HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2010, 08:55 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,436 Posts
WOW! That's a great color the metal flake gives it that retro buggy feel from the early 70's. All you need is an Evel Knievel bike and action figure set to go with it. The parts look great Bravo! Thanks for sharing.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2010, 05:39 PM
Love the Jugs
Kingsley Mi.
Joined Jun 2006
947 Posts
Ok, I added some white, more than I planned but I like how it's looking. I plan to add a silver pinstripe between the two colors to act as a "break"

I also reproduced the original stickers on decal sheet. This is my first attempt at making my own decals so don't laugh if it get's screwed up. Any advice here would be appreciated.
x-craft is offline Find More Posts by x-craft
Old Apr 13, 2010, 07:40 PM
Love the Jugs
Kingsley Mi.
Joined Jun 2006
947 Posts
The silver is was taped off and sprayed this evening. I used model masters aluminum for this, it covers really well without building up so edges are nearly non-existant. Once the clear gloss coat goes on I would think this should really pop. I need to experiment with the decals and see what I can safely spray over top of them though. For those of you wondering, I do not plan to use the stripes on the decal sheet, I mainly wanted to make this sheet so I could get the original sponser decals like Gumout, Accel, bilstein etc.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:41 PM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
Very cool, Tim X !!

Thanks for sharring it with us !!

I had a Cox gas car back around 1970..... I wish I still had it ...lol lol lol...
I also had a Dragster that I have no idea what happen with eather ...lol lol lol...

I do still have a car very much like this one you have called a Kyosho Assault.
It is still in pretty good shape but needs restoreing also...
I think I got it about in 1980 or so.
My first purchase from Tower Hobbies ...lol lol lol...

Thanks for contacting me !!

Seeya, Tim
Tim Farrar is offline Find More Posts by Tim Farrar
Old Apr 16, 2010, 07:04 AM
Love the Jugs
Kingsley Mi.
Joined Jun 2006
947 Posts
Hey Tim, glad to see you stop in and check out the thread and good to see your still around. Once you get your shop set up again you should get that Assault going. I love this vintage stuff!

I applied a few decals after doing some experimenting with compatable sealers. Once I get a little more done I'll post a pic or two.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:36 PM
Love the Jugs
Kingsley Mi.
Joined Jun 2006
947 Posts
Experimentation done with the decals and how to use them the best I started to apply them to the model. The instructions with the decals say that they don't need to be coated or sealed before using but I found that they would tend to curl up at the edges after applied. I tried a couple different products and found that by spraying a coat of Krylon Acrylic clear spray cured the problem. I plan to give the entire body at least three coats of the same spray after the decals and trim is completed. I changed the colors of some of the original stickers so they would show up. For any of you die hard vintage guys please forgive me for commiting such an atrocity but remember while I wanted this vintage car I also wanted a custom look while trying to keep the 70's era look, I hope this makes sense. The more I do to this ride the less I believe it will be run
Old Apr 18, 2010, 05:13 PM
Love the Jugs
Kingsley Mi.
Joined Jun 2006
947 Posts
More work on the Champ and the body is nearing completion. I have all the decals placed and everything will need clear coated after the paint has time to cure out so I don't chance wrinkling. The wing still needs attached and I have to put together another set of lights that mount on the front suspension uprights. I think the next step is to work on getting this ride running now. Boy this thing is a far cry better than it was when I got it.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 06:24 PM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
You really got it looking brand new, Tim X

You'll be driving it hard before you know it though I bet !!...lol lol lol...

Ya, I cant wait to get started working on my shop !!
I dont think it will be very much longer !!

Seeya, Tim
Tim Farrar is offline Find More Posts by Tim Farrar
Old Apr 18, 2010, 06:41 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
WOW ! great work! that is a huge improvement from what it was.
jettrooper02 is offline Find More Posts by jettrooper02
Old Apr 18, 2010, 07:37 PM
Love the Jugs
Kingsley Mi.
Joined Jun 2006
947 Posts
Thanks guys, I'm really pleased with the results.

Tim, the intention with this car is not to run it hard. Maybe in a parking lot once in a while but no off roading for this one. It's to valuable in my opinion and after doing all that polishing I'd have a real hard time getting it dirty
Old Apr 18, 2010, 07:47 PM
MultipleCrashSurvivor
USA, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jan 2003
2,886 Posts
Looking good. What the does the FS stand for on that rear plate?
drksyd is offline Find More Posts by drksyd
Old Apr 18, 2010, 09:29 PM
Love the Jugs
Kingsley Mi.
Joined Jun 2006
947 Posts
I believe it's a reference to the dampening system on the rear of the car which is known as FFPDS (Free Floating Progressive Dampening System). Don't chisle that in stone but it's the only thing I can come up with that's relatable to the FS cutout on the back plate.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:25 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,300 Posts
Very nice! Looking that good it may be heading for the life of a shelf queen.....
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:16 PM
Romans 8:28
California
Joined Mar 2010
408 Posts
Paint Removal

Hey Buddy,

An excellent way to remove the paint is with Easy Off Oven Cleaner. Spray it on, let it set for about 15-20 minutes, and wipe it off. (You might have to do this a few times, depending on how thick the paint is.) The paint slides off right off, and it won't harm the plastic. Just be sure to do it in a well ventilated area, and DON'T wash the remains down the drain. It'll clog the pipes. I used this methood on my Lunch Box with some used bodies I bought off e-bay. They were horribly painted, and the Easy Off worked beautifully! (You can see the results on my blog.) Good luck. gby

Oh.....never mind! I just saw your results. Nice job!
peacekeeper94 is offline Find More Posts by peacekeeper94
Old Apr 20, 2010, 04:35 PM
Love the Jugs
Kingsley Mi.
Joined Jun 2006
947 Posts
Thanks for the input on the Easy Off oven cleaner. Sounds like it goes faster than the brake fluid. My method probably took a week of soaking and scrubbing but worked really well. Either method sounds like a good one but next time I'll try the easy off.