SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:05 PM
Look ma, no hands!
1Pilgrim's Avatar
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidterrell80 View Post
I fly my Champ in an indoor basket ball court, at church. I take two "Post it" notes and cut away some of the paper until there is a strip, half sticky and half not. I add them to the wings as drag flaps, bending them down at a right angle to the wing. I increase the expo to soften the rudder response and add a little rudder trim once I start flying, to increase the tendency to turn in the "correct" direction. I use my lighter batteries and keep the throttle down... the little tots at church love to chase it around and around the court, like a youth soccer "herdball" match, and the moms love me for wearing the little ones out. Then, I bring out the "Dollar Tree Gliders" and we all fly... mixing in a little Christianity and moral lesson (usually about sharing planes).
Hey, that's a great idea! I'd never have thought of that - spoilers like the foamies! Will definitely give that a try! Just to get me started, where do you locate them, i.e. how far out from the wing root?

There's too much traffic for herdball - we have as many as 20 aircraft circling the court at once. I bring along my MCX2's to teach the youngsters the basics along the sidelines.
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:24 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
davidterrell80's Avatar
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,934 Posts
I put them at the root, to avoid tip-stall in turns. I've also experimented with putting them on the sides and bottom of the fuselage but with no discernible advantage.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:52 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidterrell80 View Post
I put them at the root, to avoid tip-stall in turns. I've also experimented with putting them on the sides and bottom of the fuselage but with no discernible advantage.
Gonna have to try this! Thanks.
Iplumb is offline Find More Posts by Iplumb
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:25 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2012
35 Posts
since i am a begginner i am looking for some advise about begginner aircraft i am thinking about the hobbyzone champ or the nine eagles sky eagle. which one should i get
luka.v is offline Find More Posts by luka.v
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:50 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
leethetreeguy's Avatar
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,970 Posts
Hi Luka.v, I am not familiar with the sky eagle. But the Champ is a great, and I mean, GREAT!!!, first plane. Happy Flyin
Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:21 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2012
55 Posts
Got the champ for Xmas, and I can't believe how easy it is to fly! 20 years ago I built two balsa trainers, and crashed both badly. Converted to boats.
I have been practicing on a free sims application on my iPad, and looked up some vids on YouTube . Took the plane to a local ball field, hand launched, trimmed it out per video, ( had to use pliers to adjust rudder rod), and I was flying like a pro!
I have failed at flying bigger planes, and was intimidated by local rc club, but this little guy can take a beating, and gets you ready for the bigger stuff!
My average flight time is 20 minutes on the little battery. Amazing how this hobby has advanced!
55Cobra is offline Find More Posts by 55Cobra
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:28 AM
Registered User
JLT_GTI's Avatar
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,306 Posts
Well my Orange DSM2 module arrived , i programed the Champ chanel order in er9X , binded and it works..

i guess nothing else needs to be done right?

Still i encountered a couple of issues.. the main one being the throotle doesnt start until you reach 15% of stick lenght.. i increased the trim forward and now i can make it start sooner, but that im afraid will make reach full throotle before the end of the chanel..

another option here would be using a curve since i have Er9X wich allows all that kind of stuff


another issue was that the motor stoped in midflight and now wont start... but the servos work well.. but im guessing that might be the motor wire coming off and not radio related.. (i hope)
JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:50 PM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
nightfox7's Avatar
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luka.v View Post
since i am a begginner i am looking for some advise about begginner aircraft i am thinking about the hobbyzone champ or the nine eagles sky eagle. which one should i get
hey, the champ flies much slower than the sky eagle, the champ is lighter and much better for a starter plane.
nightfox7 is online now Find More Posts by nightfox7
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:37 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
Hey, that's a great idea! I'd never have thought of that - spoilers like the foamies! Will definitely give that a try! Just to get me started, where do you locate them, i.e. how far out from the wing root?

There's too much traffic for herdball - we have as many as 20 aircraft circling the court at once. I bring along my MCX2's to teach the youngsters the basics along the sidelines.
Do you have a picture or two?
Iplumb is offline Find More Posts by Iplumb
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:51 PM
Look ma, no hands!
1Pilgrim's Avatar
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iplumb View Post
Do you have a picture or two?
Last winter I posted a few vids taken with my #16 key chain cameras, some mounted on my hat and some mounted on my SR120 heli. I'll take the cams along next time and try to get film of this year's mayhem and madness!
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:51 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidterrell80 View Post
I fly my Champ in an indoor basket ball court, at church. I take two "Post it" notes and cut away some of the paper until there is a strip, half sticky and half not. I add them to the wings as drag flaps, bending them down at a right angle to the wing. I increase the expo to soften the rudder response and add a little rudder trim once I start flying, to increase the tendency to turn in the "correct" direction. I trim to fly in a circle and correct the travel to go straight. I use my lighter batteries and keep the throttle down... the little tots at church love to chase it around and around the court, like a youth soccer "herdball" match, and the moms love me for wearing the little ones out. Then, I bring out the "Dollar Tree Gliders" and we all fly... mixing in a little Christianity and moral lesson (usually about sharing planes). I would use my Vapor but the Champ endures little-finger handling much better.
I want to try this! Do you happen to have a picture? Thanks..
Iplumb is offline Find More Posts by Iplumb
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:41 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
davidterrell80's Avatar
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,934 Posts
I'll have to take some pictures, this weekend if not before. In the meanwhile you can search for "Gurney Flap" or look at a dive bomber making a run. It's just a "Post it" paper flap folded down at 90 degrees, stuck to the underside of the wing at the trailing edge root.

Or the Moth Minor's Drag Flap
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:30 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidterrell80 View Post
I'll have to take some pictures, this weekend if not before. In the meanwhile you can search for "Gurney Flap" or look at a dive bomber making a run. It's just a "Post it" paper flap folded down at 90 degrees, stuck to the underside of the wing at the trailing edge root.

Or the Moth Minor's Drag Flap
Thanks, so one on both sides of the fuselage. Do you use the full width of the post it?
Iplumb is offline Find More Posts by Iplumb
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:46 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
davidterrell80's Avatar
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,934 Posts
I've used notes of several sizes. I find that the small ones (2x1-3/4 inch) work well without cutting. I fold the note on the edge of the glue line and stick them on. If I have the next larger size, I cut the note so the "flap area" is about the same as the adhesive area. I used to use such flaps on indoor FF... what's nice about the Champ is that, if the flap is too big, just add power. The prop slipstream will blow the flap back and become largely ineffective.

If you have doubts, cut the flap into segments and stick them to the wing a inch-or-so at a time, testing as you go..
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:05 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Cobra View Post
Got the champ for Xmas, and I can't believe how easy it is to fly! 20 years ago I built two balsa trainers, and crashed both badly. Converted to boats.
I have been practicing on a free sims application on my iPad, and looked up some vids on YouTube . Took the plane to a local ball field, hand launched, trimmed it out per video, ( had to use pliers to adjust rudder rod), and I was flying like a pro!
I have failed at flying bigger planes, and was intimidated by local rc club, but this little guy can take a beating, and gets you ready for the bigger stuff!
My average flight time is 20 minutes on the little battery. Amazing how this hobby has advanced!
I don't know if you've done it yet, but if you havn't, do what I did and upgrade the stock radio to a Spektrum DX6i.

I did this a few months ago, and was suprised that my Champ, which already flies about as perfect as can be, flew even smoother after the upgrade. Plus having the extra range the DX6i has over the stock radio is nice too, along with the ten model memory.
hlh3rd is offline Find More Posts by hlh3rd
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion What plane is this? Debolt Livewire Champ-w/short video reacher10 The Builders Workshop 48 Mar 29, 2011 03:20 PM
Discussion Super Champ Restoration x-craft Off-road Cars 48 May 25, 2010 07:48 PM
For Sale Champ (1/8th scale, electric) Maggie Han Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 12 Mar 19, 2010 08:31 PM
For Sale 2x Ni-Mh batts will fit PKZ or HBZ planes gazza1 Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 0 Sep 07, 2009 09:46 AM
Question digital camera for hbz extreme bluescoobydoo Aerial Photography 0 Jul 31, 2005 11:25 AM