HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:07 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
North_of_49's Avatar
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBarlow View Post
Well, I've solved all problems associeted with cold batteries!

Just take a scrap piece of foam, and tape it over the battery compartment like so:

(I'll add a pic soon)

I went out with it like that today, and when I landed after 4 minutes of flight (More than I normally get), The battery wasn't even cold!

I will be much happier to fly in the cold now knowing that I am not destroying my batteries.
???

What problem with cold batteries? You shouldn't have a problem in the first place if they're warm when you put them in and it's not like -20C outside. They generate their own heat at the current levels we pull off them.

I fly the same size lipo in my mcx2 outdoors around 0C (32F) for full 6 minute flights... same as I get indoors.
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:35 PM
No place like cloud base......
SuperBarlow's Avatar
United States, VT
Joined Aug 2012
425 Posts
I can't fly for more than two minute without hitting LVC in the cold (Sub 20).
And I do keep them warm before I fly with them
SuperBarlow is online now Find More Posts by SuperBarlow
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:58 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
North_of_49's Avatar
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBarlow View Post
I can't fly for more than two minute without hitting LVC in the cold (Sub 20).
And I do keep them warm before I fly with them
That doesn't sound right... something else must me going on. 20F or 20C?
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:22 PM
No place like cloud base......
SuperBarlow's Avatar
United States, VT
Joined Aug 2012
425 Posts
20 f.

20 C would not be right.

Sorry, I didn't realize we were talking in different measures.
SuperBarlow is online now Find More Posts by SuperBarlow
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:33 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
North_of_49's Avatar
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBarlow View Post
20 f.

20 C would not be right.

Sorry, I didn't realize we were talking in different measures.
That should still be ok. I'm just on the phone but I'm going to pm you in a bit.
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:27 PM
I am GBLynden
GBLynden's Avatar
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,531 Posts
Hey Guys!

I finally got my Champ on video. It was pretty windy, so of course there are bloopers at the end of the video that reflect this lol

I did as many loops and other stunts and acrobatics as I could. The wind dampened some of that a bit, but it also made this video more interesting than it would have been otherwise.

PS: This is the very Champ that I took up over 1,000 in the air.

Hobbyzone Champ Flying on a Windy Day (4 min 17 sec)
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Last edited by GBLynden; Feb 11, 2013 at 09:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:34 PM
Elfi Flyer
Doug Sipprell's Avatar
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBarlow View Post
Well, I've solved all problems associeted with cold batteries! Just take a scrap piece of foam, and tape it over the battery
.
Been doing that for a few winters now. I also use a "blankie" on the UM P-51, UM T-28, UM J-3 Cub, FZ Albatros, and UM Pole Cat, all using the Hyperion 240mAh 1S Lipo. Haven't tried mittens for the tires as yet.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:45 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
Chap1012's Avatar
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
Hey Guys!

I finally got my Champ on video. It was pretty windy, so of course there are bloopers at the end of the video that reflect this lol

I did as many loops and other stunts and acrobatics as I could. The wind dampened some of that a bit, but it also made this video more interesting than it would have been otherwise.

PS: This is the very Champ that I took up over 1,000 in the air.

http://youtu.be/pxImfQAhahY
Nice flying in that breeze. Those bloopers at the end is the story of my life

BTW, I'm a real dog lover. The dog in your avatar is so cute. Would you be so kind to tell us more about him/her. Is that a Birthday cake (or something) with 12 on it

Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:57 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
Repaired wing flies! Hope to go the the park later and fly more but flew it down the street and back earlier and everything seemed good.
Greg Head is offline Find More Posts by Greg Head
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:12 PM
I am GBLynden
GBLynden's Avatar
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Nice flying in that breeze. Those bloopers at the end is the story of my life

BTW, I'm a real dog lover. The dog in your avatar is so cute. Would you be so kind to tell us more about him/her. Is that a Birthday cake (or something) with 12 on it

Mike.
Hahaha!

Thanks Mike,

I thought the bloopers would add character to the video. Regarding the dog, I have no idea what breed it is. I know all about the "cake" however. That is a symbol for the Seahawk's 12thman.
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:48 PM
Registered User
Ginohio's Avatar
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
Hahaha!

Thanks Mike,

I thought the bloopers would add character to the video. Regarding the dog, I have no idea what breed it is. I know all about the "cake" however. That is a symbol for the Seahawk's 12thman.
Hard to tell because the picture is small but kinda looks like a Shih Tzu. Just with a chip on his shoulder. which is not like a Shih Tzu, ask me how I know...lol
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:37 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
Chap1012's Avatar
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
Hahaha!

Thanks Mike,

I thought the bloopers would add character to the video. Regarding the dog, I have no idea what breed it is. I know all about the "cake" however. That is a symbol for the Seahawk's 12thman.
LOLLooks like I missed NFL football 101

So, who's the the cute little killer doggie's name? How old? ...pics Man
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:21 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
another reason I love the champ: I thought I was going to have to buy lipos for it but discovered that the old tired lipos I had for my nano cpx, msrx and even a couple cheapos that I ordered and never had enough juice to get my helis off the ground work great in the champ. It's like recycling

BTW 4 batteries today through the champ and had a ball, last battery wind got me again and I broke the wing... again. Time to break out the gorilla glue and packing tape.
Greg Head is offline Find More Posts by Greg Head
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:31 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
Chap1012's Avatar
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,111 Posts
I always put my best batts forward
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:08 AM
I am GBLynden
GBLynden's Avatar
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginohio View Post
Hard to tell because the picture is small but kinda looks like a Shih Tzu. Just with a chip on his shoulder. which is not like a Shih Tzu, ask me how I know...lol
It does look a little like one of those doesn't it? I had one growing up and even though I know it is generally known as a smart breed, this one was really dumb lol

So tell me how you know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
LOLLooks like I missed NFL football 101

So, who's the the cute little killer doggie's name? How old? ...pics Man
I honeslty don't know. I found it online and thought it was funny
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion What plane is this? Debolt Livewire Champ-w/short video reacher10 The Builders Workshop 48 Mar 29, 2011 03:20 PM
Discussion Super Champ Restoration x-craft Off-road Cars 48 May 25, 2010 07:48 PM
For Sale Champ (1/8th scale, electric) Maggie Han Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 12 Mar 19, 2010 08:31 PM
For Sale 2x Ni-Mh batts will fit PKZ or HBZ planes gazza1 Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 0 Sep 07, 2009 09:46 AM
Question digital camera for hbz extreme bluescoobydoo Aerial Photography 0 Jul 31, 2005 11:25 AM