HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2010, 05:34 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,731 Posts
Reacher, WE got your 35 bux worth. Thanks for the trip.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2010, 09:11 PM
LI, NY,
Joined Oct 2008
1,964 Posts
It was too windy for the maiden but I found out ther was rotted wood in the battom where the landing gear attached. Did a little lift off like the other day and had a little bit of a hard landing and the gear came off. Thats when I saw the rot. No biggie, it's an easy fix and I'll that area a little stronger.

I also need to put a small piece of glass cloth over the wire thats hinge pin for the rudder.

I'm still grappling with the wind screen. This will require the most effort of all.

I left the clear finish and I think it looks pretty good. Now when I get the motivation the paint will get redone.

The guys at field couldn't believe it was ready to fly already.

Here are some pics.

Hey everyone...Thanks for taking the ride with me.

Stay tuned for the maiden.
reacher10 is offline Find More Posts by reacher10
Old Apr 01, 2010, 07:08 AM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
639 Posts
Very nice conversion job reacher. You will find the Champ very easy to fly. I learned to fly with the Dmeco Cub which is similar to the Champ. This is an approved plane in the Vintage RC Society. http://www.vintagercsociety.org. We will be holding an event Labor Day weekend in Owego, NY and I host an event in Southeast PA on the Columbus day weekend.
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old Apr 02, 2010, 02:28 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,216 Posts
If it turns out you're not happy with the aerobatic ability try adding some area to the rudder first before you go back to your aileron option.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Apr 07, 2010, 09:32 AM
LI, NY,
Joined Oct 2008
1,964 Posts
Here's a short video. It's taken with a gum cam but it's something. I'll get some better quality vids as the season progresses.

It flys like..well...A Champ. I can fly it inverted and am getting more comfortable with each flight. It really is a sweet plane. I put a 35-42 1100kv motor with two 3S 2650's in parallel . It's putting out about 280 watts and the extra power is just nice to have. I can get 15 mins NP.

Debolt Champ-IT IS ALIVE.AVI (3 min 8 sec)
Old Apr 07, 2010, 10:12 AM
LI, NY,
Joined Oct 2008
1,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Denest View Post
Very nice conversion job reacher. You will find the Champ very easy to fly. I learned to fly with the Dmeco Cub which is similar to the Champ. This is an approved plane in the Vintage RC Society. http://www.vintagercsociety.org. We will be holding an event Labor Day weekend in Owego, NY and I host an event in Southeast PA on the Columbus day weekend.
Thanks Mike,

I just started out a year ago with RC planes, I raced RC sailboats for a few years but it's really nice knowing I own a plane thats got some serious history.

I have a couple of other projects right now however after those I will turn my attention back to the Champ. I'm going to go with the royal blue and cub yellow. The covering job I did came out just fine so just the fuse will get painted except in the area's that have a clear finish. I'll recover the wing to match the paint. The wind screen will be sheeted in wood as there is no way to make it from clear plastic with the battery hatch being a part of it.

I hope the guy who built and flew this is looking down and approves of the changes.
Old Apr 07, 2010, 11:00 AM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,360 Posts
Beautiful!

Gives you chills when you think about it a minutes.

Thanks for sharing, and caring.

Kimberle'Mare'
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Apr 07, 2010, 09:00 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,216 Posts
From the looks of the job done in the photos and that vid he's smiling with you.

Oh, and from the glimpses I saw of your hair and face I have to ask what it's like to fly a model, not a design but THE ACTUAL MODEL that is almost certainly older than you are by quite a few years....
Old Apr 11, 2010, 02:48 PM
LI, NY,
Joined Oct 2008
1,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews View Post
From the looks of the job done in the photos and that vid he's smiling with you.

Oh, and from the glimpses I saw of your hair and face I have to ask what it's like to fly a model, not a design but THE ACTUAL MODEL that is almost certainly older than you are by quite a few years....
I think I might have the model beat by a couple few years. The horz. stab was raised up on the fuse and I believe this design change was in 62'. I was born in 60'.

As for the hair...yes, at 50 years old I have alot of hair with no signs of it thinning, in fact just within the last year say, I starting using reading glasses and I prolly could use regular glasses. When I went to the optomitrist she said I really didn't need them...go figger.

Been outta work for a year and half so I don't need the office hair cut.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:01 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,216 Posts
Ah, well done! I see you've been doing your homework on the history of the Champ. I hadn't known of the shift or when it was done.

You're lucky to have the dome padding still. Being of 1953 vintage myself I had to start wearing hats about 8 or 9 years back to avoid dome burn.....
Old Apr 15, 2010, 07:24 AM
United States, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Feb 2007
652 Posts
wow ! I still have my dad's debolt live wire champ circa 1952.it hangs in my workshop in perfrcy condition never flown! I still have the babcock rudder escapement in the original box and the electronics my dad built to fly the plane.along with vecco wheels.I kep it to remind me it my father that ignited my love for model planes.just before he passed away he gave me his collection of engines.it includes ohlson herkimer, McCoy redheads ,disels.plus a couple ucontrols like a testors with a forester 29.

I thought of covering it and making it an electric .I saw one done by the aeroguidance society of vintage planes .but I just like looking at it and remembering childhood days ..
propnut07 is offline Find More Posts by propnut07
Old Jun 10, 2010, 03:42 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,720 Posts
Here is my father's Midwest Livewire Champ that I rebuilt:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=midwest+champ

I love flying mine. She prefers light wind. Floats/flies like a dream.

-Lee
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:28 AM
USA, VA, Luray
Joined Dec 2010
4 Posts
Another Champ - with ailerons

Hey y'all, I just found this particular thread and thought I'd throw in my 2-cents.

I recently got a Champ that was originally built with ailerons, for those who might not have tried them on this classic plane. I've flown it since this past summer.

The ailerons work just fine, if used with rudder. However, with winter upon us and very little flying taking place right now, I've decided to remove them and restore this classic to what she should have been in the first place - which in my case means 3-channel.

She's got an old OS-25 in her, which makes her just a bit over-powered, but I tend to fly her mostly at around 1/3 throttle anyway, so that's OK. Also, quite a few novices have tried her (buddy-cord, of course) and she's quite the lady with a newby at the controls.

All in all, a wonderful plane!!

Dave
DWittich is offline Find More Posts by DWittich
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:36 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWittich View Post
Hey y'all, I just found this particular thread and thought I'd throw in my 2-cents....Dave
Dave, thanks for sharing the pics! Looks great. My original kit flew with an OS .20 and was still overpowered.

Too bad you're way up there in Virginia. Would be nice to find another Champ flyer down here in Texas.

Hope the rebuild goes well. Post pics and video.

-Lee
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:57 AM
USA, VA, Luray
Joined Dec 2010
4 Posts
Hey Lee - I wouldn't at all be surprised if there aren't a few Champ-fliers in your neighborhood anyway. Since I first posted in RC Universe about this bird I've been contacted by something like a dozen people in and around Virginia that also fly DeBolt Champs, Bipes & Trainers.

Hmmmmm, wonder if something like the old DeBolt get-togethers still exist somewhere. You're right, would be fun to have a bunch of them together for a weekend.

Dave
DWittich is offline Find More Posts by DWittich