HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:53 PM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
249 Posts
New Product
HBZ RTF Champ HBZ4900

Looks cool and a little larger than the PKZ Cub. Just can't figure out why the price of the Champ is $89 RTF and the RTF Cub is $119. I know that my real Cub is worth more than any Champ any day! But still ?
twoplanekid is online now Find More Posts by twoplanekid
Last edited by twoplanekid; Mar 25, 2010 at 01:15 PM. Reason: add picture
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2010, 01:21 PM
Fly it like you stole it!
United States, VA, Purcellville
Joined Aug 2009
746 Posts
Here's the link to the new plane, BTW:

Champ RTF by HobbyZone

Yeah, I saw their post on facebook this morning. Insane!

A nice little micro 3-channel trainer plane RTF, for $90 bucks? Horizon Hobby quality? Heck yeah, dude!
ODUsurfer is offline Find More Posts by ODUsurfer
Old Mar 25, 2010, 01:28 PM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
249 Posts
And the winner(Champ) is

The Champ
Wingspan: 22.4 in (517mm)
Overall Length: 14.3 in (365mm)
Flying Weight: 1.3 oz (38g)
Radio: 3-channel 2.4GHz transmitter with Spektrum DSM
Trim Scheme Colors: Yellow with orange trim
CG (center of gravity): Approximately 28mm from leading edge of the main wing
Prop Size: 130 x 70mm
Recommended Battery: 3.7V 1S 150mAh LiPo (included)
Charger: DC 3.7V LiPo charger (included)
Landing Gear: Fixed main with steerable tail wheel

The Cub
Wingspan: 18.2 in (460 mm)
Overall Length: 12.4 in (314 mm)
Flying Weight: .88 oz (25 g) without battery, 1.0 oz (29g) with battery
Radio: 3-channel 2.4GHz DSM2 receiver
Trim Scheme Colors: Cub yellow with black trim
Prop Size: 100mm x 60mm
Recommended Battery: 3.7V 120mAh Li-Po
Approx. Flying Duration: 6–10 minutes
Charger: DC-powered, single-cell Li-Po fast charger
Landing Gear: Fixed main with steerable tail wheel
Old Mar 25, 2010, 04:06 PM
RDW
Joined Feb 2004
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Looks cool and a little larger than the PKZ Cub. Just can't figure out why the price of the Champ is $89 RTF and the RTF Cub is $119. I know that my real Cub is worth more than any Champ any day! But still ?
maybe they already amortised the tooling costs for the fuselage with the citabria?
RDW is offline Find More Posts by RDW
Old Mar 25, 2010, 05:07 PM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,719 Posts
Quote:
The airframe is all new.
It is tuned and tested to fly well for beginners.
I would think of this as our special low price to get new pilots into the hobby. Beginner products sometimes involve sacrifice!

Have Fun,
David
dribbe is offline Find More Posts by dribbe
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 25, 2010, 05:48 PM
Woof. Arf. Angle of Attack.
Iowa - East Central
Joined Oct 2007
143 Posts
This is real cute - to see a Champ in the classic Champ scheme. I wonder if we'll get a Luscombe or Cessna 190 (brushless) at this rate. Aeronca C3?
supercorgi is offline Find More Posts by supercorgi
Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:23 PM
CDA idaho
Joined Dec 2009
119 Posts
hmm tuned for beginners? a lil bigger than the cub a lil heavier than the cub ... havin a hard time biting on this on unless it comes in BNF for $60 )
Jerror is offline Find More Posts by Jerror
Old Mar 26, 2010, 07:57 AM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
249 Posts
As I recall from my Champ days, the visibility out the front on the ground, the ease of entry and exit, and the room inside was much better than the Cub. And now, with the great pricing of your Champ, I may just have to add one, or two, or three to go along with the Cub.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 08:19 AM
CDA idaho
Joined Dec 2009
119 Posts
yeah gonna have to fly one and see for sure .... the proof's in the air
Jerror is offline Find More Posts by Jerror
Old Mar 26, 2010, 01:29 PM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
249 Posts
I once purchased a Pietenpol after having flown in it once as a passenger. Had a friend fly me from Ohio to Brodhead, Wisconsin in his VariEze to pick up the aircraft. As he wouldn’t land on the grass runways at Brodhead, we landed at a paved strip close by and I had to get a ride by car to Brodhead.

An airport bum pointed me in the direction of the unlocked hanger that housed my new bird. So, with out instructions and with no help from another sole, I fired up the Piet and headed for Ohio hoping to return before dark.

Maybe it would be wise for me to fly one new Champ before purchasing a second Champ.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 02:37 PM
Joined Aug 2009
746 Posts
Red Rocket Hobbies posted a Youtube video of it yesterday. Looks like a great flying little bird! Looks like they are taking preorders for it as well.

HobbyZone Champ RTF Micro RC Airplane by Hobby Zone (1 min 21 sec)
Old Mar 26, 2010, 03:56 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
6,974 Posts
Quote:
As I recall from my Champ days, the visibility out the front on the ground, the ease of entry and exit, and the room inside was much better than the Cub. And now, with the great pricing of your Champ, I may just have to add one, or two, or three to go along with the Cub.
I learned on a Champ. The Champion Aircraft version. My flying instructor switched to the Champ after a first time student sitting behind him in a cub pulled the stick all the way back on takeoff and wrecked the plane. He was unable to do anything except (as he put it) tail walk it down.

After that he decided that he was sitting in the back when he taught. If nothing else at least he could clout the student in the head if need be.

He said it was a good thing the student was able to outrun him or he'd (my instructor) have probably wound up in jail.

Anyway, it's little different than the Champion Aircraft version (more dorsal on that) but close enough to bring up fond memories. BTW. you can see the ground WAY better from the rear seat. I always wondered why my instructor kept seeing deer and stuff that I was missing until I took a rear seat ride to see what it was like. Second BTW. I solo'd on skis. We had real winters in those days.

I wish all these little things were built to the same scale, but I'll take them any way I can get them. Next year I'll complain about scale.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Mar 26, 2010, 04:11 PM
It works, don't touch it.
Joined Dec 2007
2,931 Posts
If they made a BNF of this, that would be great! I know this is for beginners and so they have to make a complete beginner package, but a BNF would make for a great deal...
skiesthelimit is offline Find More Posts by skiesthelimit
Old Mar 26, 2010, 05:15 PM
Woof. Arf. Angle of Attack.
Iowa - East Central
Joined Oct 2007
143 Posts
Quote:
I once purchased a Pietenpol after having flown in it once as a passenger. Had a friend fly me from Ohio to Brodhead, Wisconsin in his VariEze to pick up the aircraft. As he wouldn’t land on the grass runways at Brodhead, we landed at a paved strip close by and I had to get a ride by car to Brodhead.

An airport bum pointed me in the direction of the unlocked hanger that housed my new bird. So, with out instructions and with no help from another sole, I fired up the Piet and headed for Ohio hoping to return before dark.
So did you make it?
What engine was that Camper flying with, ContA65, Corvair, Model A or?
I'd really love to build a full scale Pietenpol and try to fly it with some of the same 40KW electric motors that some of the other larger electric aircraft are flying with. I'd worry about being able to get enough weight up on the front though. Also alot more interference drag on the Piet, than those slick all composite electrics like the Yuneec 430.
supercorgi is offline Find More Posts by supercorgi
Old Mar 26, 2010, 07:15 PM
Joined Aug 2009
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesthelimit View Post
If they made a BNF of this, that would be great!
Actually a really good question. David, do you think there'll be a BNF version of this coming out?