HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:46 PM
United States, Death Valley
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Discussion
Lander mig-17 build and mods

Ok, well I know quite a bit about the 17'. I was happy that one was finally made in foam/edf format.

My thoughts on the Lander version is as follows:

1) Very nice made landing gear, but mains are way too high. We wont go into the real gear geometry the migs used (nightmare to make) This simple setup is fine for these models. The Lander retracts and struts are outstanding!

2)Outline is not bad! it has contour errors in the nose, once again can be lived with

3)No anhedral with the high swept wings.

4) Internal layout is ahhhh... well not the greatest. It's fights contrary to the real migs design.

5)Geometry errors for the control surfaces in the wings. While it will work the way it is, it would be nice to have the servos and rods 90* to the hinge lines.

6) Overall a nice model, very robust construction with lots of carbon spars.

We start with the layout with the nose and gear/intake. No reason at all this model needs a cheater intake that will vacuum clean the strip, I fly from dirt so this had to go. Also a clean inside will reduce overall drag.
SilentHunter is offline Find More Posts by SilentHunter
Last edited by SilentHunter; Mar 21, 2010 at 12:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:50 PM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Make yer' anhedral... well the best you can. A swept wing like these needs anhedral to keep it lookin' good and to make it have roll neutrality.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:52 PM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Paint that bling! migs dont usually come with chrome wheels. i did like the aspect ratio of the included main tires, so we fix em'
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:08 AM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Warped up wings... Lander gets an F for this $ hit. no real way to fix so we live with it. At least both panels are equally screwed up.

Are they all like this?
Last edited by SilentHunter; Mar 21, 2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:19 AM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
878 Posts
great information.....thanks for posting
teryn1 is offline Find More Posts by teryn1
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:21 AM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
You are my hero!!! Finally someone doing something about it. This is all what kept me from getting one. Mainly it is the lack of ducting. Like you said all the lander jets are a nightmare in the inside. I cant wait to see you finish this one. You plan on making ducting? I love the color you picked too. How are you gonna power yours??
Rock on dude!!!
Brg, Joe
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:22 AM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Linkage geometry... or lack of. the elevator is the only surface which needs to have skewed geometry, the wing is just a bad placement of the servos.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:25 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
LOL!!!! You said it! Any way you can get a pick or two of the crappy ducting....excuse me, Mess??!!
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:25 AM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Joe the internal ID of the fuselage IS the ducting, just like the real one. The trick is to contain all the drag stuff inside the center faired section. simple idea.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:29 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Just like a bvm mig right? I have a new K@a composite mig. With tams new ducting. I can never figure out why these manufacturers put time into making a plane yet never actually finish it. Meaning to really think it out before puking up a mediocre at best design. If he just put ducting in them,anhedral in the wings and fixed just a few other things that would be the difference between ok and great.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:30 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
What if you cut those carbon wing joiners and use an aluminum or thin metal plate to help with the anhedral? Would that work? Or is that gonna really throw everything elose out of whack? IE: ;landing gear, etc..
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:31 AM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Yes exactly. I had the Composite ARF Mig, and it has similar ducting as the BVM. The thing with this foam is, its so thick that a fiberglass internal duct is not needed at all, its already there!
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:34 AM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
No redoing all the factory glued in spars is way outta the scope here.... we can cheat some and join the wings "crooked". Its really not enough anhedral but it beats the flat factor wing for sure. I did not want to turn this into a huge refit project that would include cutting the wing up completely.

Ah well, lest we forget this thing is 200 bucks. 10 years ago what RC jet could you get for that price! LOL

That still does not mean that they cant get their tooling correct...It does not cost more to do it right the first time.
Last edited by SilentHunter; Mar 21, 2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:54 AM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavochkin View Post
You are my hero!!! Finally someone doing something about it. This is all what kept me from getting one. Mainly it is the lack of ducting. Like you said all the lander jets are a nightmare in the inside. I cant wait to see you finish this one. You plan on making ducting? I love the color you picked too. How are you gonna power yours??
Rock on dude!!!
Brg, Joe
I got a HET 90mm with their 1200watt 6s motor. the aluminum EDF, while a nice piece, is too heavy. It has no merits, Ramtec and BVM and others have used glass filled plastic why aluminum now.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 01:03 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Lander was on the whole dissipating heat thing. The skyworld fans are aluminum and a lot lighter than landers. Id use a tried and trusty wemo midi fan. Or if ya want to spend a few bucks use tams TJ-90 shroud which a 7 stator design and all carbon fiber with an alumium center body with heatsink fins to dissipate heat. Then use a wemo midi rotor on it. Sounds awesome and really puts out the power. He has a really wicked new design adapter for them now too.
The het is a great fan too. Lander made all his fans with that goofy inlet ring attached instead of making them normal.
Yours outta go like hell once your done with it. How much room is in that thing for lipos? If you wanted to go 8s could you? Could you fit 5000's in there? Like two 4s or two 3s and a 2s? I am curious.