere else! I had no idea I could attempt a roll on the Champ. As soon as the wind slows down from around 54mph, I'll try this out!
More like a barrel roll but yes.. it will roll..

actually the Champ is quite aerobatic if you are energetic enought with the sticks and throws... i use the Champ to ilustrate people that 3 chanel planes with no ailerons can be fun too (not all.. i also own a 2m glider with no ailerons wich uses dihedral and i wouldnt try a roll on that , but again thats the plane i use now for FPV)
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:29 AM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,201 Posts
Hey guys! After two years of flying this beautiful little plane, which includes a trip up over 1,000, it still puts a smile of my face every time I fly it

Hobbyzone Champ in church parking lot on windy day (3 min 11 sec)
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2013, 07:10 AM
1st to the scene of the crash
United States, GA, Dalton
Joined Jul 2012
807 Posts
Nice video, I'd love to maiden my Champ if the wind would ever quit blowing here.
Laneritc is online now Find More Posts by Laneritc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 14" Nut Ball
Old Mar 10, 2013, 07:11 AM
Like a Tortoise
Joined Jan 2013
144 Posts
that is the truth. hook line and champ
hare is offline Find More Posts by hare
Old Mar 10, 2013, 07:36 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
Hey guys! After two years of flying this beautiful little plane, which includes a trip up over 1,000, it still puts a smile of my face every time I fly it
I also have the Velcro letting ho problem. I just got a P-51 and the previous owner likes to use toothpicks a lot. They push into the fuse easy enough and then you can stretch a small rubber band over the battery to keep it in place. That plane is also intended to use the same battery we use, but he used these:

Nano Tech batteries $2.99 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Mini_CP_.html

It requires you to change the plug. Then again, the plug is a royal PITA at times and that would allow you to go to micro Deans connectors. They're easier to deal with and give positive contact.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:23 AM
In my Prayers
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,363 Posts
If you Guys are having a problem keeping your batteries from flying off, I did this mod a member turned me on to. Remove the cheap velcro from battery hold and replace the whole cavity with fuzz velcro. Add hooked velcro to some shrink wrap. The shrink wrap pictured fits beautiful. You can now slip these off and onto other batts Very easy and it works great.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:45 AM
Like a Tortoise
Joined Jan 2013
144 Posts
Day light savings time, lighter later, sweet. just as it was light in the Am its dark again Lol soon it will level out. now to get the champ flying.....
hare is offline Find More Posts by hare
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:57 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
448 Posts
i just lost it.

7:00pm or so, still light out. i was bored, had a few drinks. stupidly i decided to fly it in my driveway, trees, power lines etc.

no wind at all, trimmed it and at 2 minutes it went below tree lines in front of my house, i couldnt see it. lost it im kinda pissed at myself. not because i flew it from my driveway, i was doing great, but because i forgot about those two trees.

i jogged a few blocks could not find it.

so now im wondering if i should buy another one. i have the tx, 5 batteries now instead of 6, extra prop, front wheels. or if i should move on to the micro t-28 or so.

it was a stupid mistake damn lost the champ
bradymartin is online now Find More Posts by bradymartin