HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:10 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Hello John, my name is Eric and I am also a Champaholic. I've never felt more comfortable than I do in a "room" full of people with the same disease. I think this is where the similairities end, as the only cure for Champaholism is more Champ, I don't think that works with other -isms

So I took her back out after sundown, and had my first successful ROG and pavement landing, but it was just a little bit too late and it started getting dark and shadowy plus the winds were still a little gusty and I wasn't willing to smash it into the pavement so it was a quick 2 minute flight.

She also took her first bit of damage, I didn't realize my second battery didn't come pre-installed with velcro like the first one and I didn't have any with me so I had two choices: know that I'll rip some paint off and just tape the battery in, or just go home. Paint is replaceable, but I could die in my sleep tonight and never get to fly again

Quick (rhetorical) question: why the hell is there no fail-safe built in to cut throttle with loss of signal? Seems to be the reason champs get lost.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Last edited by skitchen8; Mar 21, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Apr 2007
7 Posts
My Champ's rudder stopped working today. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem before?

So here I am consulting the Champ master mechanics of this thread.

The servo doesn't even move, twitch, or make any noise whatsoever. So I don't think there is debris in there. It stopped working in flight. Move the stick left or right, nothing, no noise, nada.

Tomorrow I will cut her open and see what's going on in there. Just thought I would get ahead start.

Hope it's not the receiver but my guess is the..........receiver. Just heard my wallet groan. Thanks for any input.
Ryan7807 is offline Find More Posts by Ryan7807
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:58 PM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchen8 View Post
Hello John, my name is Eric and I am also a Champaholic. I've never felt more comfortable than I do in a "room" full of people with the same disease. I think this is where the similairities end, as the only cure for Champaholism is more Champ, I don't think that works with other -isms

So I took her back out after sundown, and had my first successful ROG and pavement landing, but it was just a little bit too late and it started getting dark and shadowy plus the winds were still a little gusty and I wasn't willing to smash it into the pavement so it was a quick 2 minute flight.

She also took her first bit of damage, I didn't realize my second battery didn't come pre-installed with velcro like the first one and I didn't have any with me so I had two choices: know that I'll rip some paint off and just tape the battery in, or just go home. Paint is replaceable, but I could die in my sleep tonight and never get to fly again

Quick (rhetorical) question: why the hell is there no fail-safe built in to cut throttle with loss of signal? Seems to be the reason champs get lost.
You are hilarious! I dont know why there not throttle cutoff if range is lost. My guess is it would make it more expensive.
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:00 PM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan7807 View Post
My Champ's rudder stopped working today. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem before?

So here I am consulting the Champ master mechanics of this thread.

The servo doesn't even move, twitch, or make any noise whatsoever. So I don't think there is debris in there. It stopped working in flight. Move the stick left or right, nothing, no noise, nada.

Tomorrow I will cut her open and see what's going on in there. Just thought I would get ahead start.

Hope it's not the receiver but my guess is the..........receiver. Just heard my wallet groan. Thanks for any input.
Hopefully all you have to do is lightly touch/move the servo gear and she'll break loose.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:25 PM
Addict.
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts

I am by no means a professional but it seems like a fail safe is ultimately a software feature and not a hardware feature, which in the scheme of such a low price product would be a negligible extra cost. Really even if it was as simple as "if there's no control input for x seconds pull throttle to zero" it would prevent a total loss of aircraft in many situations. That's the only flaw I see in this amazing airplane, especially since I don't own a compatible tx and I bought this plane to keep in my car at all times where I don't feel comfortable leaving an expensive tx.

Oh, and for what its worth I am a semi-professional software developer/code monkey and have a little experience with arduino microcontrollers.
Last edited by skitchen8; Mar 21, 2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Feb 2006
77 Posts
I also still use the rtf transmitter with my champ and my um t28. Works fine with both planes, but am a little nervous to go to far out in fear of losing signal. Ive had the champ up pretty damn high before and seemed ok. Thought I was going to lose my champ to a hawk this morning. Was flying both planes in the park before work and a hawk spotted the champ, dropped down a little lower and kept eyeballing it. I brought it down into the grass and it still hung around checking it out for a bit before losing interest.
totaldoughnut is offline Find More Posts by totaldoughnut
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:48 PM
Addict.
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
That's awesome, we have a lot of geese here and the park/soccer field I fly in always has a bunch but it seems like I can never be in the air at the right time to chase them.

I am just worried that I will eventually decide to go a little too far away and either lose my champ or land on a highway (I live near the intersection of three major highways).
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:00 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by totaldoughnut View Post
I also still use the rtf transmitter with my champ and my um t28. Works fine with both planes, but am a little nervous to go to far out in fear of losing signal. Ive had the champ up pretty damn high before and seemed ok. Thought I was going to lose my champ to a hawk this morning. Was flying both planes in the park before work and a hawk spotted the champ, dropped down a little lower and kept eyeballing it. I brought it down into the grass and it still hung around checking it out for a bit before losing interest.
If you are going to stick with the rtf tx, keep her close, just my 2 cents. As for hawks, I've had one checking mine out and I was actually hoping he would try something, I was all set for a quick loop or some othe evasive manuver. . I am comfortable enough to feel I could evade an attack. I could of course be proven wrong but it would b fun to see. Talon scares have got to be a better story than asphalt scares
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:28 PM
Joined Feb 2006
77 Posts
I bet a hawk can damn near rip a little champ in two and the plane would still fly. I painted my champ all green with white stripes on the wings and tail. Was pissed at first because it looks kinda crappy up close haha. But looks real good from a distance in the air.
totaldoughnut is offline Find More Posts by totaldoughnut
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:20 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchen8 View Post
That's awesome, we have a lot of geese here and the park/soccer field I fly in always has a bunch but it seems like I can never be in the air at the right time to chase them.
Better be careful, in case the chase goes the other way around!

Barred Owl Attacks Hobbyzone Champ RC Plane (0 min 39 sec)
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:31 AM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,586 Posts
Marhar,Thats was awful. I'm assuming that was your little boy flying. Did you guys get it out of the tree?
Last summer I had a hawk attack my champ in the lot across the street. Luckily I saw him coming and just before he started to grab my plane I dove and he missed! I'm not sure If its that easy to get away from them or I just got extremely lucky.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 04:33 AM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jul 2006
177 Posts
For the first time since i have been flying my Champ the weather last night here was dead calm!!

absolutely wonderful flying...i even managed about 0.6 sec of inverted flight (unintentionally though!!)

bit gutted my 808 camera recently bit the bullet, but a new one is winging its way to me from Hong Kong as i err type

happy flying people
mudcow007 is offline Find More Posts by mudcow007
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:16 AM
Joined Aug 2010
247 Posts
While flying the power will cut out at wot into the wind. If I take throttle back, then rengage it will start up again sometimes, not all the time. Any ideas as to the problem? Thanks--Bo
bostomper is offline Find More Posts by bostomper
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:20 AM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jul 2006
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostomper View Post
While flying the power will cut out at wot into the wind. If I take throttle back, then rengage it will start up again sometimes, not all the time. Any ideas as to the problem? Thanks--Bo
I have exactly the same issue

changed batts in TX im running a 500ma in the champ so that has plenty of "juice"

it happens with me an close an long range

what about you?
mudcow007 is offline Find More Posts by mudcow007
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:02 AM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
The throttle cutting off and returning is how the LVC behaves normally.
This is to give you a last burst to try and land.

Many times, up close signal problems with the stock tx are a result of pointing the antenna straight at the plane. Always a no no. The signal radiates out perpendicularly to the antenna, the tip is a dead zone.

Welcome all ya'll to the Champsters!!!
Be sure and check out our off topic Champ thread as well.
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump