HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:05 AM
Formosa/VH EPP Thundebolt/UMXR
United States, WA, La Conner
Joined Jan 2013
297 Posts
Thanks, Tony. I got one and two programmed on switches. And will put number three on hold. Will have to go look at 15351
1. Put Ail/Rud on Ail D/R switch.
2. Put Throt/Elev on the Elev D/R Switch.

Slowly learning what the settings do.

ON edit: I looked at 15351 and am a confused Newbie. On the throttle/Elev he had it inputting 15% up Elevator at full throttle. That seems backwards. If the Champ climbs on throttle, doesn't it need down Elevator to slow the climb rate?

I set:
Thro+ Elev ACT
Rate D + 15% U 0%
SW ELEV D/R TRIM INH

When I throttle up I see the down Elevator being applied.

?????

Chris
snoking is offline Find More Posts by snoking
Last edited by snoking; Jan 28, 2013 at 10:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:28 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,667 Posts
You're welcome

Don't be misled by what you have to enter into the mix menu, you just need to make sure the surface goes the right way.
I'm pretty sure he's got it setup to lower the elevator slightly with throttle.

Tony
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:55 AM
Joined Jan 2013
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
You're welcome

Don't be misled by what you have to enter into the mix menu, you just need to make sure the surface goes the right way.
I'm pretty sure he's got it setup to lower the elevator slightly with throttle.

Tony
Ok, looked at it again. And the way I had it was wrong and the SW applied 15% up when switched on. The way he has it, trim does not change with the switch change, but I get down elevator with throttle up. Now for the rain to go away!

Thanks again. Chris
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:50 PM
Joined Jan 2013
297 Posts
Well I like the down elevator / throttle mix setup. Did both hand launch and street take offs and then switched it on.

Friend was flying his Carbon Cub, man is it faster! Might be my second plane, but a lot to learn first. Chris
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:54 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,667 Posts
Be careful of jumping straight from the Champ to the Carbon Cub.
The Cub is a lot more delicate and easily damaged. It also needs to be flown with fully coordinated Rudder/Aileron turns or things can get real ugly...

Tony
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:27 PM
Joined Jan 2013
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Be careful of jumping straight from the Champ to the Carbon Cub.
The Cub is a lot more delicate and easily damaged. It also needs to be flown with fully coordinated Rudder/Aileron turns or things can get real ugly...

Tony
No kidding! We went out again this afternoon and he was inverted on a low pass and we did not find all the pieces! LHS did not have all the needed parts, so it will be a fews days to get it back together.

Wind got my Champ and I had to really work to get it back and onto the ground. Glad I had the stronger radio, as it was most likely out of range of the OEM radio. I think the OEM 150 battery is kind of TU(low power, short life). The Hyperion 160 my friend got me at the Apache Junction fly in last Friday is great and I ordered a three pack of them. My other 160 seems good also. Chris
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:53 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,062 Posts
You should consider the miniaviation 190's.
Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:00 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoking View Post
I have a Champ and bought a DX6i yesterday. I was going to try the following setups and would except any input.

1. Mirror rudder onto left stick, for use in takeoffs getting ready for an aileron plane someday.
2. Mix a little down elevator into throttle stick, what percentage?
3. Mix a little up elevator into right rudder stick, what percentage?

Now off to work on binding the radio for the first time!!!! And start learning the new radio!

Thanks

Chris
I've done all of it. I don't use all of it all the time. Amounts on some of it are personal taste... just play around with it. Here's the DX6i setting for your #1. above, you can use mix 1 or mix 2...

North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:15 PM
United States, MI, Kalamazoo
Joined Jan 2012
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoking View Post
No kidding! We went out again this afternoon and he was inverted on a low pass and we did not find all the pieces! LHS did not have all the needed parts, so it will be a fews days to get it back together.

Wind got my Champ and I had to really work to get it back and onto the ground. Glad I had the stronger radio, as it was most likely out of range of the OEM radio. I think the OEM 150 battery is kind of TU(low power, short life). The Hyperion 160 my friend got me at the Apache Junction fly in last Friday is great and I ordered a three pack of them. My other 160 seems good also. Chris
Ahoy! Take Lee's advice. #1 battery in my book, Love 'em... and you can get them right here...Capt'n

http://www.miniaviation.com/KM_190P.html
mycaptain is offline Find More Posts by mycaptain
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:37 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,062 Posts
I used to do all kinds of mix's on my dx6I and dx8. I just use my fingers now though. Best thing for a newb champ flyer is to put that rudder on the left stick from the get-go. Learn it now. Don't learn bad habit's if they can be avoided.
Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:25 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
452 Posts
i just received the champ but i got no manual. should i call them for one?

couple of questions. im using the stock charger, when the light stops blinking completely, the battery is charged, correct?

also, the control rod is on the outermost hole, is that fine or should i move it closer?
bradymartin is offline Find More Posts by bradymartin
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:31 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post

couple of questions. im using the stock charger, when the light stops blinking completely, the battery is charged, correct?

also, the control rod is on the outermost hole, is that fine or should i move it closer?
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...html?media=pdf
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:37 PM
Like a Tortoise
Joined Jan 2013
144 Posts
Here is a flight report.

Winds never seem to stop, pulled out the altimeter, turnigy 100mah battery, and proceeded to a soaring 600 plus feet, in a heart beat, She topped out, and acted like she stalled, telling she lost radio signal. as she leveled, signal bounced back, making sure Tx, ant, Rx are in uniform? Coasted, soared, and dead stick. A number of times, placing throttle on, no reaction. As she was safely brought in, the turnigy will be laid to rest, no longer for air flight? Not the first time she acted up, there is a cut in the line that may be causing a short?

Out comes the Triple a lot lighter battery, and as gentle as throttle, was given she climbed to 600 plus feet, soaring, coasting, and hovering, all dead stick. Giving throttle, she responds and time for a quick drop in altitude, and grab another round of 600 plus feet, coast, and up again and again. The ground is damp, and muddy, the air is moist, and time to pack in it and call it a good day flying.

Soon the champ will take the air, but no more at high altitude, 600 feet is breath taking, 1000, way to much, especially for a champ. 1600 plus on a super cub, is a once in a flight time for me.

Happy flying and enjoy
hare is offline Find More Posts by hare
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:38 PM
Like a Tortoise
Joined Jan 2013
144 Posts
Quote:

Take out the inner, and it is most likely taped on the inside, with the Velcro?
hare is offline Find More Posts by hare
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:28 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,050 Posts
Quote:

did you look under the bottom of your foam? Lift foam out of the box it should be taped there. Otherwise the manual is online.
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio