Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:48 PM
Hungary, Europe
Joined Feb 2009
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi22 View Post
One nearly boxed up SL !
OMG, poor man. I told you it was gonna be pain boxing it up.

I love receiving T-shaped boxes, though...
Pigeonflyer is offline Find More Posts by Pigeonflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:55 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,171 Posts
For those who mentioned TwinJet and MicroJet, this website states they are in stock (no affiliation)

http://www.ductedfans.com/planes_twinjet.html
http://www.ductedfans.com/micro_jet_rc_jet.html
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:32 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
Guys,
I just started a poll to see if we can prove some interest to any ambitious Chinese company who might want to reverse engineer a Sonic Liner.

Feel free to weigh in...if you don't have interest, your opinion is valuable too!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1773845
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:59 PM
full throttle flyer
Joined Nov 2012
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
For those who mentioned TwinJet and MicroJet, this website states they are in stock (no affiliation)

http://www.ductedfans.com/planes_twinjet.html
http://www.ductedfans.com/micro_jet_rc_jet.html
just checked out the twinjet 190.00 is a pretty steep price "to bad they dont have just the kit" .
my_names_nobody is offline Find More Posts by my_names_nobody
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:49 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
i dont understand why multiplex hasnt started reproducing the sonic-liner!!
Simple math really.
Expect to sell 100 Sonic Liner units.
Consider molds are still usable,Then you need to arrange a time with a molder to setup his machine(s) for the SL molds (labor costs,material costs) do some test runs and then pump out some SL moldings.
Working time could be anywhere from 2 days to 2 months or more.
So far you have bought material (EPP pellets) hired a shop (3 bodies at least) and produced 100 to 120 SL moldings (failed product,test runs,a few spares for handling breakage).Figure a more realistic 140 moldings.
Now you need to package.Big square box and throw it all in right? Wrong.Maybe some artwork too.
Now then, how much money do you Need to make? Enough to pay your expenses? Sure, but what's the point of that?
It prolly cost you $100-$160 per unit to produce the SL parts for 100 kits.That will put the kit price at about $200-$320.And where do you think the most likely sell point would be?
For all the time involved,300-500 kits would prolly be neccessary to get the cost per unit down to a level that allows a profit to be made at a realistic price point.
Whoops,I didn't even mention all the goodies.Manual,motors,props,etc. And these items help provide a profit for the 'kit' package.Nowadays we can buy,individually,for near the price of putting all these items together in the original SL kit.
Now where are those 300-500 kit buyers?
Like Jurgen implied, the SL just did not move.A lot prolly had to do with it's cost at the time.
BTW, when was the Sonic Liner released in USA? 2002? 2003?
I was at a RC 'convention' in LasVegas and bought one from Hobby Club IIRC. Their show stock was sold so they offered to ship me one w/o charge. I think I paid $179
Sold it last year to a buddy. He crashed it
Skies
Jay.
P.S. The fact the chinese mfg. community has not copied the Sonic Liner says a LOT about the cost to produce this kit.
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:51 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBornOne View Post
Simple math really.
Consider molds are still usable. ...

Now you need to package.Big square box and throw it all in right? Wrong.Maybe some artwork too. ....
I was at a RC 'convention' in LasVegas and bought one from Hobby Club IIRC. ...
Simple math - agreed! Companies work for profit. If a product does not make money - drop it!

Multiplex no longer has the moulds.

A box like the one for the Sonicliner can easily cost €15.- per unit.

As the Sonicliner was first shown at the Nuremberg Toy Fair in 2003, it most likely hit the US market end of 2003, if not early 2004.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:43 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,870 Posts
Jurgen,
Maybe you have the information to share.
Are the MPX foamies made in DE or outsourced somewhere else? Or both?
Do molds for discontinued product get sold? Destroyed/recycled? Kept by actual molding contractor?
Re: TwinJet, we see reference to TJ's still being sold.Are these MPX productions? Counterfeit? Did MPX sell the mfg. 'rights' ?
Thank you and ...
Skies
Jay.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:44 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Jurgen,
Maybe you have the information to share.
Are the MPX foamies made in DE or outsourced somewhere else? Or both?
Do molds for discontinued product get sold? Destroyed/recycled? Kept by actual molding contractor?
Re: TwinJet, we see reference to TJ's still being sold.Are these MPX productions? Counterfeit? Did MPX sell the mfg. 'rights' ?
Thank you and ...
Skies
Jay.
AFAIK, earlier MPX foamies have definitely been "Made in Germany". I am not sure, whether this is still true. I also don't know, what happens with the moulds of discontinued models.

Twin-Jets still being sold? Have you got a link? Those are definitely no MPX TJ's.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:44 AM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Twin-Jets still being sold? Have you got a link? Those are definitely no MPX TJ's.
Jürgen
See post #62 just above on this page.
J
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:52 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by my_names_nobody View Post
just checked out the twinjet 190.00 is a pretty steep price "to bad they dont have just the kit" .
Looks to me, that $190.- is the price just for the kit.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:55 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
See post #62 just above on this page.
J
Perhaps this company stocked some kits, when they were still available.

Micro-Jets are still available from MPX - although just in plastic bags and no longer in boxes (those boxes were rather expensive!)

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:17 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Simple math really.
Expect to sell 100 Sonic Liner units.
Consider molds are still usable,Then you need to arrange a time with a molder to setup his machine(s) for the SL molds (labor costs,material costs) do some test runs and then pump out some SL moldings.
Working time could be anywhere from 2 days to 2 months or more.
So far you have bought material (EPP pellets) hired a shop (3 bodies at least) and produced 100 to 120 SL moldings (failed product,test runs,a few spares for handling breakage).Figure a more realistic 140 moldings.
Now you need to package.Big square box and throw it all in right? Wrong.Maybe some artwork too.
Now then, how much money do you Need to make? Enough to pay your expenses? Sure, but what's the point of that?
It prolly cost you $100-$160 per unit to produce the SL parts for 100 kits.That will put the kit price at about $200-$320.And where do you think the most likely sell point would be?
For all the time involved,300-500 kits would prolly be neccessary to get the cost per unit down to a level that allows a profit to be made at a realistic price point.
Whoops,I didn't even mention all the goodies.Manual,motors,props,etc. And these items help provide a profit for the 'kit' package.Nowadays we can buy,individually,for near the price of putting all these items together in the original SL kit.
Now where are those 300-500 kit buyers?
Like Jurgen implied, the SL just did not move.A lot prolly had to do with it's cost at the time.
I was at a RC 'convention' in LasVegas and bought one from Hobby Club IIRC. Their show stock was sold so they offered to ship me one w/o charge. I think I paid $179
Sold it last year to a buddy. He crashed it
Skies
Jay.
P.S. The fact the chinese mfg. community has not copied the Sonic Liner says a LOT about the cost to produce this kit.
Quote:
Simple math - agreed! Companies work for profit. If a product does not make money - drop it!

Multiplex no longer has the moulds.

A box like the one for the Sonicliner can easily cost €15.- per unit.

As the Sonicliner was first shown at the Nuremberg Toy Fair in 2003, it most likely hit the US market end of 2003, if not early 2004.

Jürgen
No doubt, Multiplex doesn't believe that the Sonic Liner would be more profitable than other models that occupy their machine capacity....but this is all we know.

I work in procurement for an major aerospace corporation and I have negotiated with many "first world" (in the USA) factories...and certainly, the materials, labor and setup are not to be underestimated...but with all due respect, the cost estimates and sales estimated listed above have been pulled out of someone's posterior.

Secondly, as far as I know, the MPX kits are currently produced in Asia and have been for the past few years at least. If this is the case, you can ignore all of the math.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:11 PM
full throttle flyer
Joined Nov 2012
35 Posts
Quote:
Looks to me, that $190.- is the price just for the kit.

Jürgen
no wonder they still have some in stock at that price they will never sell them .you can find them here once n a while for under 100.00 i just havent been that lucky to find one yet . but i looked in the classified a few back one was sold for around 100.00
thanks
my_names_nobody is offline Find More Posts by my_names_nobody
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:37 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by my_names_nobody View Post
no wonder they still have some in stock at that price they will never sell them. ...
Well, many jet modelers like the Twin-Jet as "testbed" for their Kolibri turbines and considering the price of the turbine, the kit price - even at $190.- - would be fairly negligible.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:02 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
I recently saw a Space Scooter up close...I'm not sure it's a plane that I lust for but it's an interesting design. With that high wing and sporty shape, it doesn't quite look like anything else.