Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:26 AM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcow007 View Post
fantastico, just received a comfirmation the transmitter will be here tomorrow woohoo!

question

im flying with a way larger battery than stock, one of these but because of the width of the battery i have had to remove the plastic mount for the undercarriage

i would really love to perform some touch an go's but without wheels this may be difficult

is anyone else using this battery if so how did you get around the size issue?

thanks
I cut a piece of foam that fit into the battery slot and tapped it to the battery. then I put velcro on it and stuck it on. No need to modify or remove the landing gear.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:18 AM
RC addict? I'm not addicted...
Danmark, Midtjylland, Roslev
Joined Jul 2011
1,085 Posts
Captn try Hobbyking.com
Nighthawk74 is online now Find More Posts by Nighthawk74
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blade 300 X n00biness
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:28 AM
Joined Jun 2012
37 Posts
Been lurking on this thread for quite a while and figured I should come out from the shadows. I've learned a lot here and appreciate all those who have contributed.

I'm totally new to RC and made the mistake of not starting with the Champ. Finally wised up and haven't looked back. I now have two of them. After I picked up a UM T-28 I passed Champ #1 on to my dad as he wanted to try RC but I missed my Champ so I bought another one

I finally upgraded my TX to a DX6i and flew the Champ on it for the first time this morning. Wow! What a difference. There was no wind and once I got her trimmed out it was so much fun. Flew like it was on rails and looked very scale as I lapped the field (except the couple of loops I did ). Here's hoping the wind dies down tonight for some more fun.
BlacksheepVMF214 is offline Find More Posts by BlacksheepVMF214
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:22 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
With a better TX, you can increase the Elevator and Rudder throws (by moving the pushrods closer to the control surface on the control horn), so the Champ is more aerobatic, but since the TX has so much better resolution, it still flies smoother.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:31 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacksheepVMF214 View Post
I'm totally new to RC and made the mistake of not starting with the Champ. Finally wised up and haven't looked back. I now have two of them.
Congrats on your entre into RC, and good choice with the Champ. Incredibly good plane, right out of the box. I'm on my second, lost the first to pilot stupidity....flew it so far out (about 2 acres away) that I lost orientation, not signal. So, Champ #2 now in service, full time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep
....upgraded my TX to a DX6i and flew the Champ on it for the first time this morning. Wow! What a difference.
Yup, and a good move. Congrats again. The DX6i is the basic transmitter for all of my DSM2 compatible micro flyers. Just added the UMX MiG 15. Wow, what a hoot, and smooth as glass, courtesy of the better stick resolution of the DX6i and the built in AS3X stabilization.

Good luck with your micro flyer experience(s). You have a very good foundation on which to build and fly a micro fleet. Just note, them little buggers are addictive as all get out!!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; Jul 26, 2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:00 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Hey for those of you that have attached a mini keychain cam to your champ, do you guys know what the size of the video file is? Im thinking of getting one with a 2GB SD card and would like to know if that is enough space for one or two videos at a time....looking to do some aerial photography with my champ.
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:21 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
Hey for those of you that have attached a mini keychain cam to your champ, do you guys know what the size of the video file is? Im thinking of getting one with a 2GB SD card and would like to know if that is enough space for one or two videos at a time....looking to do some aerial photography with my champ.
Here's an excellent reference: http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2011/2/...ra-11-808.html

If you've got one that's compatible, an 808 #11 look there for firmware modifications to turn timestamp on/off, and enable/disable '20 minute time limit.'

Or check his other vids for other possible cam versions.

Here's a snippet: A 4GB file will be contain either 50 or 75 mins of video dependent on the bitrate that your camera records at (there are two versions of the camera, one that records at 7000kbps and one at 10000kbps the video quality is indistinguishable between them). As the battery life of this camera is approx 45 min, in normal use the camera will record one file until the battery dies.
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Okay thanks. I dont really want to mess with the firmware, i just want to make sure i will have enough for maybe one or two videos that are at most, 6-8 minutes long. I think i should have enough with a 2GB.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:46 AM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jul 2006
177 Posts
morning all

well i took the plunge yesterday an bought my self a DX6i TX, all excited i coudlnt wait to get home from work.

bound the plane checked flight battery was charged...

check control surfaces

and

tally ho chocks away

fantastic flight the best i have ever had (ive been flying it since january) my champ seems so much more responsive an with a waaaaaay better range than the standard tx

she is currently flying with the micro 'stang motor GWS 5043 an a 500mah battery

she rocks!
mudcow007 is offline Find More Posts by mudcow007
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:36 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,482 Posts
Quote:
Here is an excellent source of info for the 808 #16 right here on RCG.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...56994&page=480

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Oh okay cool thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:55 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Okay thanks. I dont really want to mess with the firmware, i just want to make sure i will have enough for maybe one or two videos that are at most, 6-8 minutes long. I think i should have enough with a 2GB.
Why not just get a bigger card? I paid $7 for my 8gb class 4, and that way I am 100% sure I don't miss anything.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:45 PM
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Jun 2011
92 Posts
I own a Champ and also a DX5e TX. The Champ was and is my first and only RC plane. I think I am going to move up to the PZ T-28 Trojan. The way my transmitter is set up is the throttle is on the left stick and elevator and rudder is on the right stick. Once I get a plane with ailerons, will they be controlled by the left stick along with the throttle? or will they be on the right stick where the rudder control is now? Reason I am asking is I have the FRS sim and wondering how to set up the Sim TX. I have the T-28 model and wanted to get some sim time while I am waiting to get the T-28. Thanks and not getting rid of the Champ. It's too much fun!
257Roberts is offline Find More Posts by 257Roberts
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:52 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,911 Posts
The Champ's brick receives it's "rudder" commands on the (mode 2 right stick) aileron channel... they are actually aileron commands, the aileron servo is physically connected to a rudder... which can be confusing until you understand why it would be set up this way... it's not really a "normal" setup but it's typical of 3-channel planes and helis and makes sense for this application.

so, for your (mode 2) 4-channel birds, like your T-28... rudder on the left, aileron on the right.
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Jul 26, 2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:55 PM
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Jun 2011
92 Posts
North, thanks for the info. That seems logical, since I guess you move the ailerons more than the rudder? I think I may be able to fly the sim now.
257Roberts is offline Find More Posts by 257Roberts