SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 17, 2012, 03:41 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
596 Posts
thanks yea i was hoping that i can just float it onto the grass and not hurt anything thanks..
ITS ME DAVID is offline Find More Posts by ITS ME DAVID
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:08 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITS ME DAVID View Post
Thanks for the info can the champ lad on grass like a glider can or will it break easily I want to fly it at the Rosebowl that's why.
get Lagerwheels, or advance to the Electrifly Flylite
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:56 AM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
Yeah, I thought so. But how many cycles will the new batteries last? On my bigger planes that use 1350-2200mah the batteries are a year old and cycled probably 50 times. Should I be worried? I have a pretty decent Common Sense charger for those. I read that even these little battery chargers charge at too high a rate.
Yes, the 160mah batteries should be charged at .16A (or less) but the little charger that comes with the Champ charges at .3A So sometimes I use a HK pigtail with my good charger that lets me parallel charge up to 6 of the batteries at the rate of around .16A per battery. Sometimes I only have 2 batteries on it charging at .3A but it's better for them I think.

BTW, MyRCMart has some interesting adapters that will balance charge either 2 or 3 UM batteries, which is even better than parallel charging.. I bought some but have not used them yet.
GooberSB is offline Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:33 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITS ME DAVID View Post
^ dang that thing is fast.

Hey guys I'm new to airplanes been using the little 3-4ch heli and want a micro 3ch rtf and seen this champ and read atleast 30-40 pages but I'm debating on this airplane the champ vs the cox skycruiser ? Anyone tried both yet. http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/cox/coxa6503.html
I have both Cox sky cruiser and HBZ Champ. I got my first plane (sky cruiser) 5 months ago and Champ 2 months ago, so I'm some what new to flying RC plane and here's my beginer's opinion.
I find that the EPO foam used on the SC is stronger and I didn't sustain much damage than the somewhat fragile Champ (espeically the tail). Although Champ is flewn at slower speed most time so crashes on the champ seem to be less severe. I used extra duty packing tape to tape the entire SC and have not sustained any damage since. It was able to carry the extra weight and take on the wind and fly quite fast. No problem climbing either.
The Champ electronics are much more robust. SC brick gets quite hot and many of us (in SC or Nine Eagles sky runner thread) have had some problem with the servo not being responsive when over heated which leads to losing control and crash. I never experience this with the Champ. SC also tends to nose dip during lauch (even when COG was set correctly). IMO, for the first plane for beginer, I would recommed the Champ over the SC. It flies slower, and a much more stable platform. Both planes can be upgraded but there are a lot more support and ideas (from this forum) to optimize your Champ than SC.
SC set up - just tape with extra duty packing tape on the entire fuselage, 350mA 2S battery, a quater under the nose to get COG right - there is not much space left for larger batt unless you move the brick, etc.
Champ set up - tape entire tail with packing tape, dime and nickel under the nose, P51 motor, 5043 prop, waiting for my 190mA miniaviation batt to arrive.
ccsj is online now Find More Posts by ccsj
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:01 PM
TjW
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2006
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
Yeah, I thought so. But how many cycles will the new batteries last? On my bigger planes that use 1350-2200mah the batteries are a year old and cycled probably 50 times. Should I be worried? I have a pretty decent Common Sense charger for those. I read that even these little battery chargers charge at too high a rate.
Meh. Bite the bullet and spend the forty bucks or so to buy five MiniAviation 190s
or Hyperion cells. You'll never look back. To be honest, I don't have the 190s. I have the earlier 180s from quite awhile back, and they're still great batteries.
TjW is offline Find More Posts by TjW
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:49 AM
Joined Apr 2012
85 Posts
I'm sorry if I was supposed to start a new thread to ask this but I thought this thread would be a good place to ask. My Champ just refuses to fly straight or even. No matter how much I trim either the elevator or rudder and even with proper throttle modulation, she won't stay steady! She constantly pulls to the right ever so slightly and rather than flying at a constant elevation it does a weird dolphin bob through the air, up and down, up and down. It does this whether I am at full throttle or just gliding and no matter which direction I trim the elevator. Can anyone offer advice?
stevenator128 is offline Find More Posts by stevenator128
Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:28 AM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jul 2006
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenator128 View Post
I'm sorry if I was supposed to start a new thread to ask this but I thought this thread would be a good place to ask. My Champ just refuses to fly straight or even. No matter how much I trim either the elevator or rudder and even with proper throttle modulation, she won't stay steady! She constantly pulls to the right ever so slightly and rather than flying at a constant elevation it does a weird dolphin bob through the air, up and down, up and down. It does this whether I am at full throttle or just gliding and no matter which direction I trim the elevator. Can anyone offer advice?
check the CoG (center of gravity) i "think" its suppose to be 28mm from the leading edge of the main wing

if the CoG is off the plane will either be nose heavy an will want dive all the time or tail heavy where it will want to climb

also check your tail hasnt been damaged an is totally straight, where the servos connect to the control surfaces there are small metal "hoops" that you can adjust to make changes to the elevator/ tail

happy flying!
mudcow007 is offline Find More Posts by mudcow007
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:14 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenator128 View Post
added info tlo Mudd's comment...

the tail rudder ifall trim is centered, and metal hook bent. and you checked for 90 degrees. you got a crack on the rudder's foam.

option to replace rudder. or repair with a plastic container, cutting a bigger retagular or square slipping over rudder hurns, glueing . or adding just glue.

the dolphan dance is your CD. add weight of any sort. like a coin dime, nickle, quater, till you get it gone. also makesure the battery id far foward. once you found the sweet spot mark it.

we ll been there, done that.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:36 AM
RC addict? I'm not addicted...
Danmark, Midtjylland, Roslev
Joined Jul 2011
1,091 Posts
Just adding to Mudd and Fishy's advice. Could be you need some control surface adjustments. Just jump a minute into this clip, and the horizon guy will guide you

HobbyZone Champ Trim Tips (1 min 37 sec)
Nighthawk74 is offline Find More Posts by Nighthawk74
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blade 300 X n00biness
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:25 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
thanks NH74

take steps. something you are overlooking I bet
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:55 PM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,587 Posts
I finally got to get out and do some touch-n-goes with the Champ. It sure is nice to be able to just step outside your door and theres a runway. Others might refer to it as a street!
jwp2 is online now Find More Posts by jwp2
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:41 AM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jul 2006
177 Posts
fantastic flight last night

well besides my champ still cutting out

very little wind, its the first time i have flown in totally flat calm conditions, so now i see what you all mean when you say the Champ flies its self

fantastic

unfortunately, there was too little light for my 808 camera
mudcow007 is offline Find More Posts by mudcow007
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:12 AM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,587 Posts
Hopefully some new batteries will help with the cutting out.
jwp2 is online now Find More Posts by jwp2
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:35 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
the dolphan dance is your CD. add weight of any sort. like a coin dime, nickle, quater, till you get it gone. also makesure the battery id far foward. once you found the sweet spot mark it.
Fishy: thanks for the clarification. All this time I thought it was the Dutch Roll!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
Fishy: thanks for the clarification. All this time I thought it was the Dutch Roll!

RD
swiss rolls oh my favorites, never had a dutch roll though Lol

Have you gotten the champ leveled.