251 Posts
i give up
mini-Rob is offline Find More Posts by mini-Rob
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2010, 11:47 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
i did say it wasn't a good fix. but it will help a little, just like anything else mentioned would.
jettrooper02 is offline Find More Posts by jettrooper02
Old Apr 10, 2010, 08:33 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2010
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettrooper02 View Post
i did say it wasn't a good fix. but it will help a little, just like anything else mentioned would.
As several others mentioned, the rule of thumb to follow to make a drastic change in temps is to "gearing down some on the pinion" until the temps get in the tolerable range. Everything else is like putting a band-aid on a broken arm... might help ever so vaguely, but not really address the issue at hand.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:31 AM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
yes. as i said. but if your only a few dergrees from where it's good, and the gearing is so low it is unable to not wheely, it might be a good idea to use a cooling fan to bring it down a little more.

wait, what tires are you running? if htey are bigger than sc tires that would explain it, because the motor then has to move more wheel hich requires more work. i know it will sound wierd, but the tire size has a part in the vehicles speed. for instance, i'm running 2.2 tires on a savage. it goes slow. bring those up to jumbo kongs, now it's fast. i can't remember exactly what it's called, but i know it's right.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:38 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2010
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettrooper02 View Post
yes. as i said. but if your only a few dergrees from where it's good, and the gearing is so low it is unable to not wheely, it might be a good idea to use a cooling fan to bring it down a little more.
25 degrees is more than 10% over the max recommended temp, so it's hardly a just "few" degrees

it's impossible to go "so low it is unable to wheelie" since the basic premise of lower gearing is that it allows for quicker take off speeds.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 01:31 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
of you didn't notice, i said unable to NOT wheely. lol lol lol. next time read my post carefully.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 05:54 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2010
251 Posts
next time you might might try not writing "double negatives"

"A double negative occurs when two forms of negation are used in the same clause. In some languages (or varieties of a language), negative forms are consistently used throughout the sentence to express a single negation. In other languages, a double negative is used to negate a negation, and therefore, it resolves to a positive."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_negative

roflol
Old Apr 10, 2010, 07:37 PM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-Rob View Post
next time you might might try not writing "double negatives"

"A double negative occurs when two forms of negation are used in the same clause. In some languages (or varieties of a language), negative forms are consistently used throughout the sentence to express a single negation. In other languages, a double negative is used to negate a negation, and therefore, it resolves to a positive."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_negative

roflol
Can't see a ''double ban'' being a positive in any way, shape or form.
Click here for the forum rules. Here for clarification, and a specific quote:

Quote:
Banned Users Aren't Users

User moderation and bans are often the subject of discussion. If a user is banned he is not protected by the personal attack rule. It is perfectly ok for other users to discuss the ban and the user receiving the ban.

We can call this the "fair game" exclusion to the personal attack rule. During the period of a ban, the user is not considered a user. He is "fair game" instead.
Go here to find the recent infractions list.

Attachment 3175800

Thread derailment. Sorry.
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Last edited by Jonathan Bradbury; Aug 18, 2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:08 AM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
don't be, that was very good to point out.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 01:12 AM
Under Warranty!
Washington State
Joined Feb 2006
495 Posts
I used a small fan on my mini revo, I have it rather aggresively geared and I will say that although it does not cool it down drastically the important thing to factor in is that it provides a "constant" airflow over the heatsink. I had some temp shutdowns before using the heatsink and fan. After using the heatsink and fan, I had much longer run times before any heat interferance. Using a fan never hurts.
2sicMiniT is offline Find More Posts by 2sicMiniT
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:35 AM
Phish + VW
Stuyvesant, NY
Joined Mar 2007
286 Posts
Could binding in the drive train cause temps to be hot? Maybe the slipper clutch adjustment?
Phishnvdub is offline Find More Posts by Phishnvdub
Old Apr 17, 2010, 01:43 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2010
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishnvdub View Post
Could binding in the drive train cause temps to be hot? Maybe the slipper clutch adjustment?
I'd have been happy to help, but I got
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:12 PM
Under Warranty!
Washington State
Joined Feb 2006
495 Posts
Wow, sorry you could not get an answer to a simple question.

Yes, you want your drivetrain to be as free as possible. That is why in considering the best possible "gear mesh" is the closest to your motor as a source of possible "binding."
Make sure everything moves freely and you will run with minimal heat. Next step is gearing and then voltage.
Old May 19, 2010, 06:58 PM
Sturgis, MI
Joined Oct 2009
55 Posts
Update

Finally got some time to play today. Same set-up, except using a cooling fan for the ESC. I did not run it till it went into thermal shutdown or low voltage cut-off. About a 20 minute run then checked the temps.

The motor was 190deg F, Esc was at 135f and batt was at 92f.

I think what happened before was that I ran it after the low voltage cut off had cut power to 50%. The manual also says that the ESC will go into thermal shutdown, level one cuts power to 50%, level two shuts the motor off.

My Question, are these new temps "OK" after a 20 minute run.
JLH Racing is offline Find More Posts by JLH Racing
Old May 19, 2010, 07:49 PM
Under Warranty!
Washington State
Joined Feb 2006
495 Posts
Only temp I would really worry about trying to bring down is the motor. Get yourself a wraparound heatsink to help disipate the heat. This will at least help pull the heat away from the heat sensitive components. Your ESC temp is good and batt is not bad.

Strange thing that I have wondered for a while now is why I had setups when I first started with rc that ran lipos that were warm, but now they run cool. I wonder if this is because I don't use small wires anymore? What size wires are on your lipo?\

Your real test will be in the heat of summer, what your temps will be then. I wonder.

Good Luck.