HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:03 AM
Like a Tortoise
Joined Jan 2013
144 Posts
Yes to fly her and catch her may be the way to go. If you do not crunch doing it.

Now if the plane like said. Broken the wing and you caught it but missed. You think the wing snap as well.

Do you thin this is a defect. Bubble in foam?
hare is offline Find More Posts by hare
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:13 AM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hare View Post
Yes to fly her and catch her may be the way to go. If you do not crunch doing it.

Now if the plane like said. Broken the wing and you caught it but missed. You think the wing snap as well.

Do you thin this is a defect. Bubble in foam?
I've caught my carbon cub several times
Had important incoming phone calls and didn't have the time to make a landing approach.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:02 PM
Like a Tortoise
Joined Jan 2013
144 Posts
The catch is the fun part, Once we get the knack of it, its becomes natural. I find that if I extend my arm out, and as I catch her I bring my arm is and gently wrap but not close hard, and She is bought in like those harrier planes on an aircraft, Ever so gentle.

Lucky the Champs prop and motor is not strong enough to do damage, but on other planes I be a lot more careful.

Some people lose fingers over simple things Like tug o war
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:38 PM
Joined May 2012
8,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hare View Post
The catch is the fun part, Once we get the knack of it, its becomes natural. I find that if I extend my arm out, and as I catch her I bring my arm is and gently wrap but not close hard, and She is bought in like those harrier planes on an aircraft, Ever so gentle.

Lucky the Champs prop and motor is not strong enough to do damage, but on other planes I be a lot more careful.

Some people lose fingers over simple things Like tug o war
CC isn't the slowest plane out there and I'm not proficient enough with its flaps to really slow it down, so I just run underneath it in a gentle glide downward, then power off completely till I can snag it. I'm young enough to haul the mail when I need to
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:43 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
The UM T-28 has lot of dihedral, so its still way stable... its almost a Champ with 4ch..

the Champ can fly slower , glides more and can carry more load tought .. also has longer fligh times with same batt
Yep T-28 was much faster, and much more 'goes where you point it.' Wind was 7-10mph and trims way out but I knew within 30 seconds that I like this one. Never flew a tricycle before and greased about 4 landings.

Gotta add some color to the bottom side though because it becomes nearly invisible at 150' out. I'm perfectly comfortable flying Champ 200 yards out because of the orange paint.

T-28 = +1
jbarchuk is online now Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:57 PM
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
Gorilla glued my wing tonight, can't wait for flight number 2. I hope this fix works because I really enjoyed my first time out with it and was really hoping to show my father in law this plane this weekend. He flew about 20 years ago and swears rtf foam planes can't fly and gas is the only way to go. I took the champ out having never flown a plane and had a blast through 3 batteries on my first outing. If only I hadn't botched the landing...
Greg Head is offline Find More Posts by Greg Head
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:51 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,282 Posts
That is great news Greg. I'm sure your second outing will be awesome. Stay calm and do your pre-flight checks before take off....into the wind.

BTW, when I wake up in the AM, there should be about 2 feet of snow outside. Dang, it's a blizzard

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:20 AM
Like a Tortoise
Joined Jan 2013
144 Posts
Greg.

That is why these Old farts All hear need to be taught a lesion.

Old school is out, new school is in.

I am sure you will do just fine, If you did not tape over the glue, and it expanded, the glue can be sanded down. And the tape just gives it a tad more strength.

get out there, and enjoy the champ, report back, us old folks would love to hear your story.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:20 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post

BTW, when I wake up in the AM, there should be about 2 feet of snow outside. Dang, it's a blizzard

Mike.
See, now if you had gotten into 3D on a 450 size heli, you could take care of the snow with that!!!!!!! We got about a foot. I was out there with teh snow blower 3 times yesterday.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:59 AM
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
Greetings,

Thought I would share a mod I did to add struts to the Champ.. I used the strut kit from the UMX Gee Bee and it worked out good..

Instead of the .020 carbon rods that came with the kit I used a little heavier .030 carbon rod and they fit really tight in the plastic mounts so no need to glue the rods to the plastic mounts, makes it easier if the need to split the fuse comes up..

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ee-r2-EFLU4561

James
NWJames is offline Find More Posts by NWJames
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:13 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,544 Posts
I like that!

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:22 PM
Like a Tortoise
Joined Jan 2013
144 Posts
We Like that.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:45 PM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,183 Posts
I like you.
nightfox7 is online now Find More Posts by nightfox7
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:19 PM
Joined May 2012
8,473 Posts
I like turtles
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:52 PM
No place like cloud base......
United States, VT
Joined Aug 2012
433 Posts
Well, I've solved all problems associeted with cold batteries!

Just take a scrap piece of foam, and tape it over the battery compartment like so:

(I'll add a pic soon)

I went out with it like that today, and when I landed after 4 minutes of flight (More than I normally get), The battery wasn't even cold!

I will be much happier to fly in the cold now knowing that I am not destroying my batteries.
SuperBarlow is online now Find More Posts by SuperBarlow