Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:26 PM
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Feb 2004
1,463 Posts
Build Log
CYRIL.....Successful Maiden!!!

I have decided that I better get this thing built and in the air and the cancellation of the Torrey race gives me plenty of time to get er' done.

I started with a mockup of the fuselage and everything seems to fit quite well. I have not epoxied the tray in place as I wanted to be sure this was the way I wanted to go. Everything lines up perfectly. I especially like the threaded ferrules that slip on to the carbon pushrods. Makes it very easy....

So far so good...on to getting the harness wired up so I can get the tray epoxied in....

I'm not sure what servos I am going to use in the wings....the kit calls for 3150 Futabas, but I might improvise and go w/ 378's...not sure....I really wanna run 5 cells....

The hard part will be the RDS...I've never installed an RDS system so hopefully with some guidance I will get er' knocked out.

B
Brandon is offline Find More Posts by Brandon
Last edited by Brandon; Apr 17, 2010 at 01:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:45 PM
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Feb 2003
2,370 Posts
Nice. That's why ur selling your Ceres.

BTW, current 3150's should work with 5 cell Nihm's w/o any problem according to others.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=996241&page=6 (post #84 and on...)

Adrian
codezilla is online now Find More Posts by codezilla
Old Mar 21, 2010, 03:32 PM
Joined Feb 2004
1,463 Posts
Question for all you RDS tech guys...

Do I need to offset the throws in my radio for the flap servos with RDS or ?

Thanx!

B
Old Mar 21, 2010, 07:13 PM
Can you spot the giraffe?
Glasgow, Scotland
Joined Jun 2005
832 Posts
Radio setup with RDS is no different from conventional linkages.

Looking at your pics, 3 things come to mind

1) It looks like you fitted the servo tray before putting hte fuselage wiring loom in place - you may have a problem getting the wiring in now.

2) I hope you put an aerial tube down the fuselage already. Doing this afterwards is even harder than getting the wiring in place.

3) You seem to have some of those nice little plywood cubes that arrived with my Cyril. If you figure out what they're for, let me know!!!

David
daleksw is offline Find More Posts by daleksw
Old Mar 21, 2010, 08:03 PM
Joined Feb 2004
1,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleksw View Post
Radio setup with RDS is no different from conventional linkages.

Looking at your pics, 3 things come to mind

1) It looks like you fitted the servo tray before putting hte fuselage wiring loom in place - you may have a problem getting the wiring in now.

2) I hope you put an aerial tube down the fuselage already. Doing this afterwards is even harder than getting the wiring in place.

3) You seem to have some of those nice little plywood cubes that arrived with my Cyril. If you figure out what they're for, let me know!!!

David
David,

I have not yet secured the radio tray in place. I did remove the radio tray and run the wiring harness to the nose, so all is well.

I have also installed the ball links to the tail and the tailplane is done!

I will make sure and run the antenna also before I epoxy tray in place.

I was wondering what the tiny little plywood blocks are for as well.....they are really small and I'm not sure just exactly where they go....hmmm....

I will commit to epoxying in the tray this week and then it will be on to the wing.....

B
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:30 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,333 Posts
I think that there is some other Cyril threads that go over what those blocks are for, but I can't remember.... I'll do a search for you guys.

Maybe post a photo of the blocks in this theread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...75&postcount=8

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Last edited by target; Mar 21, 2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 06:21 AM
Can you spot the giraffe?
Glasgow, Scotland
Joined Jun 2005
832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
David,

I have not yet secured the radio tray in place. I did remove the radio tray and run the wiring harness to the nose, so all is well.

B
Oops, sorry, somehow I missed the bit where you said it was only a mock up. Must read more carefully in future and not just look at the pictures!

David
daleksw is offline Find More Posts by daleksw
Old Mar 22, 2010, 07:14 AM
Joined Jan 2010
185 Posts
Quote:
Question for all you RDS tech guys...

Do I need to offset the throws in my radio for the flap servos with RDS or ?

Thanx!

B
On my RDS Ceres the Flap servo center gives around 45 of down flap.
I then use subtrim to bring the flap back to level, and work from there.

This model was built by the Baudis crew
ceres-syd is offline Find More Posts by ceres-syd
Old Mar 22, 2010, 08:17 AM
isoaritfirst
Not a Brummie/but close
Joined Sep 2005
1,403 Posts
Hi Brandon, I used a digital servo tester to dial in full servo deflection and then mounted the flap torque rod so that, viewed end on they were pointing straight down.

Obviously when everything was then connected up the full flap deflection was the same as the torque rod angle (guessing about 70degrees) and when the servo was centred the flap was at around 20 degrees down.

So yes flap offset is required to bring it back up to straight and level.

There is no need to worry about servo speed or pushing servos with 5 cell pack, this model is very responsive on 3150's and 4 cell.

Mike
isoaritfirst is offline Find More Posts by isoaritfirst
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:24 PM
Joined Feb 2004
1,463 Posts
Update...

I think I have decided to go with the 378's in the wing and also move the radio tray up to the nose area of the fuselage. Doing this will give me more freedom when it comes time to secure the ballast tube and save some room as well.....
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:26 PM
Yorba Linda, Ca.
Joined Oct 2003
2,189 Posts
Subscribed...

Quote:
Update...

I think I have decided to go with the 378's in the wing and also move the radio tray up to the nose area of the fuselage. Doing this will give me more freedom when it comes time to secure the ballast tube and save some room as well.....
Terminator is online now Find More Posts by Terminator
Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:59 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,394 Posts
Brandon,

I epoxied hard plywood rails on the insides of my Lift fuselage and then screwed the servo tray into the rails. Worked out really nice as I could unscrew the tray, slide it back and remove the battery. It also gets the servo weight more forward.

I know it's a strong setup because I speared it two weeks ago fully loaded and the servo tray didn't pop out The spars and wing joiner on the other hand....

Mike

Quote:
Update...

yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Old Mar 24, 2010, 01:09 PM
Albatross in next life
SAN DIEGO
Joined Dec 2002
301 Posts
[QUOTE] I epoxied hard plywood rails on the insides of my Lift fuselage and then screwed the servo tray into the rails.

I like this idea. I have been relying on a hot glue gun as opposed to epoxy for installation stuff since it can be forced out & peeled off -- it's really good for tacking wires down and securing the battery up front (adjusting nose weight becomes a breeze ); hot gluing the servo tray is debatable so the 'rails' approach sounds great. If hot glue is used be sure the plane doesn't sit in a hot car baking away to 100+ degrees -- that I NEVER do as high end moldies can warp that way. BTW I just got an HKM Space Pro (smaller Sharon) to learn winch flying and the guy epoxied the NiCD battery in ... it was a tight fit as is so I don't know why he did it and to replace the battery I will need to literally saw the nose off

p.s. When situating the receiver velcro or hot glue works nicely. Servicing the sailplane is inevitable & will save you or the guy you eventually sell the plane to A LOT of headache

p.p.s Brandon better bring his Radical & Cyril to San Diego if the F3F event ever takes place ... I have been saving my drool
Toby W is offline Find More Posts by Toby W
Last edited by Toby W; Mar 24, 2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 01:35 PM
EUROPHIA PETE
London England
Joined Oct 2009
147 Posts
batteries epoxied in

Hi there

I too bought a 2nd hand Sharon Pro where the guy epoxied the cells in place but I found if you are VERY VERY careful and use your heatgun directed with a blast deflector fitted you can heat the epoxy and make it flexible again

A bit of CAREFUL levering with a broad bladed screwdriver will separate the epoxy away from the cells or the glass of the fus

Please DO NOT direct the hot air blast squarely onto the nicad cells and wear the clear plastic goggles you get with your power drill at all times

It works if you are CAREFUL

If you must epoxy things in place (wing servos etc) wrap them carefully and tightly in masking tape, epoxy them in and, to remove cut the tape with a Stanley knife - this system is a real servo saver in accidents involving the hard, unforgiving ground

Good luck

Pete
Pete Beadle is offline Find More Posts by Pete Beadle
Old Mar 24, 2010, 03:10 PM
Joined Feb 2004
1,463 Posts
RDS installation will begin tomorrow afternoon.....

Radio tray will also be secured....just waiting on the 5 cell pack from CPB.com.

I don't expect to have too much difficulty with the wing, but would really like to have a servo programmer to help with installation....

B