SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:05 PM
Joined Feb 2012
488 Posts
My Champ and the Champ of a friend both lose power occasionally for no apparent reason. My UM J3 which uses the same transmitter has never lost power.
The power loss can last for a few seconds and return on its own for also no apparent reason or sometimes reducing throttle and reapplying will resume power - that is a sign of a brownout but the brown out may not be due to the transmitter.
Personally, I believe the Champ has a defective "brick".
midnite is offline Find More Posts by midnite
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:15 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
It could be a bad solder joint in the power wire or motor plug, too.

I've had over 30 HH micros and have seen this many times. The Rate of bad RTF TX's is pretty high, too. Probably higher than "mystery" intermitant problems with bricks.

It could also be from a high resistance solder joint that triggers a LVC at higher amps, but is OK at lower amps (on the board or at the motor plug).

Replacing the motor helped most, but a few needed the board resoldered.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:10 AM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jul 2006
177 Posts
ahh so im not alone in the "losing signal issue"

cool!

well im hoping to get my champ packed up an sent to Horizon - UK today so fingers crossed they will let me know

thanks all
mudcow007 is offline Find More Posts by mudcow007
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:09 PM
COPENHAGEN DENMARK
Joined Aug 2007
322 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3376

Take a look of a MONSTER CHAMP

John
johnkielsen is online now Find More Posts by johnkielsen
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:01 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
596 Posts
^ dang that thing is fast.

Hey guys I'm new to airplanes been using the little 3-4ch heli and want a micro 3ch rtf and seen this champ and read atleast 30-40 pages but I'm debating on this airplane the champ vs the cox skycruiser ? Anyone tried both yet. http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/cox/coxa6503.html
ITS ME DAVID is offline Find More Posts by ITS ME DAVID
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:25 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITS ME DAVID View Post
^ dang that thing is fast.

Hey guys I'm new to airplanes been using the little 3-4ch heli and want a micro 3ch rtf and seen this champ and read atleast 30-40 pages but I'm debating on this airplane the champ vs the cox skycruiser ? Anyone tried both yet. http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/cox/coxa6503.html
The Cox skycruiser is a toy with a toy TX. The Champ is a real airplane you can fly with a real TX that has components you can scratch build your own micro planes.

I have flown almost all of the micro planes and the Champ is one of the best flying planes ever built.

I've handed the Champ TX to 8 year olds and they have flown it fine and move the pushrods in on the control horns and its a ton of fun for an experienced pilot.

Who flies around the goal posts, anyway? Can't they see their is 300+ X 100 ft of clear field right next to the goal posts?

The champ also teachs you how to land and take off. I'm not sure a sky cruiser is capable of that.
Last edited by UNGN; Apr 16, 2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:28 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,585 Posts
I picked up my Champ on March 2 and the stock Horizon battery is already not taking a charge. It's been used maybe 10 times. Looks a little puffed compared to the new 150 eflite I got Friday. Is this normal? Not the puffy part, but the ten flights and there done part. I normally leave the lipos uncharged for storage, but maybe I drained this one too much.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:34 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
I picked up my Champ on March 2 and the stock Horizon battery is already not taking a charge. It's been used maybe 10 times. Looks a little puffed compared to the new 150 eflite I got Friday. Is this normal? Not the puffy part, but the ten flights and there done part. I normally leave the lipos uncharged for storage, but maybe I drained this one too much.
unless its a new 25C battery, its likely over a year old (even though you bought it March 2)
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:45 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,585 Posts
Yeah, I thought so. But how many cycles will the new batteries last? On my bigger planes that use 1350-2200mah the batteries are a year old and cycled probably 50 times. Should I be worried? I have a pretty decent Common Sense charger for those. I read that even these little battery chargers charge at too high a rate.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:49 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkielsen View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3376

Take a look of a MONSTER CHAMP

John
I had no idea you could hot rod a Champ that much! He has good flying skills too. I just can't believe the wings don't come off.
whirlcap is online now Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:52 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I thought so. But how many cycles will the new batteries last? On my bigger planes that use 1350-2200mah the batteries are a year old and cycled probably 50 times. Should I be worried? I have a pretty decent Common Sense charger for those. I read that even these little battery chargers charge at too high a rate.
I buy store return planes from hobb-e-mart and have acquired many of the E-flite 150's. None of them has ever worked. They are crap.

Hopefully the 25C ones are much better.

Just buy 6 - 10 160 nanotechs from HK every 6 months. They are great batteries and if you kill one, its less than $1.50, so its no big deal.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:03 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,188 Posts
Quote:
Yes, it is normal. Some older or newer cells fail sometimes.
I have had all makes come up defective early.
If you land at the first sign of pulse or power loss, you are probably ok..
If one runs the battery low, then forgets to unplug, I think it could really run down the cell and damage it.
MikeRx is online now Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:14 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,585 Posts
I never had a pulse or brownout with the plane so I will assume that the batteries are crap. Probably the reason Horizon discontinued them. Flew the Champ on the new batteries with 25c, but I was way more conservative on the flight time. ten minutes mix throttle. Old battery was like 15.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:45 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
The Cox skycruiser is a toy with a toy TX. The Champ is a real airplane you can fly with a real TX that has components you can scratch build your own micro planes.

I have flown almost all of the micro planes and the Champ is one of the best flying planes ever built.

I've handed the Champ TX to 8 year olds and they have flown it fine and move the pushrods in on the control horns and its a ton of fun for an experienced pilot.

Who flies around the goal posts, anyway? Can't they see their is 300+ X 100 ft of clear field right next to the goal posts?

The champ also teachs you how to land and take off. I'm not sure a sky cruiser is capable of that.
Thanks for the info can the champ lad on grass like a glider can or will it break easily I want to fly it at the Rosebowl that's why.
ITS ME DAVID is offline Find More Posts by ITS ME DAVID
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:57 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,585 Posts
David, I fly at the Rosebowl and the Champ will probably nose over in any grass that is over an inch tall. It flies so dainty like that it won't really hurt it though.