HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2010, 02:40 AM
Tulcea Romania
Joined Mar 2010
184 Posts
Discussion
Octocopter for aerial photography with - FPV - OSD - Head tracker

Ok so I am starting to build an aerial photography platform on a Octocopter and I need the following features:

1 - FPV flight distance no more than 1.5 km
2 - OSD
3 - Position hold with GPS-Baro-compas (or something that works)
4 - Pan tilt roll camera controlled by head tracker
5 - Camera trigger
6 - 15-20 min flight with a payload of 1kg (1.5kg will be pushing it... )

I would like to know if you can help me chose the most stable but also cost efective components for this. I know there are a million setups but nothing beats experience.

From what I have read till now I thought about the following:

1. Octocopter

- MK electronics - (the only problem here is they don't allow commercial use... anybody with experience in that matter?) what other board would you recommend? UAVX, QuadPowered? andy advice would be welcome.
- 12x4.7 Proppelers
- Custom made frame (eventually foldable with coaxial motors)

2. FPV - Here I would go for a 500mW 1.2 GhZ transmitter and maybe a diversity receiver... any advice? It has to be portable and have a max range of 1.5km
- I would like to use the on board camera's live view also instead of a separate mini camera - what are the draw backs here and why should I use something different?
- For ground monitoring I would use a small monitor and FatShark - any other systems outhere worth the attention? There are many video gogles but it is hard to chose if you have never seen them.

3. OSD - here I am in the dark and advice will be welcomed

4. Pan tilt roll camera mount with gyro stabilizer and eventually head tracker. Is a head tracker practicle for aerial photography? What camera mount would you chose for this task? The camera I plan tu use will be a micro four thirds or something like Canon 11g - GoPro

5. IR remote on board to trigger the camera ... will it work? I thought using a reley to activate the remote.

6. Batteries - maybe a 5000mAh lipo - what brand is good and not too expensive?

Do I need anything else? What is your experience and how often do this octos crush?

Thanks
danielpetrescu is offline Find More Posts by danielpetrescu
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2010, 02:30 PM
Tulcea Romania
Joined Mar 2010
184 Posts
Anybody out there?
danielpetrescu is offline Find More Posts by danielpetrescu