Old May 23, 2012, 02:55 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewwrx View Post
Thanks Thumper!
No problem, I am no expert but will pass on a opinion or what has worked for me.
I have 12 planes and one of the best is my Champ. I have much larger and much much faster but she is one of my favorites.

I have family in Dover AFB, are you close to there?
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2012, 03:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Keep in mind after a number of uses you may want to find a better solution to secure a battery. stronger velcro. or tape.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 23, 2012, 05:01 PM
Ain't Nothing but a Peanut
Lewes, DE
Joined Mar 2010
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTF Thumper View Post
No problem, I am no expert but will pass on a opinion or what has worked for me.
I have 12 planes and one of the best is my Champ. I have much larger and much much faster but she is one of my favorites.

I have family in Dover AFB, are you close to there?
I live in Lewes and can get to Dover AFB in about 40 minutes. I just drove past the base yesterday to get to Philly. My dad is retired Coast Guard so we have gone to some of the stores on base a few times. They have some huge C5 transport aircraft!
drewwrx is offline Find More Posts by drewwrx
Old May 23, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined Feb 2012
486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewwrx View Post
I got two new batteries for my Champ (Thunder Power 160 & Hyperion 160) and had a few questions.

1. Does the battery velcro strip go all the way on the back edge of the battery? I am using the extra strips of battery velcro that came with the Champ.

2. Does the battery go all the way forward towards the prop side of the Champ?

Thanks,
Drew
It may be that I'm the only one that does this - no velcro on the battery - just keep it in place with a rubber band. That way it can be moved to any position easily including far forward beyond the battery cutout if need be for wind penetration. It never moves or falls off. When the plane's in flight no one sees the rubber band.
midnite is offline Find More Posts by midnite
Old May 23, 2012, 09:10 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,671 Posts
Nope, I do that too. haha. Great minds and all. Happy Flyin.
Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old May 23, 2012, 09:52 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite View Post
It may be that I'm the only one that does this - no velcro on the battery - just keep it in place with a rubber band. That way it can be moved to any position easily including far forward beyond the battery cutout if need be for wind penetration. It never moves or falls off. When the plane's in flight no one sees the rubber band.
I also use the rubber band method. Too many times I have had the battery dangling from it's wires after a rough touch and go She flys really strange with variable CG. I also added the foam cut out, mine won't glide right without a tad more forward CG even with the stock battery.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old May 24, 2012, 04:40 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
I do a few methods. And now I wonder if a thicker band today can be found. I find that bands dry out super fast tehy get brittle. not like they used to?

I fill in the batt area. I do not cut out the batt area anymore. and I only use a 500 mah batt for now on.

If I find a sweet spot, I may just leave it there and not remove the battery at all. charge it on the plane and back in the box. When a lipo needs to be protected, I believe the box does that, b/c look at all those stock planes wit hteh batts in storage. at HH?
Old May 24, 2012, 09:18 AM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
I do a few methods. And now I wonder if a thicker band today can be found. I find that bands dry out super fast tehy get brittle. not like they used to?

I fill in the batt area. I do not cut out the batt area anymore. and I only use a 500 mah batt for now on.

If I find a sweet spot, I may just leave it there and not remove the battery at all. charge it on the plane and back in the box. When a lipo needs to be protected, I believe the box does that, b/c look at all those stock planes wit hteh batts in storage. at HH?
Fish you be careful, I watched a stock battery puff up and go into thermal run away in a Shwan Tin Notsogood had two months ago. We had just finished doing the Champ swarm Video he took the battery off the plane and put in a new one ten minutes later we hear it off gasing in the tin. If that had been in his box or plane it would have been a fire. Please NEVER charge the battery in the plane or box. If you do set it outside so that the plane and box is the only thing that catches fire.
Old May 24, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined Feb 2012
486 Posts
I started using rubber bands to hold the batteries on the J-3 because it needs more nose weight. That avoided adding extra weight. The battery is on an angle resting over the forward edge of the battery recess but it still remains in place. No velcro is ever glued onto the batteries anymore. Velcro was never a suitable solution for these micros anyway. It either didn't hold well or made it difficult to remove the battery. The worst one for that is the Beast - velcro makes it difficult to slide the battery in or take it out - rubber bands can't be used for it - must be solution for that.

It works well on the Champ too but the Champ doesn't need any more nose weight. There's really no need to fill the cutout for wider batteries. They can just straddle the gap. The band band will hold them tight.
midnite is offline Find More Posts by midnite
Old May 24, 2012, 03:17 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
so after I charge my battery it is okay to keep in the box? If I get a kit and it has the battery in the box, would the box say Do not store lipos in a box Please put in a lipo bag.

this is something maybe HH should now think of put a lip bag in the kits?

How I said it I sounded wrong mybad
Old May 24, 2012, 05:12 PM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
so after I charge my battery it is okay to keep in the box? If I get a kit and it has the battery in the box, would the box say Do not store lipos in a box Please put in a lipo bag.

this is something maybe HH should now think of put a lip bag in the kits?

How I said it I sounded wrong mybad
After Boomsplat had his big 3 s battery go into flames and Notsogood losing one in the Tin I won't. The lipos come with a storage charge 70 % we take them on up to 100%. My Lipos are never stored in anything but a Metal Ammo Box and charged in a square Glass vase. Also remember the batteries do go through abuse when we use them from impacts to improper disconnect. So after a bit of time the built in safety features of a battery may become compromised.
But hey manage your risk the best you see fit. I may be a little over concerned
Old May 24, 2012, 05:51 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
box does not say anything about a lipo on the box. it says in the state of California chemicals in teh kit may cause cancer..
again you missed the point.

Storing a lipo is not on the box but posably in the istructions saying may cause heat, fire etc... read instructions.......

never mind I store mine safely to. in a rc case now a precision tool box insullated and metal/ batts in a tin case inside the rc tin case.
Old May 24, 2012, 08:52 PM
United States, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Sep 2011
63 Posts
its always nice to come here!! i was going to ask about batteries and you already are talking about that!! i may get a 500 mah for extended flights like fishy!
minchomexa is offline Find More Posts by minchomexa
Old May 24, 2012, 09:29 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,671 Posts
Have some extra motors in stock.
Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old May 25, 2012, 01:33 AM
RC addict? I'm not addicted...
Danmark, Midtjylland, Roslev
Joined Jul 2011
1,032 Posts
Yes indeed. Gears without motors are good too Ebay'd.

Lipos:
Fishy, I agree with Jim on this. Safety first. Just because Horizon and others don't keep lipos in safe storage doesn't mean, we should'nt. I have mine stored in a large lipo bag and have a smaller one with me at the field. Charge them on a ceramic plate. This is not a criticism. Just saying that lipo fires are real, even if we treat them carefully, stuff can happen.

Have a nice day

/NH
Nighthawk74 is offline Find More Posts by Nighthawk74
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dualsky Hornet 460