HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2010, 08:25 PM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
United States, TX, Lockhart
Joined Dec 2008
2,872 Posts
Help!
Banana Plug Power Strip Box Plans?

Does anyone have a schematic for dummies on how to build one of these boxes? Like where to put the fuse and how big (My power supply is 30A) in relation to the banana plugs, or power wire or switches? (if I need them) etc... I will more than likely do the radio shack stuff... THANKS!! Here is an example
Rockin G is offline Find More Posts by Rockin G
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:16 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
If you are not going to use switches, just parallel all the banana jacks - connect all red together, and all black together. Put the fuse in series with the input to either the positive or negative side of the parallel jacks. If you use 12 ga input wire, 30 Amp ought to be about right. If you add switches, the wiring gets a bit more messy - wire the switch in series with the input to either the positive or negative jack of each pair.

But, unless you just want to homebrew a project, consider costs. At Radio Shack, a pair of input jacks is $2.99. Times 6 and you are up to $4.00 less than the example box and you still have a box, input leads, indicator lights, and fuse holder to go. Switches ain't cheap, either.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:44 PM
Joined Dec 2008
2,872 Posts
Thanks Bill...I dont need that many jacks, Maybe 3 at most. I will probably not add switches...dont think I will need indicator lights. Not sure I know what you mean on what to do with the fuse...sorry.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:51 PM
Stinger!
USA, TX, Boyd
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
It would be hard to beat that price building it yourself. If you saved half that, your time building it could easily be two or three hours.
radialarm is offline Find More Posts by radialarm
Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:15 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,787 Posts
IMHO these are a superior solution. I use Rigrunners and Red Dee myself.

http://www.powerwerx.com/powerpole-power-splitters/
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:55 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB View Post
+1 on the RigRunners ... but they are much more expensive than what the OP is likely looking for, and you have to change out all the plugs to APPs.

It would be hard to beat that AMain price since the OP doesn't need that many outputs.

tk
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:00 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
+1 on the RigRunners ... but they are much more expensive than what the OP is likely looking for, and you have to change out all the plugs to APPs.

It would be hard to beat that AMain price since the OP doesn't need that many outputs.

tk
That's why my link also included the Red Dee 2 Connect option. By the time you buy all the parts at Rat Shack you may have spent just as purchasing a ready made solution. Besides, Powerpoles are superior connectors anyway and yes, I do use them on all my chargers.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 08:38 AM
Retired CFI Helicopter
Southeast PA
Joined Jun 2007
1,609 Posts
I have two of the Team Integy boxes and they work great for power supply distribution or for 2S and 3S distribution from the charger for multiple parallel pack charging.

As said .... You will spend much more to build your own unit.

Bob
Hughes500Bob is offline Find More Posts by Hughes500Bob
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:44 AM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB View Post

http://www.powerwerx.com/powerpole-power-splitters/
Great if you use Anderson power poles - I do.
But, sort of useless if bananas meet your needs.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:02 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebill3 View Post
Great if you use Anderson power poles - I do.
But, sort of useless if bananas meet your needs.

Bill
I don't like exposed contacts so I use bananas sparingly and when I do I use the safety ones.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:18 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
I use Deans. Readily available and most know how to solder them.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Mar 25, 2010, 01:04 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cna91 View Post
Does anyone have a schematic for dummies on how to build one of these boxes? Like where to put the fuse and how big (My power supply is 30A) in relation to the banana plugs, or power wire or switches? (if I need them) etc... I will more than likely do the radio shack stuff... THANKS!! Here is an example
Well a schematic would be very simple.
But basically you have a box, and you neatly drill a bunch of holes in it for your banana jacks. You line up the red ones and the black ones in rows and align the tabs for easy soldering. Then you take a heavy gauge solid wire, strip off the insulation and solder it to each black banana jacks, and repeat for the red banana jacks. If you like you can run a black and red jack off the end of the box and the wires goes straight to them. Then you use a jumper banana jack cable to plug it into the power supply or alligator clips as desired.

Here is one other way one could do it too. I used some short lengths of copper solder wick braid to solder the banana jacks to the heavy gauge single wire. I added a 50 ampere ammeter to mine as well.

earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:43 PM
Landings are not optional
Van Nuys, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,805 Posts
Here's how I wired my recent addition to my bench power supply. It has 3 sets of bananas. This is a pic of the inside cover where the jacks attach, the two wires just run to the terminals of the 12V supply. It's one continuous 12ga silicone wire, stripped at each spot and soldered to the contact tabs of the bananas.
DeuceTrinal is offline Find More Posts by DeuceTrinal
Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:46 PM
Joined Dec 2008
2,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceTrinal View Post
Here's how I wired my recent addition to my bench power supply. It has 3 sets of bananas. This is a pic of the inside cover where the jacks attach, the two wires just run to the terminals of the 12V supply. It's one continuous 12ga silicone wire, stripped at each spot and soldered to the contact tabs of the bananas.
So no fuse then?
Old Mar 26, 2010, 01:04 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,787 Posts
That's why I like the Rigrunners. The input an every output is individually fused.