HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:57 AM
Everyone's got a plan...
NYer in Massachusetts
Joined Jan 2010
577 Posts
Discussion
Your Favorite R/C Warbird- If you could have only ONE...!

There are a lot of planes out there, and to us newer guys the selection can be overwhelming. I was wondering what people would choose if they could have only ONE electric warbird. What is their favorite plane and why? The reasoning doesn't have to be rational, just let us know why. Performance? Quality? Looks? Still has that new R/C plane smell!?

I was inspired to post this thread by my recent return to the T-28 after Gunter the Cowardly Nazi punched out with the battery hatch from my PZ Bf-109 during knife edge flight over enemy territory. While waiting for Heinie von Hofbrauhaus, Gunter's replacement, to arrive in the mail, I flew my PZ T-28. It's the only other plane I have, and flying it was putting on an old pair of slippers. It just felt so familiar and comfortable. I thought to myself, "this plane is pretty close to perfect." Of my two planes, If I could only have one, it would be the T-28. Although, I do enjoy flying the 109 with the Scorpion motor more. (See! totally irrational) The T-28 is just a blast to fly and insanely easy to land. It floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee. No, it really does. It has good stock power and is VERY durable. So that's my choice from all of my both planes!

What's you keeper no matter what?
fallujah03 is offline Find More Posts by fallujah03
Last edited by fallujah03; Mar 22, 2010 at 11:09 AM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:04 AM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
This one.....because its an ME-109, its decent size( 73" ) and looks damn good
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Last edited by kahloq; Mar 22, 2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:07 AM
Everyone's got a plan...
NYer in Massachusetts
Joined Jan 2010
577 Posts
Kahlog, you didn't specify why. Help others understand your choice.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:08 AM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
BUT...if it has to an electric(since you posted this in electric warbirds) then this one....
same reason as the ME-109 E shown above..... its an ME-109, decent size of 73"

The problem for me fallujah is that I have more planes then most ppl do, so choosing just one isnt easy. For looks, the ME-109 for sure, but, for ground handling, ME-109's arent very good.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Last edited by kahloq; Mar 22, 2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:16 AM
Czech rep. near to Brno
Joined Sep 2008
824 Posts
.. I'm more or less only one criterion, and it is closer to what most of the original .....I can not choose one ... I love all my Warbirds But in all honesty, I have this month by FSK Hurricane rather than the other ....
S/L Cechla is offline Find More Posts by S/L Cechla
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:25 AM
Jimmy
United States, NJ, Highland Lakes
Joined Oct 2008
757 Posts
There are a few, but if I had to narrow it down. It would be the GWS P-40 Epo. Just a nice flying plane and looks really cool.
Jimmy1159 is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy1159
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:26 AM
If it flys it can die!
Texas
Joined Oct 2009
892 Posts
I have a PZ Gunny and a PZ Corsair. Only ones I have flown really and I LOVE my Corsair! Just a beautiful aircraft and flies so nice. My Mustang is fun and all and soon will be pretty fast but the F4U is my darling.
LaserSVT is offline Find More Posts by LaserSVT
Last edited by LaserSVT; Mar 22, 2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:38 AM
Joined Jun 2008
353 Posts
The Spitfire of course, short nose MkII, long nose MkIV. With the elliptical wing it's the most graceful warbird of all, bar none. Its such a joy to watch during air combat manoeuvres, whether its electric, nitro, gas or the real full size!

Roger
ForcesR is offline Find More Posts by ForcesR
Old Mar 24, 2010, 08:58 PM
Everyone's got a plan...
NYer in Massachusetts
Joined Jan 2010
577 Posts
I'm gonna bump this just once. I really want to know what planes people find to be their favorites.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:08 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,512 Posts
Having given this some thought, my favorite warbird to fly is GPW's Simple Fokker because it's light, can do anything I ask of it, and I'm not on edge flying it.

-But if I could have only one warbird in the fleet, it would be my Parkzone F4U Corsair. It looks *great* and is a plane that provides a bit more challenge to fly, and can handle some wind.
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:18 PM
Warbird crazy!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Sep 2004
3,733 Posts
Right now I am enjoying my Mossie, but if only one it would have to be my
HK Spitfire.

This plane looks and flies so smooth but with the challenge of a war bird.
I think the Spitfire is among the best looking planes ever built and she looks awesome in flight.

John
new2rc is offline Find More Posts by new2rc
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:34 PM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
775 Posts
I'm going with my GWS P-40.

The 'Hawk is just a classic. That big cowl (especially with a set of shark teeth) tapering back to the triple elliptical tail, the big, thick wing roots...the plane just looks mean and rugged!

This model is done in EPO, so its durability matches its looks. It's regularly amazed me at how it withstands my abuse. Plus, it's heavy so it does better in the wind than some of the other birds at the home 'drome.

And painting it up in RAF 112 Sq livery, I've learned something along the way about those guys in North Africa.

It's been a blast.
Jeff
JMAH is offline Find More Posts by JMAH
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:42 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Feb 2009
721 Posts
although i dont own one. Mine would have to be the eflite p-47. it just looks great and i hear it flys well too.
Santoneski is offline Find More Posts by Santoneski
Old Mar 25, 2010, 03:21 AM
Tank Girl
Western Washington
Joined Sep 2008
175 Posts
Warbirds are like potato chips, how could you possibly have just one?! Seriously, though, I'm up to 7 warbirds now, 8 if you count my aileron/brushless HZ supercub painted like a L4 grasshopper, and if I absolutely positively had to choose just one, it would be my Kyosho FW190, which is just a sweet flyer and really feels like a warbird. It's my biggest plane (7 1/4 lbs), so I can't compare it to the 10-13 lb. warbirds (H9, ESM, etc.), but it just feels right.

Here's a video from last fall:
Kyosho FW-190 (Electric) (4 min 5 sec)

But, what's the plane I've flown the most, that I'll grab and go with most often and is just the most relaxing warbird I've ever flown? It'd have to be my upgraded, customized PZ Corsair. No gear, easy hand launch, can be flown from virtually any grass field, huge thrust and awesome speed, slows to a crawl, tracks beautifully, smooth as silk, totally predictable. Plus, I've got a bomb drop to add to the fun! So it's probably still my favorite flyer. (the prop is just for display; it flies on a 11x7)

So yeah, I know I cheated with my answer, but hey, how can you have just one?!
tankgirlfuzzy is offline Find More Posts by tankgirlfuzzy
Old Mar 25, 2010, 07:46 AM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirlfuzzy View Post
Warbirds are like potato chips, how could you possibly have just one?! Seriously, though, I'm up to 7 warbirds now, 8 if you count my aileron/brushless HZ supercub painted like a L4 grasshopper, and if I absolutely positively had to choose just one, it would be my Kyosho FW190, which is just a sweet flyer and really feels like a warbird. It's my biggest plane (7 1/4 lbs), so I can't compare it to the 10-13 lb. warbirds (H9, ESM, etc.), but it just feels right.

Here's a video from last fall:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEsDIAFcFaQ

But, what's the plane I've flown the most, that I'll grab and go with most often and is just the most relaxing warbird I've ever flown? It'd have to be my upgraded, customized PZ Corsair. No gear, easy hand launch, can be flown from virtually any grass field, huge thrust and awesome speed, slows to a crawl, tracks beautifully, smooth as silk, totally predictable. Plus, I've got a bomb drop to add to the fun! So it's probably still my favorite flyer. (the prop is just for display; it flies on a 11x7)

So yeah, I know I cheated with my answer, but hey, how can you have just one?!

Tankgirl how about a pic of the HZ cub/L4. I've got my own version of this with ailerons though I used the stock motor powered with a Lipo. Plenty of power but I may eventually switch it out.

Too many for favorites but if I had to choose:
1. GWS ME-109 Very fast and looks awesome IMO and uses small batts which I have in abundance
2. TW Do-335 Flies awesome and howls at 3/4 to full throttle. Very cool plane.
3. GWS P-40 Agree with others. Mine is EPS but a beautiful plane and a great flyer once the cowl is reinforced and your Bro in law paints on a purty mouth!
4. GWS T-6 A real docile flyer. My test bed for mods.

Regards,
Alan

My two current faves:
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe