HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2010, 06:45 AM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n001pa View Post
I Have run PKZ 110's as well as Turnigy 130's through mine. If you are just cruising around, which is what the champ does best IMHO, then I have found very little difference between them and the stock 150. I got almost 15 minutes just putting around at 1/4 throttle. I got about 10 minutes worth of mixed flying with the 150.
Wow 15 minutes
Is this to LVC?
Has anyone timed to see what the HZ or EF 150mah time is before LVC at full throttle?
I have been setting my timer for 9 minutes but only go full throttle for very short periods of time, I stay under ½ most of the time. Well only have 11 flights so far and loving the change of pace from helicopters. I do know two batteries are not enough.
Hellysmack is offline Find More Posts by Hellysmack
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2010, 10:11 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,568 Posts
Champ vs Cub

For those who have flown both.
Which one is your fav?
Which one would you recommend for the total noob to planes?

I have a nephew that will be learning on his own.
He is doing well on his mSR heli but really wants to get into planes.
He also has a DX6i.

Thanks,

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2010, 10:53 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Which one is your fav?

He also has a DX6i.

Thanks,

rc
I don't have a champ but do have a cub. For a total noob the champ is better.

The cub has some bad tip stall characteristics vs the old Citabria and Cessna and the motor is completely maxed out with no swap in upgrade available.

Flying the cub is still fun and it does way better in wind than the Cessna/citabria, but I wish it had an 8.4mm motor. It zoom climbs 30 ft, then runs out of oomph.

The champ is cheaper and has a Sukhoi motor stock, so a Mustang motor will allow it climb like a bat out of heck.. And with a bigger wing, it should convert to 4 Channels easier (it will take the weight)
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old May 16, 2010, 11:01 AM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,097 Posts
Certainly the Champ. I have had NO catastrophic crashes like with the Cub.
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Old May 16, 2010, 11:10 AM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
I got to see the Champ at an indoor fly in this weekend. Champ is really nice. Will land on it's own without any stick input. It is setup for the longer micro batteries.
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old May 16, 2010, 11:52 AM
Wichita, Ks.
Joined Feb 2004
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellysmack View Post
Wow 15 minutes
Is this to LVC?
Has anyone timed to see what the HZ or EF 150mah time is before LVC at full throttle?
I have been setting my timer for 9 minutes but only go full throttle for very short periods of time, I stay under ½ most of the time. Well only have 11 flights so far and loving the change of pace from helicopters. I do know two batteries are not enough.
I did hit the LVC with that flight. I really need to time my flights so that doen't happen all the time.
n001pa is offline Find More Posts by n001pa
Old May 16, 2010, 12:01 PM
Wichita, Ks.
Joined Feb 2004
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Which one is your fav?

He also has a DX6i.

Thanks,

rc
I don't have the Cub but, from what I have read, the Champ will be better for learning. It is also much tougher than you might think. I was flying my Sukhoi and lost control of it while landing in a crosswind. I ended up hitting my brother, who was flying the Champ at the time, and it caused him to stall it and do a perfect one point landing from about 10 to 15 feet high. A slight nick in the cowl was the only damage. It should be able to survive most bumps and bruises that a beginer will through at it.
n001pa is offline Find More Posts by n001pa
Old May 16, 2010, 12:37 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
I haven't flown mine yet but I thought I better share the dream that I had last night with you guys... So, I was dreaming about flying planes I guess and all of a sudden the wind died down enough to fly the champ so I plugged the battery in and gave it a toss. A few seconds later I realized that I had thrown the controller instead of the plane and it was flying because I was moving the control surfaces on the plane and it made the controller fly. Funny :-) I woke up thinking that I should call Horizon and tell them that this plane is so light that even the controller can fly!
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old May 16, 2010, 12:38 PM
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,704 Posts
SO, why did Horizon choose the particular registration they did? The full scale aircraft with this registration was a Bell 206 helicopter that crashed in 1997.
I plan to try to add some scale details to my plane (wing struts, landing gear shock-bungees, tailplane braces) and try to replace the registration with something more appropriate.
Dave
SumthinsFishy is offline Find More Posts by SumthinsFishy
Old May 16, 2010, 12:46 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,712 Posts
I think it's a bit more obvious than you think

G-FLYR

G FLYER

GOOD FLYER?

GARDEN FLYER?
Bowerz is online now Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old May 16, 2010, 12:51 PM
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post
I think it's a bit more obvious than you think

G-FLYR

G FLYER

GOOD FLYER?

GARDEN FLYER?
I figure something along those lines too...
But a crashed helicopter!?

Dave
SumthinsFishy is offline Find More Posts by SumthinsFishy
Old May 16, 2010, 12:55 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,712 Posts
I bet they thought it wasn't even registered! Or thought that no-one would really look into it, so think again Horizon and take note for the future
Bowerz is online now Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old May 16, 2010, 01:55 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n001pa View Post
I don't have the Cub but, from what I have read, the Champ will be better for learning. It is also much tougher than you might think. I was flying my Sukhoi and lost control of it while landing in a crosswind. I ended up hitting my brother, who was flying the Champ at the time, and it caused him to stall it and do a perfect one point landing from about 10 to 15 feet high. A slight nick in the cowl was the only damage. It should be able to survive most bumps and bruises that a beginer will through at it.
Yes
I don’t have the Cub, but in a large field I would rather hand the controller to a kid than the Airplane!
If the Champ is damaged it is more likely do to handling than flying, biggest fear would be not getting it stuck in a tree but the damage from throwing things at it to get it down.
• Stepping on it,
• Flying to high out of site or range,
• High wind runaway
• TX coming loose while it is in box, that is getting carried
• A dog grabbing it and running away with it.
• Run over by car
• Wife braking it because she is jealous
It really is supper stable and stress free, hands off flight like it is on auto pilot, drop throttle to land.

A direct dive into cement or a pond would most likely be close to the same as the CUB
Old May 16, 2010, 02:15 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,070 Posts
The other morning the dew was still on the grass, set box on grass not thinking, of course cardboard acts like a sponge so after I got it dried out I give the box a clear coat spray paint. Worked good now water beads off.

Why am I on the computer?
Got home put batteries on charge
Fixed lunched in a hurry, just in time for charged batteries
Opened door RAINING!
Old May 16, 2010, 02:29 PM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post