SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Mudd.....

when thechamp cuts out is it just whenever, or when you give thr.

I found if I gave lets say 70% thr, Iget cut out. once I cut back to 60% perfect. the motor was replaced no more cut out.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:04 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
Fishy: thanks for the clarification. All this time I thought it was the Dutch Roll!

RD

Gotta love the Crusader

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:21 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,944 Posts
Champ Dies for No Good Reason

I have also had mine die on me and tonight was a perfect example. I started flying and after only a minute or two, it just stopped and glided down. The battery is fairly new and fully charged, so, let's try again. It did the same thing - it died after about a minute or two. After that, I swear I flew for a good 10 minutes without a problem again. I've had mine for about a year and a half and it does this quite often. No, fishy, it wasn't being given throttle, it was just flying along at about 1/3 throttle - in the middle of things.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:22 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Have you gotten the champ leveled.
Nope. I treat my Champ #2 with TLC. Did the same with Champ #1, but it still flew away, almost one year ago.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:12 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Dam more I hear these stories, More HH should be told. As well. maybe comensation or a discount in the near future???
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:23 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Discount on a replacement plane? I could go that!

Champ #1's loss was not HH's fault, pure pilot error....got her WAY out there too far, about 800+ feet, and could not tell if I was coming or going. Standard figure 8 procedure to reestablish orientation didn't help all that much as Champ #1 went flying behind some very tall trees and I flat out lost her. S&R turned up nothing. Even placed "Lost" posters in mailboxes all around the area. No dice. So, Champ #2 now the official replacement. First and only plane to date that has been "completely" lost.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:22 PM
Never stop being a kid.
United States, CO, Manitou Springs
Joined Jan 2012
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
Standard figure 8 procedure to reestablish orientation...
I did a quick search, and didn't find any references to this, but it seems a little complicated. Having lost orientation at great distances a couple times recently (caught in a strong wind combined with strong thermal or upslope lift), I would like to know more about this.

It seems to me that trying to execute and interpret the motion of a consistent figure-8 pattern when you've lost orientation due to distance could be difficult.

Right offhand, I'm thinking it would be easier to fly a consistent, large, right-hand circle, and when the plane reaches the extreme right end of its visible lateral motion (or left end of a left-hand circle), it's headed toward you.

In the two cases mentioned above, I just got a little lucky, and was able to tell when I had it headed back toward me without consciously analyzing the control response.

I'd be interested in hearing how other experienced pilots handle this.
BrundleFlyBy is offline Find More Posts by BrundleFlyBy
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:40 PM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,593 Posts
I like to fly in a small circle with no throttle and a bit of down elevator till I gain orientation.
jwp2 is online now Find More Posts by jwp2
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:19 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
I know this has been addressed before, but besides Center of Gravity, always check to be sure your prop angle is slightly to the right and cocked downward a couple degrees.
I made the mistake of straightening my prop when I replaced the motor with a T-28 motor: and the results caused dolphin dipping and erratic flight.

Now I actually add some exaggerated right and down tilt and like the way it responds to it.

I've been flying the big Airfield Cessna 182 (55") and Dynam T-28 too much and need to get back to some relaxing Champin'.

Mac
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:56 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
I know this has been addressed before, but besides Center of Gravity, always check to be sure your prop angle is slightly to the right and cocked downward a couple degrees.
I made the mistake of straightening my prop when I replaced the motor with a T-28 motor: and the results caused dolphin dipping and erratic flight.

Now I actually add some exaggerated right and down tilt and like the way it responds to it.

I've been flying the big Airfield Cessna 182 (55") and Dynam T-28 too much and need to get back to some relaxing Champin'.

Mac
Get a Fun Cub brother, lol
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:47 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrundleFlyBy View Post
It seems to me that trying to execute and interpret the motion of a consistent figure-8 pattern when you've lost orientation due to distance could be difficult. ..., I'm thinking it would be easier to fly a consistent, large, right-hand circle, and when the plane reaches the extreme right end of its visible lateral motion (or left end of a left-hand circle), it's headed toward you. .
I was doing the right hand turn technique, as part of a figure 8 pattern, and then "lost" it. Your procedure, as described, would be best.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:27 PM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
For what its worth, a figure eight is the best pattern to fly to develop muscle memory and learn orientation. If you get disoriented cut the power and stop messing with her take a 600 foot walk of reflection and go again. To continue to fly disoriented will and usually does result in less than desirable results.
This advice was given to me a year ago, so I will pass it on. These are the six rules to sucsess
1. WIND= needs to be calm
2. Orientation= fly figure eights both directions
3. Over Control = Fy with small gental inputs
4. Preflight Check= Look at it all from batterys to prop condition, and location of area you intend to fly
5. Altitude= Two mistakes high for a champ about 40 feet
6. Speed = keep it slow so you can correct a negative input
Please Check my blog I have a ton of great info
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:54 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,062 Posts
Haha, I remember that video Big Jim. Whoopas!!!!
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:00 PM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Thanks Lee that was the first time I put myself in a vid, should I post it again?
Check this out ......If you love micros this is a must see
Champ Swarm (6 min 34 sec)
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:14 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
great advice Big Jim

Fly her like you stole her. nah on a good note this is a learnig Plane learn everything you can, to advance to bigger and better things trust me, I learned a lot from all, here. next step ............