SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:06 PM
RC pilots do it in the air
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
Yesterday a friend of mine and I had quite the adventure with my Champ.

I recently bought an 808 #16 keychain camera and have been having a lot of fun flying it on the Champ. I have also flown it on my PZ T-28, but the Champ can fly in more locations due to the smaller size and slower speeds.

Yesterday we were hiking in the Elysian Park area of Los Angeles, and at one point we found ourselves on a nice little spot where we would have been able to get some terrific aerial shots. Since the sun was about to set and the wind was laying down I got out the Champ, which I had thrown in the trunk on a whim that morning, and got the camera up and running (so I believed) and hand-launched the Champ.

Things went OK initially - there was some wind up higher above us, so I began fighting my way into the wind a bit. As I wanted to get some footage of the downwind direction, I made a quick turn with the wind and circled back into it, but that maneuver ended up costing me some altitude. The Champ began to dip below the treeline and I started to lose sight. "Uh oh," I thought.

Just then, the Champ made its way back into sight. Imagine my shock when I realized that it was not flying under its own power, but rather had been attacked and was being held aloft by a hawk of some sort!

I could not believe my eyes. We had seen various birds of prey around while we were hiking, and I have heard the rumors which I had always presumed to be largely urban myths about this sort of thing happening, but sure enough, there went my Champ, clutched in the talons of this hawk who was struggling himself to gain altitude.

I began hammering on the right sticks in the hopes that the servo noise and rudder/stab deflections would startle the bird into dropping the Champ. I'm not sure if that worked or if the bird realized that it would not be able to eat the Champ after all, but indeed the bird released it. I went running down a steep embankment in an attempt to keep the plane in my field of view.

Miraculously, I located the plane about a third of the way down this steep hillside. It had landed on its wheels on the ground somehow. Unfortunately, both the battery and the 808 camera were missing in action. After a few minutes, we managed to retrieve the camera!

When we got back to the house, we found that there was no data on the card from the camera. I even tried to use data recovery software on it, and found that the initial recording did not take place (I was able to replicate the issue at home). So, regretfully, there is no footage of the strike - VERY disappointing.

However there is plenty of evidence on the poor Champ's fuse and wing. I've attached some images where I've highlighted the areas where the talons punctured into the plane.

Believe it or not, it seems to be operational. However I will now take the opportunity to install my new tail section now.

I would not believe this story unless I had witnessed it with my own eyes. It was quite an exciting moment for us and the Champ!

(posting this over at the off topic thread as well)
marke14 is offline Find More Posts by marke14
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:42 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,965 Posts
holy crap, batman
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyZone Sport Cub S BNF
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:30 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,258 Posts
I've had my Champ attacked unsuccessfully . Waited until the hawk flared his wings and extended his talons and went full throttle straight down with bit of spin. It worked. Unfortunately I was not recording the flight even though I was wearing my hat cam. I've lost more good video than I've recorded in total
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:00 PM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,548 Posts
I too have evaded a hawk with my champ. Like you Whirlcap I waited until the hawk flaired and dove out of his way. He had to pull up or jit the neighbors garage.
jwp2 is online now Find More Posts by jwp2
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:05 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,965 Posts
Not as cool, but I had my wing tipped by a seagull... or, as we call them here, a shite hawk
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyZone Sport Cub S BNF
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:17 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp2 View Post
I too have evaded a hawk with my champ. Like you Whirlcap I waited until the hawk flaired and dove out of his way. He had to pull up or jit the neighbors garage.
I remembered seeing a similar posting here a while back involving an owl, with video. Searching youtube, there's been two owl/champ incidents posted!

Barred Owl Attacks Hobbyzone Champ RC Plane (0 min 39 sec)

Hobbyzone Champ Rc airplane owl crash (0 min 32 sec)
marhar is online now Find More Posts by marhar
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:23 PM
Winter is coming.
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Jan 2013
48 Posts
First flight

Well, after reading various threads about the Champ, I bought one. I've always wanted to RC fly since I was a little kid. No electrics back in those days.

First flight today, and just as advertised, she flew into the air just beautifully. What a blast.

Flew two batteries. 1st was dead calm, landed like a pro.

2nd with a slight breeze picking up. A little breeze is fun, you can get the Champ to hover. Towards the end it got a little gusty. I can definitely see how people can loose these planes in windy conditions. It sure wanted to go up and away. 2nd landing not as nice as the first with the wind, but it was still going so slow there was no damage.

Hopefully tonight it will die off and I can get a couple more in.

Great little plane for sure. A guy at work has a son who want to do RC, and I'm going to recommend the Champ for sure.

Well, back to the Phoenix sim to get some more flight time.

JerryT
JerryT87 is offline Find More Posts by JerryT87
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:43 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryT87 View Post
Well, after reading various threads about the Champ, I bought one. I've always wanted to RC fly since I was a little kid. No electrics back in those days.

First flight today, and just as advertised, she flew into the air just beautifully. What a blast.

Flew two batteries. 1st was dead calm, landed like a pro.

2nd with a slight breeze picking up. A little breeze is fun, you can get the Champ to hover. Towards the end it got a little gusty. I can definitely see how people can loose these planes in windy conditions. It sure wanted to go up and away. 2nd landing not as nice as the first with the wind, but it was still going so slow there was no damage.

Hopefully tonight it will die off and I can get a couple more in.

Great little plane for sure. A guy at work has a son who want to do RC, and I'm going to recommend the Champ for sure.

Well, back to the Phoenix sim to get some more flight time.

JerryT
Congratulations on a successful maiden! welcome to the addiction, see you in the 12 step program
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:08 PM
Like a Tortoise
Joined Jan 2013
144 Posts
Winter is the fun time, to read up. and when I gathered my info I will be a champaholic to. once in with the champ you are a champ for life
hare is offline Find More Posts by hare
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:50 PM
Winter is coming.
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Jan 2013
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Congratulations on a successful maiden! welcome to the addiction, see you in the 12 step program
Thanks! Lol, yeah, thats what I'm afraid of.

JerryT
JerryT87 is offline Find More Posts by JerryT87
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:33 AM
dustylover
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
I would love to see a 4-channel version of this plane (make the ailerons functional). It may have to be a little larger for it to work, but it would be so neat.
dustylover is offline Find More Posts by dustylover
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:13 AM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustylover View Post
I would love to see a 4-channel version of this plane (make the ailerons functional). It may have to be a little larger for it to work, but it would be so neat.
I think that's the idea behind the UMX Carbon Cub SS
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:38 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustylover View Post
There is a 4 chanel version of this... is called the T-28
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:20 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
I think that's the idea behind the UMX Carbon Cub SS
I agree that must have been what they had in mind for the CC but I found it to be the worst of both worlds - needed a lot more room and was difficult to handle in any kind of wind.
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:41 PM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,548 Posts
The Carbon cub does take lot more room than the Champ. I just got one and was hoping to do touch and goes on the front street but there just wasnt enough room. At least I have my trusty little Champ for those times!
jwp2 is online now Find More Posts by jwp2