New Hyperion Pitts Python:
Yardbee is offline Find More Posts by Yardbee
Last edited by Yardbee; Mar 23, 2010 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Description Edited
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:55 AM
Fogelsville, PA
Joined Mar 2004
670 Posts
Already built one if anyone has questions. Mine was a pre-production model, so only has a few differences that I can see from the pic.

Have not flown it yet, but will in the next few weeks. Ordered some larger wheels since I fly off rolled grass.
maverickma is offline Find More Posts by maverickma
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:04 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jul 2009
113 Posts
Hi Maverick,

What was your impression of the model? Built quality, easy of putting it together etc. I noticed this by accident and doesn't seem to have a lot of info about it. I love to have a Pitts Python this size.

Thanks!
CV
Firefly T-67 is online now Find More Posts by Firefly T-67
Old Mar 23, 2010, 01:53 PM
Fogelsville, PA
Joined Mar 2004
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly T-67 View Post
Hi Maverick,

What was your impression of the model? Built quality, easy of putting it together etc. I noticed this by accident and doesn't seem to have a lot of info about it. I love to have a Pitts Python this size.

Thanks!
CV
Hi Firefly! It was typical Hyperion build quality which I find very high quality. I have 3 Hyperions, a Yak 25e, Super Chipmunk 70e, and now the Pitts Python. You have to understand that the wings might not feel as beefy or heavy as a nitro plane, but they do that to keep weight down since this is made for electric. Still, my AUW hovers right around 8lbs.

Instructions were ok, but my guess is that the production models have a written insert along with the pictorial instructions as Hyperion always provides. Mine just had the pictorial instructions with limited written. You'll be ok if you have moderate level building skills. I can tell by the pic that the hardware is better on the production model. Bolt on versus the fiberglass control horns provided in my kit. I'm used to the fiberglass ones since that is what I have on my other two Hyperions. I also noticed that the rudder is a different design on the production model. It does not overlap the vertical stab and does not have 2 flying wires as mine does.

My only real concern with the kit was with the landing gear which is a two piece. That makes me nervous since it can stress out the undercarriage especially at a grass field like I fly off of. I remedied this with a piece of fiberglass that extends from the top of one of the legs to the other. Essentiallym the 2 inside mounting bolts (there are 3 in total) go through the gear leg, then through a hole in the fiberglass, and then into a lock nut. This is hard to explain and impossible to take a pic at this point since mine is together. Essentially it stiffens up the flex of the gear. I also go with larger and softer wheels since the Hyperion kits comes with hard wheels. For this model, I'm confident I can fit a Dave Brown Lite Flite 3 1/4" diameter wheels on under the spats. I also ordered 3 1/2" just in case I can fit them!! I know a 3" diameter one works since I tried that last night, but the larger the better since it helps absorb the shock. This is standard practice on all of my planes.

In the meantime, if you like Pitts biplanes, take a look at my other Pitts Model 12 build log, I think you'll find it interesting. I'm converting a 50cc plane to electric...with a Hyperion motor of course!! It also has pics of my completed Hyperion Pitts on page 2.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1207004

Disclaimer - I build real real real slow to the point of aggravating people. I like to think through everything 10 times before I take action, but my planes seem to fly well!!

The bottom line with the Hyperion Pitts Python 70e, at the price they are selling it for, its a very good bargain. I don't have a flight report yet. I flew this weekend, but didn't want my 1st flight of the season to be a maiden with an unfamiliar plane, so I flew the hell out of the Super Chipmunk, my smaller Pitts Model 12, and my Yak 25e. I'm ready now and will post a maiden flight report as soon as I can get to the field. The Python fits perfectly in the back of my Jeep Grand Cherokee with no dismantling and room to spare.
Last edited by maverickma; Mar 23, 2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 08:55 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jul 2009
113 Posts
Maverick, thanks for detailed response and perspective. I own two Hyperion models as well (L-19 and P-51) which I am both happy with. I only fly electric, so I am used to those lighter wings and body structure. Actually it surprises me, how much wood goes into Nitro planes. I have recently converted a Top Flite P-47, which is a gorgeous model but it is build like a tank.

Anyhow, I have been thinking about 50'ish size biplane for a while, but only a few options really exists that is ready for electric. This one seem to fit the bill and I love the Pitts Python. I think, I just need to go ahead and pull the trigger on this one.

Good luck on your maiden.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:38 PM
Fogelsville, PA
Joined Mar 2004
670 Posts
Quote:
Maverick, thanks for detailed response and perspective. I own two Hyperion models as well (L-19 and P-51) which I am both happy with. I only fly electric, so I am used to those lighter wings and body structure. Actually it surprises me, how much wood goes into Nitro planes. I have recently converted a Top Flite P-47, which is a gorgeous model but it is build like a tank.

Anyhow, I have been thinking about 50'ish size biplane for a while, but only a few options really exists that is ready for electric. This one seem to fit the bill and I love the Pitts Python. I think, I just need to go ahead and pull the trigger on this one.

Good luck on your maiden.
Thanks Firefly, my giant scale Pitts conversion weighs a lot too. Even the covering is thick...seriously. The AUW should be close to 18lbs!! Not a bad thing as long as the motor can pull it.

The Super Chimunk 70e would be something to consider with a 64" wingspan. Another great plane. Just the wire landing gear is a weak spot, but nothing that can't be strengthened. I love mine. It's no 3D plane, but I don't fly 3D. The wings on that thing are stout and at $114 shipped from All e RC...I mean come on..that's a steal.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 06:22 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jul 2009
113 Posts
That is a great price for that Chipmunk for sure. I am stoked about the Pitts. It will be a great mode. I also wanted to try the new Hyperion motors and ordered the recommended motor. Will see how that works out.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:22 PM
Fogelsville, PA
Joined Mar 2004
670 Posts
Quote:
That is a great price for that Chipmunk for sure. I am stoked about the Pitts. It will be a great mode. I also wanted to try the new Hyperion motors and ordered the recommended motor. Will see how that works out.
You can't go wrong with a Hyperion motor or any Hyperion plane. I'm using a huge Hyperion (discontinued z5045-18) motor in my giant scale Pitts conversion. I also use Scorpions which I've been very happy with, there is one in the Yak 25e and one in the Pitts Python! I mention this because they are manufactured in the same plant in China as the Hyperion motors so I can speak to the quality of them. The Hyperion batteries are nice as well. They hold their voltage well. My large lipos are all Hyperion.....I had some bad luck with the Chinese brand lipos....I have another one sitting in a salt bath as we speak. One flight and it puffed. I had 2 and both puffed so I now stick with Hyperion large lipos.

As you begin to build the biplane, let me know if you have any questions.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 06:54 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
I should have mine Monday at the shop if UPS is nice to me. I fly pretty much nothing but Hyperion planes so I'm guessing this will be just as nice as the rest. Although it's not really made by Hyperion but rather this company: http://dghaikong.com/ Hyperion is also selling the 25 class Zlin and the 57" Yak 55 also which I may also get seeing they are claiming these as limited productions.
JAM is offline Find More Posts by JAM
Old Mar 28, 2010, 08:10 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jul 2009
113 Posts
I have got mine on Friday. I basically took it out the box for a quick damage inspection. Everything came in good shape. The model looks super nice and typical of the quality I came to expect from Hyperion. I have their P-51 and L-19 Bird Dog, I am really happy with both of them. This one also seems to have the same quality. I guess typical of biplanes it looks huge for a 54inch wingspan plane. So far very happy and excited about this one. I am planning to start the build pretty soon.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 08:43 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
My current Hyperion's are the Yak 55 25E, the Extra 260 40E, and my trusty Sniper Foamie. I have had several other smaller Hyperion planes but I just love the larger models. They've got a hot new Stuka now as well. I said to myself no new planes this summer but it looks like I'll have to change that plan.

Jason
JAM is offline Find More Posts by JAM
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:04 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jul 2009
113 Posts
Yeah, I was contemplating their Stuka as well, but when I saw this one, I decided to go with it. Hopefully it flies as nice as it looks.

CV
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:39 PM
Fogelsville, PA
Joined Mar 2004
670 Posts
It was too cold to maiden this weekend, but I did have a chance to test the power. Here is what I found.

My setup is as follows:

Scorpion 4025-10
Castle Creations Phoenix Ice 100a ESC
15X8e APC prop
5 cell 5000mah Hyperion 25c lipo

On the wattmeter, it read 1,235 watts at 65 amps for two runs on a freshly charged lipo. At an AUW of 8lbs we're talking ~154 watts per pound. This should be an interesting maiden.
Last edited by maverickma; Mar 29, 2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 12:23 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jul 2009
113 Posts
I am going for a very similar setup as well, with 1200 watts or so being my target. That should be a sweet setup for nice and easy aerobatics.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 12:30 PM
Fogelsville, PA
Joined Mar 2004
670 Posts
Quote:
I am going for a very similar setup as well, with 1200 watts or so being my target. That should be a sweet setup for nice and easy aerobatics.
I was pleasantly surprised at the results. I figured I could only get that kind of power on 6 cells. I think the motor is heavy since the battery is pretty far from the firewall. I even needed to use some weight in the tail. I'm happy I went with 5 instead of 6 cells.