Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:45 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,442 Posts
Cool
Another micro sloper

well here is my entry into the micro slope glider field

all thick balsa fuse and wing heavily sanded for smooth rounded shape. i had thought to go with a solid balsa fuse and carve the outline sand the crud out of it then finally hollow it out with a dremel. yeah it sounded a little daunting so i went with the thick wall rounded box structure. here are some specs:

span 14 in
chord 1.5in
length 8.5in
weight 18 grams
rx is the kyosho pz brick
batt is a 100mah 20c
added about 3 grams weight to the nose for balance.
i also wired in an on/off switch so i dont need to remove the wing to shut it off.
the fuse was designed literally around the brick. i havent really got to fly it yet and havent finished the color. preliminary tosses show it will be a fast one, so it should do ok in heavier winds as long as its clean air

questions and suggestions welcome!
Derrik
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:50 PM
Founder of the EDF20 club!
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
Cool! This makes me want to make a micro sloper of my own!
all4smallrc is offline Find More Posts by all4smallrc
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:55 PM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4smallrc View Post
Cool! This makes me want to make a micro sloper of my own!
DOOO EEEET!!
not too hard, just about anything with enough drag or lift will fly on the slope!
Old Mar 21, 2010, 01:18 PM
Westbrook Maine
Joined Apr 2003
594 Posts
Looks like it will be a nice flyer. Did you attach the wing with a screw? I'm with all4smallrc, all this glider talk has me starting to think I should get one together soon. Spring is here, and the thermals are starting to get more active here (at least the local raptors seem to be using them more in the past couple weeks.)

Fritz
fmhans is offline Find More Posts by fmhans
Old Mar 21, 2010, 01:30 PM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,442 Posts
Fritz, yeah i have a screw in the back and a ply tab on the front.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 01:35 PM
Fly DW foamies!
longmont, CO
Joined May 2006
1,285 Posts
that is soo cool! i have some vapor guts i could use to make one. maybe i will
appleflyer is offline Find More Posts by appleflyer
Old Mar 21, 2010, 01:50 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,319 Posts
make it out of foam, then you have micro COMBAT!!!!!
Mr. Combat Certain is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Mar 21, 2010, 01:54 PM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orni-freak View Post
make it out of foam, then you have micro COMBAT!!!!!
i thought about it but, at this size its harder to make a foam plane with a good glide ratio and wind penetration for the same weight. also balsa is stiffer so it will have more energy retention.
micro epp wings are already out there and not hard to make into a sloper, the smallest for sale i have seen is 16 inches, would likely weigh around 2oz as a slope glider. this is a different animal altogether, its both micro but high speed (hopefully) so it should fly with the big boys
Old Mar 21, 2010, 02:25 PM
Joined Sep 2006
794 Posts
Wow very nice Derk I read the thread that started this the micro mite sloper i think i might get my Vapor brick and make a sloper too =]

B36
b36roxs is offline Find More Posts by b36roxs
Old Mar 21, 2010, 03:13 PM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,442 Posts
well guys, just went out on a local mini slope search, and came back wet and happy
i managed to find a large (probably 80-100ft) dirt plateau with a large expanse of flat ground on one half and the wind happened to be blowing towards it.only problem was, there are no roads real close to it and a construction site not far in front of it. so i had to park at a local city park about a mile away and walk down the paved path to the base. on the way the rain decided to sprinkle a bit, no big deal i think. by the time i get to the top, the wind has picked up a bit and blowing right up the outside corner but the rain picked up with it. i figure, the rain might only get worse so i turn it on and give it a firm toss....
first it sinks a few feet, then a small gust hits and BOOM its 15 feet up from the top and going strong! it could turn a little better but it flies great for a mostly TLAR build!
i did a number of passes finding where the lift was best, and only had one relaunch. probably 2 more good passes and i turn a little into the hill, too much appearently as the tail raises and i lost rudder authority and nosed in on the top. popped off the forward sheeting but no major damage.
so even when wet, she was still flying strong! so after it dries out, i am going to finish the color and SEAL the wood with some clear coating.
maybe this will motivate some of you guys to try it out
sorry i didnt get any pictures but i was all alone on this outing.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 03:54 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,319 Posts
so how was the energy retention?
Mr. Combat Certain is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Mar 21, 2010, 04:08 PM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orni-freak View Post
so how was the energy retention?
better than foam

i'm not saying that you cant build a decent foam glider, but its a little harder to get the sharp edges and smooth curves that balsa can get for the amount of work put into it.

i think this one also benefits from a higher wing loading and airfoil to match. the loading works out to be around 4.4 ounces per sq ft if my math is right. a little high for a micro but lower end for a glider.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 04:11 PM
Founder of the EDF20 club!
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
Sounds like it flies pretty nice! Now we need a video!

I think I'm going to build mine out of 2mm depron and 1mm balsa. I'll probably go for about the same size. For electronics, I'll use a PZ brick (if I can find it because I can't remember where I had it last and it seems to have disappeared) and a 70mah battery.
all4smallrc is offline Find More Posts by all4smallrc
Old Mar 21, 2010, 04:37 PM
Brandon Mississippi/Independence Kentucky
Joined Oct 2000
553 Posts
Derk:

Way to go! I'm glad to see another micro sloper.

Ralph B
Ralph B is offline Find More Posts by Ralph B
Old Mar 21, 2010, 04:40 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
936 Posts
I'm thinking about building a mico sloper also. But that's because I am soooooo tired of the constant wind I may as well make the best of it .
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE