Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 21, 2010, 05:34 AM
Joined Mar 2010
2 Posts
Discussion
OS Max 37 sz Hring won't start

Hello,

Tried to start this engine, fitted to a helicopter, today. I bought it new last year. It was broken in, and used on the chopper a couple of times last Spring.

Trying to start it today and when I attach it up to the starter, it can barely turn the engine over - seems very stiff. Any ideas?
jonotaylor is offline Find More Posts by jonotaylor
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2010, 06:58 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,747 Posts
The fuel and any castor oil in the engine is probably all gummed up, or your bearings are rusted badly. There's three ways I know of to free a gummed engine: heat, fuel or dis-assembly. You can try a heat gun on the sides of the engine, being careful to not to damage any of the plastic parts.

If that does not do the trick, then flood the engine with fuel. Remove the glow plug, rotate the crank so the piston is at bottom dead center. Use your fuel pump and literally fill the engine with fuel. Let it sit for a while, rocking the crank back and forth to work the fuel through the engine. When it's sufficiently free, pour the excess fuel out of the cylinder and muffler. With the glow plug still out, gently tap it with your starter, which will blow out the excess fuel. You might need to repeat this a couple times.

If fuel flooding does not do the job, you are probably in need of a set of bearings, so it'll have to come apart. If you pull the backplate, You should be able to see what's going on inside.
Hemikiller is online now Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2010, 05:17 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,027 Posts
remove the glow plug and see if that has thick goo on it then feel how stiff the engine is without the glow plug.
Also check if the carb barrel mooves freely or you could overload your trottle servo.
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Mar 22, 2010, 06:45 AM
Joined Mar 2010
2 Posts
Hello all,

Removed the glow plug, it is clean. Engine equally difficult to turn over with it removed. Carb barrel moves OK.

I will take the engine out next weekend and see if I can find a problem - in the mean time, my starter has stopped working - left it connected to the car battery while I wrote the above post and by time I got back it had stopped working - it was hot, but did not smell, so not sure what the problem is. Maybe it's just the starter that wasn't working properley. Will get a new one and see.
jonotaylor is offline Find More Posts by jonotaylor
Last edited by jonotaylor; Mar 22, 2010 at 07:24 AM. Reason: typos