SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 24, 2010, 10:16 PM
BadPilot
United States, IL, Custer Park
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjetpilot View Post
I'm running G5 on a Win7 I7 chip - 64bit machine XfxForce 5800 graphics card.

The problem I am encountering, the screen flikers out, sometimes shows a yellowish background with vertical blackish bars.

I also get a driver stop responding error, but recovered.

I can reproduce this issue by moving the plane real close to my standing position. OR when I use ParkMaster (Rock war)... when the rockets explode, the screen will sometimes go blank, flicker... etc...

I've updated the XfxForce ATI drivers and still have the same issue.

Anyone else have this issue?

rcj.
rcjetpilot,

I am by no means a computer expert or a software designer.

I have the same problem when flying close to my virtual-self using Windwos XP 64 bit. In my opinion, when anyone who flies close to their self uses more memory. This intern slows the screen refresh rate down making it flicker. My computer has 1gb of video memory and 4gb of ram. That is my first guess at the problem.

Second guess is that Real Flight was designed for a 32 bit system not a 64 bit one. The only one who knows for sure is jbourke and his design crew. They designed the software. Just copy and paste your question into an email and send to rfsupport@greatplanes.com

Hope that help

John
badpilotto is offline Find More Posts by badpilotto
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2010, 10:43 PM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badpilotto View Post
rcjetpilot,

I am by no means a computer expert or a software designer.

I have the same problem when flying close to my virtual-self using Windwos XP 64 bit. In my opinion, when anyone who flies close to their self uses more memory. This intern slows the screen refresh rate down making it flicker. My computer has 1gb of video memory and 4gb of ram. That is my first guess at the problem.

Second guess is that Real Flight was designed for a 32 bit system not a 64 bit one. The only one who knows for sure is jbourke and his design crew. They designed the software. Just copy and paste your question into an email and send to rfsupport@greatplanes.com

Hope that help

John
Very much appreciate the follow up.... I really like the software but the constant freezes, crashes is sad....

I've tried Xp compat mode, no luck...
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2010, 08:51 PM
San Diego, Ca
Joined Oct 2007
489 Posts
More than likely they are video driver issues. I run it on W7 x64 on an nvidia 275 and a 480 and on both have never had a glitch at all.

If your using an nvidia card you can try a specific diver maybe. I'm using a slightly older driver, 197.75
LAdams is offline Find More Posts by LAdams
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Decals!
Old Aug 31, 2010, 09:42 PM
BadPilot
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
Adams,

It could be the video card but not always. I have NVidia Radian card with 1gb or on board ram but it is still flickering when I fly near my virtual plane close to myself.

John
Old Sep 01, 2010, 02:02 PM
United States
Joined Jun 2010
29 Posts
Make sure you don't have any graphics settings enabled for the simulator outside the program itself like in the ATI or nvidia control panel...if settings are messed with that the sim won't support, problems occur.
b1ackhawk is offline Find More Posts by b1ackhawk
Old Sep 02, 2010, 07:30 PM
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Mar 2010
68 Posts
Hey there, I've recently upgraded my G5 with the "required" updates and ever since, the sound is glitchy and at times nonexistent.

I run Vista 64bit btw. I've tried once before to reinstall G5 completely to revert back to the older version that worked for me, but online play requires the most up to date version.

please help.
sean.belardo is offline Find More Posts by sean.belardo
Old Sep 04, 2010, 12:39 AM
BadPilot
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
Sean,

When I first upgraded I had the same problem. I deleted and reinstalled the program and updates several times. I found the problem to be the website when downloading updates. It would allow the download sometimes but not others. I finally reloaded the program and all updates in the middle of the night; it seemed to work best when there was not much traffic on the knifeedge website. Hope that bit of info is helpful and works for you.

John
Old Sep 23, 2010, 08:54 PM
Watts is life...
Joined Sep 2003
2,867 Posts
FYI –
As I previously reported, I was having some issues where the display would crash during times where the POC of the plane was real close or during rocket explosions.

I’m running the sim under Win7 64bit….ATI card.

ATI released a new driver update (9/14) and Microsoft has some “optional updates” for ATI as well. I installed the updated driver and OS optional stuff… this seams to have cleared out the problems so far.

Very good news for me, and I really enjoy the sim…

Rcjp.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2010, 07:31 PM
BadPilot
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
rcjp,

I am glad to hear that it is all working out for you. I upgraded my OS to Win7 64 bit and there isn’t any problems aside from what was mentioned previously.

I updated my ATI Radeon drivers but when flying near my virtual-self it still slows down. I see that Real Flight recommends 2.4 GHz processor and I am running and older one that is 2.2 GHz.

Did you update to RF5.5 yet?

John
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:11 PM
Watts is life...
Joined Sep 2003
2,867 Posts
John,

Actually, I still have the crash issue, but its not related to RF... turns out ATI HD 5800 cards (and a few others) are suffering from some type of power saving, voltage issue that sends the driver into gray bars - crash mode. Finally, today, I found a 10.9 hotfix posted that seems to have stabilized things.

2.2 ghz should be fine... 2. 4 is only slightly faster.... in the end it's really the visoe card that makes the difference.

I have not update to 5.5 yet... in all the SIM is a great way to get some practice in...

rcjp
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2010, 01:51 AM
BadPilot
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
rcjp,

That is quite a newer video card then what I am using. Mine is the Radeon X1600 with 512 of video ram. I thought I had one gb on the vidoe card but it has only 512 mb. It has been almost five years sense I built this computer and I didn't remember correctly what card\memory was installed.

As far as RF v5.5 I don't see a difference between the two yet. I only used v5 for about one month before my computer broke. It has taken me almost three to finally get it all put back together and install the newer OS. I wasn't in a rush becouse we purchased Apple computers. I only rebult PC to run the flight sym.

Take care and my you have good air for flying.

John
Old Oct 12, 2010, 05:09 PM
Ready, Post, Aim
Cleveland, OH
Joined Nov 2007
5,909 Posts
Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS on mine.... recent move to G5.5 and my computer is crashing more than my planes

its old yes, and the last of the AGP stuff but should still work

hopefully the driver update will help (7.19.2010)
wedgewing is offline Find More Posts by wedgewing
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:46 PM
Ready, Post, Aim
Cleveland, OH
Joined Nov 2007
5,909 Posts
Problems went away after going back to G5.5.010

Unfortunately unlike the old days where you could MP on different versions, you are compelled to run the latest version in order to participate in MP

I understand that, but I am taken out of the MP aspect for now. Drivers are up to date, but this was a processor that wasn't originally supported but was addressed in an update CD that was sent to me quickly back when G5 came out

they can't please all and looks like I have hit the wall here on the last update

hahaha.... I guess I will have to hang with the G4 zealots for a while
wedgewing is offline Find More Posts by wedgewing
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:28 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Feb 2009
71 Posts
Can anyone help with run time errors on G5.5, planes that I have been flying for months, now will not load and error out causing me to re-start G5.5. Thanks in advance.

Jim
82nd Trooper is offline Find More Posts by 82nd Trooper
Old Nov 14, 2010, 09:46 PM
BadPilot
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
Jim,

1) Reload that plane if you downloaded it and see if that will fix the problem.
2) Try to roll back to an earlier version if you just did an upgrade.
If neither of those two items work post again giving more details about your computer and if you have made any changes, i.e. changed out the video card, installed any new programs or added some hardware.
Hope one of those two work.
John