SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:00 AM
Like a Tortoise
Joined Jan 2013
144 Posts
Without getting into detail, I kept my reply simple.

Stock Tx we can not do that. and that is where I leave it to the pro's
hare is offline Find More Posts by hare
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:14 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,486 Posts
Happy belated BD North. And I thank you all for the BD wishes. No cake, but nice gifts Sometimes I wonder if any of you sleep at night...lol.

@Brady So tomorrow is the big day you get your Champ eh There are several things you should do before taking flight. First of course is trimming. Read the instructions (#1)!!!! I assume you'll be using the "game boy" TX. Make sure all trims are centered on the TX (per instruction manual). Power up. Now look at your ELE and rudder. They should look equal to the HOR stab and VERT stab surfaces. If not, shut down and use those "U" shaped thingys to move the ELE/RUD in either direction. Do this step very carefully. You'll need a pair of needle nose pliers. If you have to squeeze the "U" shaped thingy in I use a Popsicle stick in between as to not over do it. Use the pliers to spread them if necessary. Again, very carefully. The idea of this "mechanical" trim first is so you'll have maximum trim on the TX.

Also, put a dab of CA on the ends of the axles all around to keep from loosing the wheels.

Install battery and check your COG (center of gravity) also in the manual. I made my COG stand out of a wire coat hanger.

Have fun and I wish you a successful maiden. I'm sure other may add to this.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:31 AM
Joined Mar 2008
11,486 Posts
Here's a cool mod passed off to me by another member (sorry i forget who).

The velcro on the stock Champ just out right sucks. I made one sleeve from shrink wrap and stuck some hooked velcro on it. Line the cavity of the battery compartment with fuzzy velcro (remove the crappy stuff). Wahla, you can now use different types of batteries and move the batt forward or backward to adjust COG. Just slip off the sleeve and slip the sleeve onto the next batt

The size shrink wrap pictured fits absolutely perfect. If you can't find this size, go a little bigger and heat shrink it down...not too tight now

Mike.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:54 AM
Like a Tortoise
Joined Jan 2013
144 Posts
Weekend flight report

As I have on the side lines, waiting for the breeze to let go, it does not give, and If the champ is crying, it wants a flight. How windy is windy, enough to take off the rudder, and watch it roll across the field, till the Antz were brave enough to pop a few feelers out, and hold it down.

Meanwhile winds are wicked, does not stop a brother from gaining altitude, and cut stick, dead stick. The floating, the coasting, the soaring, just have to be in it to feel the glory?

9 minutes later, with capture, did I mention the geese in view, made a few passes, and they were just invisible in the capture? 9 minutes of pure blisimess fun. a few 3/4 throttle's and soaring. Mkes for a perfect morning.

Enjoy your champ, while it is a dead calm day, for I it's wind wind wind.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:08 AM
Joined Mar 2008
11,486 Posts
hare where are you located? I'm just north of Boston and it's been biting cold and the wind has been relentless

Mike.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:11 PM
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
Here is a pic of my two Champs, freshly rehabbed and ready to fly! Just waiting for all the snow to melt! I love looking at the beautiful work folks on here do, making their Champs look truly scale and flawless..... But I also like leaving mine with all their battle scars and scratches..... I think this is how a well loved and well used Champ should look! Happy flying and happy rehabbing!
Mikeamondo is offline Find More Posts by Mikeamondo
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:03 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hare View Post
Weekend flight report

As I have on the side lines, waiting for the breeze to let go, it does not give, and If the champ is crying, it wants a flight. How windy is windy, enough to take off the rudder, and watch it roll across the field, till the Antz were brave enough to pop a few feelers out, and hold it down.

Meanwhile winds are wicked, does not stop a brother from gaining altitude, and cut stick, dead stick. The floating, the coasting, the soaring, just have to be in it to feel the glory?

9 minutes later, with capture, did I mention the geese in view, made a few passes, and they were just invisible in the capture? 9 minutes of pure blisimess fun. a few 3/4 throttle's and soaring. Mkes for a perfect morning.

Enjoy your champ, while it is a dead calm day, for I it's wind wind wind.
How windy is windy you ask? It happened to be blowing a good 25mph and gusting to maybe 35-40 at the cemetary today and myself and my buddy who just started flying 2 months ago were out with our little champs. Both are bone stock with the exception of bigger wheels and aftermarket batteries. I have hyp 160's and Rick has Thunder Power packs they are 150 or 170's, prolite 25c's I am also hauling around the velcro strap for my keychain cam which was mounted on my hat for this vid. There MAY be a non kid friendly word audible once or twice as this video isnt edited, so bear that in mind when watching. Enjoy and have a laugh. Again I would advise clicking the link to view it on youtube direct for smooth framerate and better quality, and watch in fullscreen 720p or the champs may be little orange blobs, anyway it was good times.

Mendo

WindyChamps (9 min 49 sec)
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:12 PM
txflyer
United States, TX, Aledo
Joined Jan 2013
97 Posts
If your new dont try to fly in wind. 25 mph the champ wont fly. Most folks can't judge wind correctly. I have had mine in 10 mph and it was just luck that it made it home. In high winds youbetter know what your doing. Plus its just no fun
amrmatt is offline Find More Posts by amrmatt
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:28 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,514 Posts
It's a different kind of fun in strong winds!
Keep pointing into wind and surf sideways. Turning downwind will just be too fast and soon into trouble

Tony
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:33 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrmatt View Post
If your new dont try to fly in wind. 25 mph the champ wont fly. Most folks can't judge wind correctly. I have had mine in 10 mph and it was just luck that it made it home. In high winds youbetter know what your doing. Plus its just no fun
One mans trash is another mans treasure......We have a blast, Ive been flying for 30 years and my friend in the video for maybe 60-80 days. Never had a single rc model of any kind and he is not a kid who grew up on xbox or anything, he is 60 years old and has little to no trouble flying the champ in this wind. It can be one of the most fun times to fly in my opinion, is a great teacher in its own right, and lastly, it always beats the work the wife would want done if you werent out flying

The champ and wind go together like peeeeeas and care-rawts...

Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:34 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,710 Posts
Quote:
If your new dont try to fly in wind. 25 mph the champ wont fly.
Well of of course 'new' is a different story but it will definitely fly. The difference is that at 15-20 it goes backwards.

Quote:
Most folks can't judge wind correctly.
Gauging by wind sock I know how Champ handles, and that vid was definitely gusting 25-30 because it was going backwards faster than mine ever has.

Quote:
I have had mine in 10 mph and it was just luck that it made it home.
Try more simulator time - it saves a lot of CA.

Quote:
In high winds youbetter know what your doing. Plus its just no fun
Sure it is!! It's barrels-o-monkeys fun!! Buckets- and barrels-o-monkeys!!! Well, maybe it's an acquired taste. I had my Slow Stick the other day inverted, and holding in harrier, and then sliding backwards. Champ is totally doable in wind. Same day it was maybe 15MPH and I had it perfectly trimmed at just the right speed and pointed directly into the wind, that it puttered sloooowly forward at less than walking speed, and I could take my hands off both sticks for 10 seconds at a time. It turned slightly to the right, I touched the rudder to straighten it, and took hands off for another 10 seconds. But unlike that vid the wind was very smooth and flat and zero gust variation for those few seconds.
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:35 PM
txflyer
United States, TX, Aledo
Joined Jan 2013
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
One mans trash is another mans treasure......We have a blast, Ive been flying for 30 years and my friend in the video for maybe 60-80 days. Never had a single rc model of any kind and he is not a kid who grew up on xbox or anything, he is 60 years old and has little to no trouble flying the champ in this wind. It can be one of the most fun times to fly in my opinion, is a great teacher in its own right, and lastly, it always beats the work the wife would want done if you werent out flying

The champ and wind go together like peeeeeas and care-rawts...

Mendo
Notice I said if you are new you shouldnt fly in wind.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:41 PM
txflyer
United States, TX, Aledo
Joined Jan 2013
97 Posts
I got a 100 dollar bill and 25 mph winds outside. Someone please come make a bet.
If those winds are 25 gusting to 30 that champ wouldnt have set still before take off.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:43 PM
Like a Tortoise
Joined Jan 2013
144 Posts
Mendo:

You have to be there to have that actual feel, and I trust your word,

For I fly my champ with a larger capacity battery. With the camera on, it's puts drag, that may help or cause you to fight to keep in the air?

If you are like ammatt, saying: noob's do not try this, totally agree.

I had a blast with my 36inch plane you can get it up, dead stick back to you, that much fun, it is a bigger champ if asked?

Great flying, just hearing the laugh's and sharing the video, puts a big smile on our faces here?

Mendo and friend X2
Would have gotten a late afternoon flight in, Not today.

tossing champ up and flying just takes some skills, so placing a bet up... there is a video challenge you can place it there if ya like
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:56 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
I got a 100 dollar bill and 25 mph winds outside. Someone please come make a bet.
If those winds are 25 gusting to 30 that champ wouldnt have set still before take off.
If it sat still it was either in a wind block or I was all over the throtle to keep it in place, its howling windy without a doubt. Several times in that video I am full throttle nose down and getting yarded over towards the vinyard to the east. It was an easy 25-30...

And as to someone new shouldnt fly in that wind, I ask why not? I am using Rick as a perfect example. He was having a blast, was in control and not uncomfortable or intimidated by the wind, he realizes how much he learns from it every time, and there is no pressure that he might wreck some expensive plane or is in over his head trying to fly something complex, he can just get right to the flying part and have fun, which is what its all about.

Mendo
RCG Plus Member