Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 29, 2010, 04:05 PM
Love the Jugs
Kingsley Mi.
Joined Jun 2006
947 Posts
We'll find out if that statement is true sometime in April as I have a baby due soon. I'll check and see if her bottom really shines as well as my finely polished parts.
x-craft is offline Find More Posts by x-craft
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2010, 09:32 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-craft View Post
We'll find out if that statement is true sometime in April as I have a baby due soon. I'll check and see if her bottom really shines as well as my finely polished parts.
That's funny congrats on the new baby. I have three you better get that car done, the support equipment for them babies is pricey Oh and get some sleep now your going to need it.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Mar 30, 2010, 07:10 PM
Love the Jugs
Kingsley Mi.
Joined Jun 2006
947 Posts
Thanks, I'm trying to sleep between work, work and more work oh, and polishing the Champ fits in there somewhere.

I have enough parts polished up for the front end that I could do a little assembly. I was going to wait until I had everything polished up so it's in kit form but decided I couldn't wait to see how it was looking. I'm pleased with the results.

I also started the body soaking in Brake fluid while I work on the chassis. As you can see in the photo's, after a 24 hour soak the paint has started to wrinkle and peel nicely. Now that the initial peeling has started I can see progress quicker, I'm sure that's because the fluid has an edge to get under to help loosen the paint. This is a slow process but from what I understand the fluid will remove the paint without hurting the plastic at all. The really unfortunate thing here is that I'm loosing those vintage stickers. I mulled over this for quite sometime, destroy the stickers and do something that I want to do, or save the stickers and have an ugly car? Obviously I picked "destroy the stickers".
Old Apr 01, 2010, 09:15 PM
Love the Jugs
Kingsley Mi.
Joined Jun 2006
947 Posts
More progress on polishing up the front end and stripping the paint. I only have a few parts to go and the front suspension will be ready to completly reassemble. The paint stripping is going really good, slow but good Here's a few pics.

Nothing on the front end worked well when I got this car. The dampers had absolutely no oil in them and felt like sandpaper and the steering was very "sticky", that's the best way I can describe it. With everything cleaned up the control arms move very freely and work great. The shock has been cleaned out and oiled up. It does not appear to leak but may require a rebuild kit if they do.

I think I mentioned this is going to be a cabinet queen, I'll maybe take it out to run in a parking lot or in the house. After all this work I couldn't imagine running it through the dirt. Besides everything on this car is to valuable to break! The rear bumper on tends to break easily as I know from past experience. Currently a replacement bumper is selling for $48 on Ebay Dang, I should part this baby out and triple my money!...........NOT!
Old Apr 02, 2010, 12:33 AM
MultipleCrashSurvivor
USA, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jan 2003
2,886 Posts
If this is a shelf queen and everything is stock, I say keep the blue and look for some stock decals or paint it that way. Classic all the way.
drksyd is offline Find More Posts by drksyd
Old Apr 02, 2010, 05:45 AM
Love the Jugs
Kingsley Mi.
Joined Jun 2006
947 Posts
Drksyd, I've been strongly considering doing exactly what your suggesting but I'm also dreaming up a nice metallic burgundy and silver graphics paint job. Just like when I build aircraft I'll change my mind 25 times before settling on an actual scheme. I've looked for decals but have stuck out on that front, their pretty rare for sure. I feel bad for destroying the decals but it's the only way to get the paint off and that yellow had to go.

As far as this car being all stock, the only thing that's not stock is the front dampers. Somebody at one time removed the suspension springs from the front and added the coil over shocks which are cool but not stock. If I could find the original springs I'd put them back on.
Old Apr 04, 2010, 12:57 PM
Love the Jugs
Kingsley Mi.
Joined Jun 2006
947 Posts
I finished up polishing the body mounts and antenna mount. After cleaning up the radio gear tray that mounts over the battery, everthing is assembled. The paint stripping is complete, obviously the body is not usable the way it is so after a good washing with dish soap and hot water, the body is primed and the paint stripping stage is officially completed. Still undecided on the color yet, I really like the blue so it's possible I may come up with a scheme that will use something close to the original color.
Old Apr 04, 2010, 02:56 PM
MultipleCrashSurvivor
USA, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jan 2003
2,886 Posts
Since you have the stock stickers on the wing/roof, I would go with a color that matches the red (blue, red, silver, black, white or yellow). Then choose the color that will compliment the wheels. If you find stock front wheels, blue or red would look good with the white plastic. If you go with your burgundy, flat black wheels, silver, or brushed aluminum would be nice. Just my opinion. It's looking good so far.
Do you have the driver as well? Did it come with window nets?
Old Apr 04, 2010, 04:45 PM
Love the Jugs
Kingsley Mi.
Joined Jun 2006
947 Posts
Yes, it came with the driver and window nets. I have a set of chrome wheels that match the fronts. I just have not swapped them out yet. The more I look at this and try to envision the finished product I think I may shoot for a blue and silver combination paint scheme.
Old Apr 04, 2010, 05:27 PM
MultipleCrashSurvivor
USA, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jan 2003
2,886 Posts
Man, a resistor ESC would really take it back. Waiting to see what you come up with for the paint.
Old Apr 04, 2010, 05:50 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drksyd View Post
Man, a resistor ESC would really take it back. Waiting to see what you come up with for the paint.
Let me look in my box of extras I think I may have an old wiper bar it might be a long shot but I'll look If I find it X craft is welcome to it. I do have an old Am 2 stick radio It's got to be from the middle 80's would give it an old school flair. Now we just need a Barret Jackson concourse and red carpet for the car.
Old Apr 04, 2010, 06:08 PM
Love the Jugs
Kingsley Mi.
Joined Jun 2006
947 Posts
Very generous guys, I have an old manual speed control that I'm guessing is a "wiper bar" and I have an old kraft radio, it's a pistol grip so it looks a little more modern. I was thinking of hollowing out the bottom of the old speed control to see if a newer esc can be installed so it's more modernized but has an old look yet, I believe I've since pushed that idea aside.

In the pic you can see the speed control that was in the car when I received it.
Old Apr 04, 2010, 06:18 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,371 Posts
Either way It's a great little restore.
Old Apr 04, 2010, 09:26 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
I commend you for taking your time and doing this nice vintage rig right. Very nice polishing!
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Apr 12, 2010, 06:01 PM
Love the Jugs
Kingsley Mi.
Joined Jun 2006
947 Posts
This is the current state of the super champ resto. I have a dark blue metalic sprayed and I'm currently in the process of taping off the body for a little white trim. I was debating between using white or silver and unless a last minute change is made, white it is. Should make for quite a contrast. I know it's not true to the original "champ" but I'm itching to do a little graphics work on this one.