HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2003, 07:26 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,572 Posts
Blue foam Fi-156 Storch

Another all foam from rubber plan. This is a Guiloww 22" enlarged 100% to 44". Again EPS300C and maidened on 7-270 nicads. This was a bear to trim. The CG on the plan was WAY to far rearward for this model. Finally put it 3/4" ahead of plan . First hand launch with rear CG was pretty bad. Mangled up the nose after nasty tip stall. Added 1/8" shim under trailing edge to reduce incidence. 3 flights later it flew great. Will almost hover in slight wind. Again, this model doesn't like wind either. 15 oz with all that wing can really get kicked around. Then just had to try a loop. Did great till the "g's" built up on the downside. Pulled it out and de-winged it! Turned into a lawn dart. Mangled landing gear, nose and of course the wings were off. Took three hours to fix and quite a bit of epoxy. I took the time to put the leading edge slats on and am ready to go again. Flies REAL slow just like the real thing.
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2003, 08:13 PM
Panama City Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2002
704 Posts
Nice Zero and Storch

I am in the process of building a version of Tim H. Ultimate Biplane, and was wondering what you are using to paint or cover
your planes.. They look very nice...I am also interested in the floater's. The Bipe I am working on is posted under the 3dx threat but it is not a 3 d version...34" span, about 20oz's with mpjet 25/35-kans950's berg hitec 55's. Tried the acyrlic paint from wal-mart and used foam brush, but does not look very good.

Any pointers would be helpful.

BobFlyer
BobFlyer is offline Find More Posts by BobFlyer
Old May 29, 2003, 11:22 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,572 Posts
Bobflyer,
Thanks for the nice comment. Don't really think the pic does it justice, I need more light downstairs.
Anyway, I liked how the finish came out and it wasn't alot of work, just a little time consuming.
I start most of the time by drawing the top and side sections( outlines) on two foam blocks tacked together. Then a sureform metal sanding tool to rough shape the fuse while checking cross sections from my reference material. When the basic shape is established, I use a flexible sanding pad, med grit, and bring the foam to final shape, Then it's 400 grit wet or dry sandpaper to final smooth finish.
Get some med weight silkspan( tissue) and use it to cover all surfaces. I dip in water and blot it with bath towel before smoothing on the surface. Once it's damp and where it needs to be, brush on a coat of WBPU. I use Minwax( Satin finish) but any water based will do. Let dry several hours and LIGHTLY sand with the 400 grit. Apply another coat and sand when dry. Three coats usually give a durable smooth surface. Sand this final lightly for paint. Just sand enough to break the shine for applying paint.
I then use acrylic latex interior house paint. I get it from Ace Hardware but any will probaly do. I thin with water about 50/50 ( they say not to) and then airbrush on. If you brush on, use a foam brush and don't thin as much. Two thin coats give a real nice finish.
By acrylic paint from Walmart, do you mean the craft paint? If so, I tried it and didn't have much luck. To chalky. I'm still trying to figure just exactly how to thin this paint when putting it on different paints ( enamels, etc.). Here's a pic from behind of the Storch. It shows a little better. This is going to be a fun airplane.
Let me know if you have anymore questions. John
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2003, 12:57 PM
Panama City Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2002
704 Posts
Thanks for Details on Painting

Thanks for the information, Yes, it is the craft type paints from Wal-Mart...After looking at the nice job that you did, I read the posts on Airbrushes and ordered a Passache (sp?) VL model set from HarborFreight as they were on sale for 49.99 with free shipping for items totaling 50.00 so I added a small items to get the free shipping. I hope that my future projects will come out looking better that this last attempt with a foam brush and acrylic craft paints. A new item to learn Airbrushing....I live in the Airbrush Capitol of the world I think... Panama City Beach, The T-Shirts/ Airbrush artists are on every corner..Even have a stand in Wal-Mart. Maybe I should take my plane to them an let them paint it....LOL

Thanks BobFlyer
Old May 30, 2003, 06:06 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
What a beauty!!!!!!!!!!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old May 30, 2003, 07:02 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,572 Posts
Bobflyer,
You won't regret getting that airbrush. Good brand too. I have one and also a Badger ( 150 I believe). Use the Badger for large sprays and the one you're getting for detail. But yours will work for both. By all means, talk to those T-shirt guys, they know everything there is to know about their art- and it is art! Try the local paint store and get some acrylic latex. I use Satin finish. If you come up with a better thinner than water, let me know. I'm going to try Testors airbrush thinner this weekend, hope it does better than just tap water. You might be kidding, but they might paint your plane just for the experience. Practice, pratice, practice with it. Good Luck.

gpw,
Thanks, appreciate the kind words. John
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2003, 07:06 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,572 Posts
Bobflyer,
I forgot, you can get the aerosol cans to play and practice with but please invest in a good compressor. You will pay for it real fast compared to buying cans. You'll be surprised how fast! I know! The cans don't last very long and are very expensive. One of the best investments you can make in this hobby. Harbor Freight has them too I think.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2003, 02:34 PM
Panama City Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2002
704 Posts
Airbrush

Thanks for the feedback, I have on hand a 5hp compressor and a 20 gallon tank with a regulator, that I use around the shop for other wood working tools, Other that its noisy, once i fill the tank, hopefully it will be a while before it cycles. I will let you know how I make out...It will be about 5 days before the unit arrives.

BobFlyer
Old May 31, 2003, 02:45 PM
Grand Prairie, Texas
Joined Feb 2002
169 Posts
Airbrush Spraying

Thin with Windex, blue tint won't be a problem, works well.

R. C.
R. C. Day is offline Find More Posts by R. C. Day
Old May 31, 2003, 06:54 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,572 Posts
R.C.
Thanks, never would have tried Windex. I did try the airbrush thinner and it worked good for Ace Hardware acrylic enamels but I'm sure Windex is a heck of alot cheaper.

BobFlyer,
Forgot one step. After the foam is shaped and sanded, mix some water with lightweight spackle to a paint consistency and slather on. Let it dry overnight and sand it off. It seals the foam from drinking up the WBPU and fills all the pinholes and gouge marks. Works really good and adds NO weight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2003, 04:49 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,572 Posts
Old Storch hadn't been out in awhile so I took it with the Zero yesterday. A windless day in Wyoming is actually a misnomer. Anything under 10 mph is windless here.
My daughter was taking pics for me. First one:
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2003, 04:53 PM
Moderador.
guadalajara, jalisco, mexico
Joined Sep 2002
9,253 Posts
WOWWW!!!!
this plane looks like is not built of foam, great job, nice paints and ribs efect in wing and elevator.

I flew many years ago a plane like this with a .15 and later another with a .049.

Congratulations. Keep the god work.
Alfredo Rubio is offline Find More Posts by Alfredo Rubio
Old Jul 02, 2003, 04:54 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,572 Posts
I was feeling pretty frisky as I zoomed overhead with the winds picking up as the storm clouds closed on us. No fear from the brave pilot!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2003, 04:57 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,572 Posts
The direction opposite this pic was getting pretty ugly. Still we clicked on.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2003, 05:05 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,572 Posts
OK, it's getting way too gusty for this plane, it flies as slow as the real thing. One more pass for the camera and then I'll land it.........OK, let's just make our famous one point landing ........................RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!
Believe it or not, it did not cartwheel, missed the really hard spot on the road and wound up in the grass. NO DAMAGE!! Gotta love this foam. Feel free to critique the landing if you care to do so.
RCG Plus Member