HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2010, 08:49 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Well, it is pretty simple, the fact whether we are a EU company doesn't mean anything as we don't sell to customers direct. All of our products are exclusively carried by our dealers. If the dealer you choose to buy our products from is in Canada and you are residing in the EU then all the applicable duties and taxes apply.

But that's all besides the point, the EzUHF is reading to ship! Finally

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:02 AM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Sweeeet! I'll save up for this baby. Thanks for the hard work.
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:12 AM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,187 Posts
Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Tax refund just came in!! I guess I'll have to deal (again ) with Zoltan... and the beauty of being like 8-10 hours from him means that shipping is really fast
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:17 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashingDutchman View Post
Oh, you mentioned long range. Can you elaborate what the range is?
Well, that depends on a large number of factors, most of which are up to the end user. With proper antennas and antenna orientation/positioning the link budget is in the double digits.

If you do the math on free space losses the EzUHF performs exactly as theory predicts. For example, with 600mW of Tx output power, 2.15dBi gain each antenna, 1dB total connector loss, 40km link (LOS), Rx sensitivity -110dBm, received signal strength -86dBm ... thats 23dB of margin, so you've got a long way to go still.

In practice it has been tested well into the double digits, but I'm not going to put a fixed number on this as several factors come into play. During one of the tests with a Rx and Tx positioned 40km away at ground level (LOS) a reliable link could be established. An urban area with houses etc. does however attenuate the signal significantly more than kilometers of flat grasslands. This is a reality you can't get away from which will affect any form of radio transmission.

Obviously when flying the receiver will be suspended above the ground and hence the attenuation is governed more by the theoretical free space losses than anything else and thus the maximum distance is significantly increased.

One thing is very clear though, long range FPV is no longer an RC uplink problem, but rather a video downlink problem. There is no point having silly ranges on the RC uplink side if the video downlink stops working reliably at less than 10km out.

So video downlink receiver antennas with high gains (and narrow radiation patterns) certainly help here, as do tracking antennas, which are pretty much essential with these antennas to point them at the FPV plane accurately and reliably.

However note that ImmersionRC encourages all FPVers/UAVers to fly safely and legally, please check with local rules & regulations before using this (or any other) equipment. Keep in mind though that the EzUHF may be an excellent solution for long range flying, it also adds security for shorter range flights, with excellent margins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_budget
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_space_loss
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_zone

Cheers,

Sander.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:20 AM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,187 Posts
Sander: do you know if Zoltan already have some EzUHF in stock or coming soon? No words about it ( yet ) on his website.

Cheers mate!
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:22 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Was that 40km test conducted with 200mW or 600mW? Assuming one has the EzOSD installed, what will the readout tell us on screen about the link budget? Since it's a digital link the servos won't start to glitch, so how do I know it's best to turn around?
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:40 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy View Post
Was that 40km test conducted with 200mW or 600mW? Assuming one has the EzOSD installed, what will the readout tell us on screen about the link budget? Since it's a digital link the servos won't start to glitch, so how do I know it's best to turn around?
With 600mW, I already gave you the numbers in my reply. The EzOSD will show you RSSI for each antenna as well as a received packet indicator in %, when the RSSI and the % starts to drop it is time to turn around. The EzOSD will trigger an alarm when that happens though.

Regardless it is good practice to always fly in low power mode (200mW) and only use the high power mode (600mW) when you need to get out of trouble. It is rather foolish to fly with high power all the time as you have no margin left if you do end up in a tight spot.

Cheers,

Sander.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:40 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucisse View Post
Sander: do you know if Zoltan already have some EzUHF in stock or coming soon? No words about it ( yet ) on his website.

Cheers mate!
Not yet, shipping out next week

Cheers,

Sander.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:46 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
ok, so assuming I'm flying out low, RSSI drops, EzOSD pops up and I hit the 600mW switch, turn around and fly back. As the RSSI recovers, I go back to 200mW. Very nice.

Last question ... what's the power consumption in these 2 modes?
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:48 AM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,449 Posts
Best news of 2010 !!!

I'm glad I waited too. Placing order as soon as retailer allows me to do so.

I noticed the V1.00 label on the Immersion RC Player... Is that available as a separate download? This is a GREAT app for OTHERS to share our mapping adventures. I'd like to see it available separately so non-EzOSD owners can play back EzOSD videos complete with mapping.

Jeff
workshop is online now Find More Posts by workshop
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:54 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
ok, so assuming I'm flying out low, RSSI drops, EzOSD pops up and I hit the 600mW switch, turn around and fly back. As the RSSI recovers, I go back to 200mW. Very nice.
Yeah, that's the idea.

Quote:
Last question ... what's the power consumption in these 2 modes?
In 200mW mode 85mA, in 600mW mode 250mA, both at 12V.

Cheers,

Sander.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:29 AM
Joined Mar 2009
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by workshop View Post
I'm glad I waited too. Placing order as soon as retailer allows me to do so.

I noticed the V1.00 label on the Immersion RC Player... Is that available as a separate download? This is a GREAT app for OTHERS to share our mapping adventures. I'd like to see it available separately so non-EzOSD owners can play back EzOSD videos complete with mapping.

Jeff
We'll get that updated within a few days, for EzUHF debugging it has been an essential tool.
When comparing antennas for example, imagine hooking two different antennas to the Rx, one to each of the diversity inputs, and then go flying.
After the flight you can not only plot the individual RSSI values on the google earth map, but you can export the raw data to a spreadsheet.
Antenna comparisons become easy, and very low risk :-)

One thing we have found in > 1 year of flying with this system, is that there is no one 'ideal' antenna for FPV flying. Different models demand different types of antennas.
Since standard SMA connectors are used throughout, standard 'off the shelf' extension cables can be used to mount antennas anywhere on a model.

Some examples:
An F5B type machine, with Carbon Fibre fuse, and difficult to access wings, suits a standard 'active robots' rubber-duck type antenna, mounted near the nose, with a short SMA extension cable, terminated in a bulkhead mount, through a hole in the fuse.

Some of the larger foamies, a twinstar for example, lend themselves to two short 'rubber duck' antennas, one on each wingtip, angled at 45 degrees. SMA extension cables are embedded in the foam wings, and lead down to the receiver.

In any of these cases, being able to evaluate antenna performance using the ImmersionPlayer has been a lot of fun, fly out a kilometer and bank the plane, even fly inverted, and have it all recorded for later analysis.

Apologies, rather wordy reply, but its an exciting topic :-)

Some antennas that were mentioned above:
http://www.active-robots.co.uk/433mh...ght-p-544.html
ttp://www.active-robots.co.uk/433mhz-antenna-rightangled-p-545.html

And extension cables:
http://www.active-robots.co.uk/sma-b...5mm-p-558.html
http://www.active-robots.co.uk/sma-b...5mm-p-559.html
ImmersionRC is offline Find More Posts by ImmersionRC
Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:01 AM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,444 Posts
Layout and production finish looks very good.

Looking forward to seeing some of these in action. Especially if it's in my hands....

But timing is so cruel - I have no money. Just gave my last bit to RCMonster99 for his Sonic Liner.

Can't wait to try and compare.....
Shikra is offline Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:21 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
By the way i took this occasion to update this page, i hope it looks correct:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...=0&output=html
jimbob00 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob00
Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:26 AM
Suspended Account