HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2010, 04:15 PM
Calhoun, GA
Joined Dec 2006
731 Posts
Discussion
Reccomendations for my Dad getting back into the Hobby

My Dad bought a plane for us when I was just a kid, around 8 years old. We eventually sold it or crashed it or something and he no longer has anything left of it.

Now, almost 20 years later I got back into RC flying with an electric Parkzone Corsair. Now that he's seen me fly it, he wants to get back into RC flying also. I tried to convince him that electric would be easier and cheaper for him to get back into things since he could use a lot of my equipment, but he's pretty old school and set in his ways.

He wants a Cub, and a rather large one like 40+ inch wingspan and he wants fuel. He also likes the process of building a kit, which I don't enjoy as much as him, so a kit or an ARF would be best.

Is there a large cub out there that is pretty easy to fly (he's not a beginner, but it has been 20 years) and the cheaper the better.

I don't know anything about the larger planes, what size servos he needs, what size engine he needs, etc. He would be able to use the same radio as me, correct? (DX7 and ar6200).

Times are hard as everyone knows, so if he can get back into it for $200-300 that would be excellent, but I know very unlikely. Can anyone recommend me a place to start and a price range I should throw at him?
crash331 is offline Find More Posts by crash331
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2010, 07:01 PM
Joined Jan 2009
207 Posts
Hi cash 331, I'm am still pretty new to this hobby, but starting out in glow from scratch for this price will be challenging. Hangar 9 sells an Alpha trainer which is RTF meaning it comes completely built with the engine, servos, and a Dx5e radio. It sells for $299 shipped. However, if you want to go that rout, I would get the Hangar-9 P51 MkII. It is also RTF, but comes with a Dx6i and an AR6200 receiver. The plane flies pretty slow and gentle with the NAPA droops installed and the flaps down, but can be quite fun too without the droops and the flaps. It sells for $399 which is above your quoted price but to me a better deal than the Alpha since it comes with a better radio. These RTF are cheaper than going with an ARF and buying the components separately.
Of course if you want to go with an ARF, there are several web sites which sell somewhat off brand ARFs such as nitroplanes.com. Nitroplanes charges a lot for shipping and you may find other websites which sell the same plane cheaper. They have a 71" Piper cup which will probably run you $125 shipped. Then you could go with a cheap .46 Magnum engine (or the .52) from Tower Hobbies with a couple of standard servos, prop, RX battery, foam, glues, etc. The main components (ARF, engine, battery, servos etc) will probably run you around maybe $275. So it can be done, but the problem is that once you do an ARF you have to buy all the little nick knacks in the beginning such as glue and building tools. And then you still don't have a receiver or a radio.
So long story short thats why I would suggest the Hangar 9 P51 RTF. Starting out that's just your cheapest option.
sp3hybrid is offline Find More Posts by sp3hybrid
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:29 PM
Calhoun, GA
Joined Dec 2006
731 Posts
Thanks for all the info, I'll look into it and pass it along to my Dad.

The $2-300 price point isn't firm, it's just what he'd like to see. he can always put it off a few months if he absolutely has to spend more.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:54 PM
Joined Jan 2009
207 Posts
Hi crash331. I am really not the best source of information here since I am fairly new too and I am just naming some of the things I have come across. I hope some of the other guys on here will chime in and give you some more useful hints. I was also thinking the cheapest airframe for an ARF will be a high wing trainer. If your dad doesn't mind starting out with a trainer you could get a tower trainer 40 with a thunder tiger pro 46 engine and 4 standard servos from tower hobbies. The TT pro 46 is a very reliable and good first engine. If your dad wants to use your radio (DX7) you need to get a full range DSM2 receiver, the less pricey being an AR500. The plane, engine, receiver and accessories (epoxy, ca glue, foam etc) should run you about $250 if you apply all the possible discounts from tower (tower doesn't sell the AR500 but you can get it on the web for $50 shipped if you look around). You will need to be a "club member" there to get these prices so maybe you are or you know someone who is. That is the cheapest I was able to come up with for a bind and fly ready glow power 40 size plane. But if you think about it you still don't have a radio, so if you compare that to $399 shipped for the Hangar 9 P-51 with a DX6i and an AR6200 receiver that to me is still the best deal. Just my 2 cents.
sp3hybrid is offline Find More Posts by sp3hybrid
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:09 PM
United States, WA, Bremerton
Joined May 2009
469 Posts
I like your dad already - old school!!

If it were a matter of just getting back flying - I'd probably recommend finding a Futaba Conquest FM on e-bay for about $25 or so - with or without radio/servo's etc -

That's a single radio system but still good to get back in.

Then you can pick up a good used engine on e-bay - and save for the plane kit...

That's the cheap way, otherwise hit up Towerhobbies and put one of those package deals together for about $350 or so...
ScottTurchin is offline Find More Posts by ScottTurchin
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:57 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,746 Posts
As your dad will surely find out, the R/C world has changed considerable since he was last in it. Kits are dwindling and ARFs and RTFs are the norm nowadays.

That being said, IMHO, the best place to get a Cub kit is from Sig. They have a half dozen Cub kits of various sizes, from the 35" Herr E-Cub, up to their 1/4 scale Cub kit. The 1/6 scale Cub or the clipped wing version may be just what your dad is looking for.

www.sigmfg.com

...and a direct link to the R/C scale kits page
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2010, 01:06 PM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
IMO what you are striving for here is success. The Cub is a great aircraft but it has a tendency to ground loop even with experienced hands at the controls.

My recommendation is to set him up with a standard boring trainer, let him get re-acquainted with the hobby and encourage the right kind of practice. Situational orientation, recovery and rudder use should be high on the list. If he could get some time in on a tail dragger or even convert the trainer to tail dragger this would be good.

Cubs are a lot more airplane than people think, do a search in this forum and you will see what I mean.

In any event I wish you both the best of luck, it's great you can share this hobby.
Lightnin is offline Find More Posts by Lightnin
Old Mar 22, 2010, 01:54 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,498 Posts
This was mentioned by sp3hybrid:

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/HAN4400.html

Looks like a pretty good setup.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Mar 22, 2010, 03:41 PM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
This was mentioned by sp3hybrid:

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/HAN4400.html

Looks like a pretty good setup.
Many people have gone that route and done well, it's a good product.

The only "kind-of" negative is that radio is a single model radio and the engine. It is a good idea to get a radio with the ability for several "model memory" definitions. This way you don't need to buy another radio for a long time. The evolution trainer engine pack is bottom end.

The DX7 is a good entry radio with 20 model memories.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM2710

So you could get an ARF with engine and use this radio.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN2065

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EVOE0461

So for a little bit more money you have an better engine (read as to use in another model), and a radio that will grow with you.

So for about $550, ($250 more) your getting a substantial return no your investment.

There are other companies where you can purchase an inexpensive trainer and a good engine and save more.

Just another way to go.
Last edited by Lightnin; Mar 22, 2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 08:49 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Apr 2008
920 Posts
Here is a very good start all from one place with a 3 installment plan. I don't order from Tower (From Canada) so someone can chime in on super saver club and discount codes.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXSEJ8

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCAS2&P=SM

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKF96&P=0

Radio comes with receiver, servo's, battery(receiver), battery(transmitter), Charger for radio and plane, neck strap, and switch. $485

All you need is fuel, fuel pump, chicken stick and glow starter to go fly.

I own a GP 1/5 scale cub and I would not recommended it for a beginner. Good luck

Even cheaper would be to buy a receiver that would work with your radio. Although flying together at the same time would be exciting for both.
Mikecam is offline Find More Posts by Mikecam
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:57 PM
Calhoun, GA
Joined Dec 2006
731 Posts
What problems does a cub come with?

He hasn't flown in a long time, but neither had I when I bought my Corsair. Lots of people didn't recommend a low-wing warbird, but I adapted fine. My Dad is the same way.

I see him getting bored aesthetically with any type of trainer. He really likes scale flying, as do I. Nothing like a low pass over the runway with the Corsair.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:25 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Apr 2008
920 Posts
I had a bear of a time with my cub and I thought I could fly quite well. My opinion is you really need to be ready on the rudder and to use it. Once I learned to use my rudder almost forcefully (is what I would call it) then the cub was much easier. That said you can't force a cub around especially taking off or landing. In my first 4 attempts at take off I ground looped it 3 times. The first try had a nice takeoff so I thought everyone was exaggerating the ground handing. The next three attempts involved the tail coming around faster then I thought possible. Mine is the 81" wingspan and any cub with a 40 " wing will be even harder to control on takeoff.
It's only my opinion but if you like the nice low fast look of a corsair then the cub won't be exciting. You say he will get bored with a trainer type plane but the cub is a trainer type and flies very slow, with the added bonus of being hard to control sometimes on the takeoff run.
I would show him an Avistar and maybe move up to the Thunder tiger 46, now that would be a plane that could run low and fast down the runway.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPY56&P=SM

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKF97&P=0
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:30 PM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash331 View Post
What problems does a cub come with?

He hasn't flown in a long time, but neither had I when I bought my Corsair. Lots of people didn't recommend a low-wing warbird, but I adapted fine. My Dad is the same way.

I see him getting bored aesthetically with any type of trainer. He really likes scale flying, as do I. Nothing like a low pass over the runway with the Corsair.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...ground*loop%22

Check the posts from the above search.

No one is trying to hold anyone back here, but your getting some really good advice meant to give you guys the best chance at success.

Here is a Google search to help fill you in on the cub tendencies.

http://www.google.com/webhp#hl=en&so...0f3b167a3fb4f3
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:42 PM
Calhoun, GA
Joined Dec 2006
731 Posts
Oh yeah, no doubt I appreciate the advice, but I have learned in the past that I have to take the advice and adapt it to my situation.

If I would have followed everyone's advice to a T when I got back into flying after a 20 year hiatus, then I would now own 2 or 3 planes before my Corsair that I don't really want.

I just went straight for what I wanted and haven't looked back. I think it's mostly because I flew flight sims through my teen years like crazy. And really in depth flight sims, like Falcon 4.0 where you started in the hangar and had to fire up the engine just like in a real F16.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:58 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Apr 2008
920 Posts
I hear you Crash. It's all good here, read and take in what you can. Balance that with what you need, exactly what these forums are best at. I taught myself to fly at the age of 38. This year will be my 3rd year. I started with a nexstar, then a 4*40 and then a 60 size TF P51 with a saito 125 on the front in the first year. The P51 flies fast, low and inverted 5 feet off the deck. Then last year I bought the cub for an easy lazy Sunday flier, my cockiness was slightly shaken with the Cub, it is harder then it looks. I then put together an Extreme Flight 88" Yak with a DLE 55, wonderful airfoil. My cockiness was back.
One other plane to look at might be the escapade, scale looking and with the cheaper 40 or $10 more 46 thundertiger would be plenty fast. It is also inexpensive. Good luck with what ever you chose and remember to tell your Dad to stick with the hobby even if it doesn't work out perfect to begin with. It is lots of fun. Look into a club as well, the first year I just flew myself but last year I joined a club and the fun and friendship has been great.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXVXN8