SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 25, 2001, 03:12 PM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
Headed to San Diego and Points North

Lunatics or not, we are currently planning on going on a previously scheduled family vacation to California in October. The basic itinerary (sp?) is to fly into San Diego (spend a few days) then spend a few days in LA, and then basically head north up Highway 1 to the San Francisco area.

Since this is a family vacation, I am constrained by how much Mitch-stuff I get to do. But, I figured I would try to get a lay of the electric/sloping R/C landscape both geographically and schedule-wise to see what I might be able to shoe-horn in.

So, some insight into the possibility of scooting off to a sloppe site from my hotel near Sea World would be helpful. I would probably have to go out there early in the morning and return by 8:30AM ish so that we can do our family touristy things.
Is there a scenario along those lines that could work? Would people be out there early in the morning like that?

Also, as we tool up Highway 1, it would be kind of nice if there was a "rest stop" along the way that coincided with a sloping site.
Any suggestions on that front?

Thanks,

Mitch
Mitch G is offline Find More Posts by Mitch G
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2001, 04:34 PM
Strange Plane Central
Poway (near San Diego), CA US
Joined Dec 2000
1,883 Posts
The san Diego electric club is right next to sea world.
Torrey pines slope is a few miles north in La Jolla.
Dave aircraft works tests their slope planes north of there in San Clemente area.
frankenfoamy is offline Find More Posts by frankenfoamy
Old Sep 25, 2001, 04:59 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
The winds don't "usually" start to come up until the early afternoon - at least that's the way it works in the L.A. / Ventura area. The Torrey Pines Gulls are down in the SD area, and could provide you with some good local knowledge.

In the L.A. area, check out Temescal Canyon (a couple miles north of Santa Monica) for some good slope action. It doesn't have epic lift, but I've never been there when there weren't at least a couple of friendly people out flying. Where are you going to be in L.A.?

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Last edited by PeteSchiess; Sep 25, 2001 at 05:01 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2001, 05:14 PM
Certified Slopehead
San Diego, CA.
Joined Jan 2001
2,268 Posts
Mitch,
I live right next to Sea World, and there are some really fun slopes/cliffs that are less than 10 minutes away, but he is right about the wind. You should try to schedule your sloping in the afternoon, you won't be dissappointed. And yes, the SEFSD club is right there next to Sea World as well and we are always happy to have guests...If you want directions and/or any other information, just shoot me an email.
tenover is offline Find More Posts by tenover
Old Sep 25, 2001, 05:18 PM
multiple celled organism
San Diego,CA,USA
Joined Sep 2001
130 Posts
silent electric flyers
torrey pines gulls
directions.
oh why am i always posting links?
breadboy is offline Find More Posts by breadboy
Old Sep 26, 2001, 11:54 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,518 Posts
When we take guests to visit SeaWorld, I always stop by Torrey Pines on the way. Because the scenery is very nice, and there are lots of parachuter/handgliding going on there too. But usually they are more interested in what's below the cliff. That's where "Blacks Beach" is, a private beach open to public where clothing is optional.

Plus you really don't need to spend ALL day at Seaworld...
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Sep 26, 2001, 12:23 PM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,020 Posts
SLOPE SITES N. OF SAN DIEGO

Mitch, Just north of Davenport on Hi way 1 and I mean on hiway 1 just off actually.....they slope race there excellent lift....I will get the link for South Bay Soaring Society and pass it to you if someone doesn't beat me to it...they can pass instructions to you better than I can at present...Also While your in San Francisco their are several places to fly, one being out at Fort Funston....and if you want to drive a little across the Golden Gate Bridge there is 2 sites on Mt Tamalphias and 1 out on the coast if you want can email instructions for Mt. Tam.......good luck and happy vacation,,,,,and I wouldn't worry about flying their going to have it locked down fairly tight...

Wylie
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
Old Sep 26, 2001, 12:38 PM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
Thanks for the input (keep it coming, in fact).
So far though, I will figure out routes and travel times from where we are staying in San Diego to sites given for that area. Then just keep the info in my back pocket in case a window of time opens up.

In LA, we are going to be hanging with the Mouse, so I really don't see any opportunity while there.

But, I appreciate the Davenport suggestion. That should play into the "why don't we take rest here" scenario. I'll do a web search as well but please post a link if you have it.

Thanks,

Mitch
Old Sep 26, 2001, 05:55 PM
Hacienda Heights, CA
Joined Sep 2000
344 Posts
Mitch-

Here's a registry of soaring sites in the U.S. Check the listing under California for location, directions, descriptions, and some pics:

http://www.shrum.net/cgi-bin/db_tabl...t/fs2-us.shtml

You can plan your trip accordingly. Have a great time.

Jim
JimO is online now Find More Posts by JimO
Old Sep 27, 2001, 01:16 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,372 Posts
Just south of Carlsbad at South Carsbad Beach in N. San Diego County is a cliff where slope fliers get together in a casual scene. I stopped by there while in the area a couple of years ago and enjoyed talking to the pilots. I wasn't an RC'r at the time but you can bet I'll be there next trip with something to fly.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Sep 27, 2001, 12:39 PM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,020 Posts
CALIF SLOPIN

Mitch.....Here is the link for South Bay Soaring Society.....WWW.SBSS.ORG.......Contact them someone there should be of help ....

Wylie
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
Old Sep 27, 2001, 06:16 PM
Joined Sep 2001
4 Posts
ahhhh... Torrey Pines and the ever popular Black's Beach!

and now ladies and gentlemen... your San Diego Gulls!

sorry, couldn't help but reminice about the good old days.
keep your eyes on the puck
SN00PY is offline Find More Posts by SN00PY
Old Oct 23, 2001, 12:48 PM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
Post Vacation Followup

I thought I would give a post vacation follow up. Overall, the vacation was excellent. The weather was simply marvelous all throughout our trip.

Since I was staying about a mile away from the San Diego Silent Electric Flyers' site, I was able to stop by on Saturday (10/13) morning for about 45 minutes. Anyone going to San Diego should try to stop by when there are flyers about. If nothing else, its neat being at a field that is only electric.
I got to see some planes I had not seen in person before: X250, Switchblade, Wattage Cub(s), and a couple of others. I wish I could have hung out longer, but the family was antsy to get to Sea World.

Unfortunately, I did not have a chance to get to Torrey Pines, nor did I see anyone flying north of Davenport when we drove by. But even the little bit I did see added a nice bonus to my vacation.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Mitch
Old Oct 24, 2001, 01:29 AM
Buena Park Ca
Joined Jul 2001
341 Posts
slope soaring

[URL=http://www.gliderdude.freeservers.com] there is a awesome lift hill that i fly at on fridays and saturdays ..la sierra hill in riverside,e-mail me if you would like to check it out
gliderdude is offline Find More Posts by gliderdude