Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:22 PM
Raikkonen for President
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
7,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
no, i hope the stock tx is good enough.
Should be fine. If you get bit by the RC addiction bug, then there's always time to purchase a better programmable radio.
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:33 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
448 Posts
wait i assume the stock tx can trim the elevator and rudder?
bradymartin is offline Find More Posts by bradymartin
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:46 PM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trout911 View Post
Goober, that ufo flys stable. How much elevon movement do you have?

Think the Champ motor could handle a 550mah 1S?
Sure, it can take a 550mah battery. The question is do you need that much weight?

For a disc shaped fuselage, the CG is 25% diameter. So the first 3" of a 12" ufo needs enough weight to balance out the weight of the remaining 75%. Hence a heavy 450mah battery right on the nose.

For a swept (chevron) wing, the CG is roughly 33% of the chord length. Depending on the motor weight and placement, a 550mah batt might balance it out when placed mid-chord. Best to just try it once you know the correct location of the CG. If the wing is nose heavy with the batt 1" from the front then I'd go smaller. Slightly nose heavy is ok. A little nose heavy with some reflex trimmed in sounds good for a little wind up to 8 mph.

Oh yeah, the elevons are sized so that the deflection is about 1/2" up and down. Larger elevons would give more and if I ever make another one I'll definitely do it differently. I have built a couple other larger UFOs that I can hover.
GooberSB is offline Find More Posts by GooberSB
Last edited by GooberSB; Jan 21, 2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:48 PM
KK4QIN
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,083 Posts
Quote:
wait i assume the stock tx can trim the elevator and rudder?
Yes it can, but before you try to do trimming on the TX, try to mechanically trim the plane to fly as best as possible before using the TX trims.
nightfox7 is offline Find More Posts by nightfox7
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:48 PM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk74 View Post
Cool little build. I like how the rooster just casually watches it fly past. Have you tried switching from a Vapor prop, to a Champ prop? It should make it faster
I think what I would prefer more would be to use a 5043 prop for more thrust so I could do hovers and such like my 18" sport ufo.
GooberSB is offline Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:50 PM
Like a Tortoise
Joined Jan 2013
144 Posts
The stock transmitter is a four channel, and will have trim for each channel. Just remember to use a major brand battery with the stock, and keep her near by?

Remember to allow rest time between flight, and charge?
hare is offline Find More Posts by hare
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:15 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,368 Posts
Quote:
in my hobby zone cart i have the champ and two extra batteries free. total of 3 batteries. is 3 batteries enough?

i also have an extra wing, some ca glue and an extra prop. anything else i should add before i make the purchase?
Dude,,..You can never have too many batteries

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:24 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
448 Posts
cool one more question. i have a ton of eneloop rechargeable batteries. can i use these to charge the lipos with the included charger? the reason i ask is because for example on the blade scout you cannot use the eneloops because the charger will never let you know when the lipos are fully charged, for some reason
bradymartin is offline Find More Posts by bradymartin
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:59 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
5,775 Posts
Quote:
no, i hope the stock tx is good enough.
It doesn't have much range... I almost put my Champ into my neighbor's back yard a couple of times when I lost contact. This was during the first couple of days I had it... wised up, got off my lazy azz and programmed it into my DX6i and permanently shelved the toy transmitter..

I forgot to mention yesterday when we were discussing the Eneloop issue...

For charging my ultra micro 1S lipos I picked up a little Thunder Power 4 port pocket charger. I know you don't want to go back to buying alkalines.... this little charger can't even use them anyway... but you can use a wall adapter or a 12v battery like your car or small AGM sealed lead-acid battery to power it... I usually use the latter. It also comes in a cheaper DC only version. (I won't be using it anymore though, now that I have a Hyperion 1S 6 port parallel adapter to hook up to my "real" charger)

TP103CQ-ACDC
Name: 1-Thunder-Power-TP103CQ.jpg
Views: 35
Size: 25.5 KB
Description:

PS - I usually take 4 batteries with me to go fly my Champ. I like to give the motor and electronics a rest after that.
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:33 PM
txflyer
United States, TX, Aledo
Joined Jan 2013
97 Posts
So after reading this whole thread you guys convinced me I needed one of these. So now I have 2 both bought last week. One is un flown. One is at 38 flights. I dont even have to change from my house shoes to fly this one. I fly it right out side. I have 1.5 acres. But on a hill so I fly it out 4 to 500 feet easy. I love this thing. Is there anything else that flys like these? I even had it up in 5 to 7 mph wind.
amrmatt is offline Find More Posts by amrmatt
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:41 PM
Raikkonen for President
Joined May 2012
7,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrmatt View Post
So after reading this whole thread you guys convinced me I needed one of these. So now I have 2 both bought last week. One is un flown. One is at 38 flights. I dont even have to change from my house shoes to fly this one. I fly it right out side. I have 1.5 acres. But on a hill so I fly it out 4 to 500 feet easy. I love this thing. Is there anything else that flys like these? I even had it up in 5 to 7 mph wind.
Seek help. Fast. You've been sucked into the addiction!

Next step might be ParkZone um t-28
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:49 PM
txflyer
United States, TX, Aledo
Joined Jan 2013
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Seek help. Fast. You've been sucked into the addiction!

Next step might be ParkZone um t-28
Oh I have many planes. Just a new favorite. Nice to be able to fly in the yard. I can even take off from the picnic table.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:31 PM
Raikkonen for President
Joined May 2012
7,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrmatt View Post
Oh I have many planes. Just a new favorite. Nice to be able to fly in the yard. I can even take off from the picnic table.
I see. My bad! I'm breaking in my new carbon cub. Looks ridiculous floating around really slowly. I love it, it's a bit more challenging to fly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:37 PM
txflyer
United States, TX, Aledo
Joined Jan 2013
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
I see. My bad! I'm breaking in my new carbon cub. Looks ridiculous floating around really slowly. I love it, it's a bit more challenging to fly.
I have one also. I dont think it will ever be a favorite. I actually just flew 3 packs through it tonight . I wish it was more floaty I guess. But ig flys nice. I want to trade it off